technicolor tg589vac owners thread

Associate
Anyone had success logging in via SSH? My box clearly has an ssh server running, but isn't happy with any credentials I offer it, including those for the web interface. Wondering if it is configured to only provide SSH access to a specific hard coded user. I've tried 'administrator' and 'engineer' using the access key as printed on the box itself, both to no avail. Trying to get IPv6 working...

I have the Technicolor MediaAccess TG589vac v2 and it works for me. :)

Username: engineer
Password: is the ACCESS KEY found on underside (even if password has been changed via the web interface)

Code:
~$ ssh engineer@router
engineer@router's password:

|                 |           o             |            
      |---  ,---. ,---. |---. ,---. . ,---. ,---. |     ,---. ,---.
      |     |---' |     |   | |   | | |     |   | |     |   | |  
      `---' `---' `---' `   ' `   ' ` `---' `---' `---' `---' `  
                 N E X T   G E N E R A T I O N   G A T E W A Y
 --------------------------------------------------------------------
 NG GATEWAY SIGNATURE DRINK
  * 1 oz Vodka          Pour all ingredients into mixing
  * 1 oz Triple Sec     tin with ice, strain into glass.
  * 1 oz Orange juice

Product: vant-8_r16-2
Release: Jade (16.2)
Version: 16.2.7064-2201011-20170207212801-d592e891575d5fd3ba62668fd85dd2574bca7b1e

Hash config:         d592e891575d5fd3ba62668fd85dd2574bca7b1e
Hash openwrt:        246337582b1542cf5dbc0f9d2f19a0ea9500c4fc
Hash kernel:         d94a9b191cb4708f8b98dcb521298108ffd2f95a
Hash custo:          01381b6688b690ce9a54355ec085ba000c1c4a0d
Hash technicolor:    fe192c9f4ab79625ff4986c7a42da854ebf6dd4e
Hash lte:            546ac206f18443faf0e44720f4bfd28274f82851
Hash mindspeed:      91b6a7a4d703268d6023c3a58da3d33fc62e7ed8
Hash packages:       f07af7c7968e10e3e707d03d755aec232cffc6ec
====================================================================================
engineer>help
AVAILABLE COMMANDS:
===================
  add  (AddObject)
  apply
  count
  del  (delete,DeleteObject)
  dmesg
  dsldiagd
  get  (GetParameterValues,gpv,GPV)
  getpn  (GetParameterNames,gpn,GPN)
  ifconfig
  ifstatus
  ip
  iptables
  list
  logread
  nslookup
  ping
  ps
  readlogfile
  reboot
  resolve
  route
  rtfd
  set  (SetParameterValues,spv,SPV)
  stop
  subscribe
  tcpdump
  traceroute
  ubuscall
  ubuslisten
  unsubscribe
  upgrade
  reload
  help
  exit
engineer>exit
Connection to router closed.

~$

Works via the web interface too, however if you change the password here it only affects the web login, NOT ssh login.

There are additional options available logged in as engineer, see below.

302x6ht.png

HTH.

Caporegime
Dad got a TG589vac in order to get a router with a matching chipset, but the username and password keeps defaulting back to SSE one.

Will Nick's firmware fix it?

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Does anyone know of a (decent) wireless repeater/extender that will work with this router? Unfortunately my old router doesn't have the capabilities to do this so I'm putting it out there! Ta.

Associate
Dad got a TG589vac in order to get a router with a matching chipset, but the username and password keeps defaulting back to SSE one.

Will Nick's firmware fix it?

A lot of routers will use the 'TR069' feature to dial home and it's possible SSE Firmware is somehow resetting the information. With most suppliers, if you factory reset the router, it will default back to whatever is configured in the firmware.

By updating the firmware you should be able to overcome this. If you have a Technicolor TG589vac (version #1, the black topped one), then it should resolve the issue. Please note, this is at your own risk. This isn't the latest version and some features are missing, but out of all the firmwares I've used I've found it to be the most configurable.

Associate
Does anyone know of a (decent) wireless repeater/extender that will work with this router? Unfortunately my old router doesn't have the capabilities to do this so I'm putting it out there! Ta.

My personal weapon of choice is TP-Links Powerline Adaptors. Using wireless extenders to boost the range of an already depreciated wireless signal isn't the most reliable. It only takes one part of the chain to suffer issues and the devices at the far end lose connectivity, lose packets of data, or experience high latency. In addition, I've had customers report issues when using multiple wireless extenders/access points.

Unfortunately Technicolor routers don't currently support Mesh (as far as I'm aware) which would be great in an environment where Powerline Adaptors cannot be used.

I hope this helps.

Caporegime
A lot of routers will use the 'TR069' feature to dial home and it's possible SSE Firmware is somehow resetting the information. With most suppliers, if you factory reset the router, it will default back to whatever is configured in the firmware.

By updating the firmware you should be able to overcome this. If you have a Technicolor TG589vac (version #1, the black topped one), then it should resolve the issue. Please note, this is at your own risk. This isn't the latest version and some features are missing, but out of all the firmwares I've used I've found it to be the most configurable.
Yes it resolved the issue. Thanks.

Associate
Does anyone know where the list of devices is stored with this router (file wise)? Basic issue is that Vmware guests don't show up in the router as connected devices, even though the router has given them an IP Address. I want to manually add the missing (connected) devices to whatever magic list the router decides actually exist. I've tried allocating a static DHCP lease, but even though the device gets an IP address, it never appears in the list of devices that I can add a port forward rule for, and there is no way to bypass the list in the GUI. I've got both engineer SSH access, and now also root SSH access following a guide to manipulate the WPS button function using the engineer ssh login. Its darn frustrating, all I want to do is port forward to a network bridged VM guest. You'd think it would be easy....
Any help gratefully received.

Associate
Has anyone setup a firewall rule on this? Trying to block one of my cheap Chinese IP cams from being able to connect out, however I'm not sure what I need to enter in the destination IP to get it to block it being able to connect to anything external. I've tried my WAN IP but that didn't do anything.

Associate
Hi,
I have been using NickDJ V. Good tutorial to ssh the router and export the config.bin file, build version below. I wonder if there is a way to edit the file to enable to Time of Day settings on devices?

PREAMBLE=THENC
BACKUPVERSION=1.00
BOARDMNEMONIC=VANT-8
PRODUCTNAME=MediaAccess TG
BUILDVERSION=16.1.6735-1941004-20160623170717-ecbd6cbee7f2cd3e37005946df8ddf8efa1351c7

Associate
Hi, not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread but I'm looking for a copy of the 15.4 firmware for the tg589vac v1. nickdj website seems down so I can't get it from there. I've had to dig out my sse router to use as an ap since my current nowtv router had no usb ports. I also don't want to reformat my HDD as fat32. Thanks!

Associate
Hi, not sure if anyone is still monitoring this thread but I'm looking for a copy of the 15.4 firmware for the tg589vac v1. nickdj website seems down so I can't get it from there. I've had to dig out my sse router to use as an ap since my current nowtv router had no usb ports. I also don't want to reformat my HDD as fat32. Thanks!
i have a copy of the firmware if you still need it

Back
Top Bottom