Best place to buy a tailored suit (C. London)

Soldato
As the title says, I am looking for somewhere to buy a decent quality, tailored suit. Preferably in Central/East Central and < £800 for a two-piece suit.

£800 really is the upper limit, I would prefer to spend less. If it is going to cost more than £800 I will hold off for the time being. Saville Row seems to be a bit too expensive although I haven't had a proper look in all honesty.

Any suggestions?

Transmission breaker
Don
Head down to Saville Row.
Speak to the various tailors there, and find out who can cater to your budget. £800 is doable, probably just not in the big names.
Otherwise you could just get measured up and get something made in Singapore for a lot less and sent to you?

Man of Honour
Primark is great for value.

Très drôle, yes, if you’re destitute, or going to a tramp’s ball.
No idea what this place is like, or their prices, but I noticed it when I was driving a Black Cab, I think it’s called Cad and Dandy, or The Cad and Dandy, it’s in Birchin Lane, between Cornhill and Lombard Street, City of London.

Associate
As the title says, I am looking for somewhere to buy a decent quality, tailored suit. Preferably in Central/East Central and < £800 for a two-piece suit.

£800 really is the upper limit, I would prefer to spend less. If it is going to cost more than £800 I will hold off for the time being. Saville Row seems to be a bit too expensive although I haven't had a proper look in all honesty.

Any suggestions?

£400 economy flight to Bangkok, 2 x great tailored suits for £300, £100 left for beers

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I think it will be a stretch getting something from Saville Row at £800, but it is doable, though not made to measure. I got my suit made to measure on Saville Row back in June, it cost quite a bit more and was more than I initially intended to spend but hell it was worth it. When I look at my wedding pictures, while not overly vain, I'm incredibly pleased I got a suit which fit me perfectly, though it did cost more than my wife's dress :o

My mate got his wedding suit from one of them for ~£1k, but it was off the shelf with alterations, not fully tailored. If you want fully made to measure it's going to be at least double and in that case, @Richard - London's suggestion isn't half bad.

I didn't go in every tailor when I was looking, but I did most, including Ozwald Boateng, where you are looking ~£3k but their service wasn't worth the price tag. It was run like a retail store with young, inexperienced, salesmen rather than the older boys who have experience.

What's the occasion? Honestly, the rest of my suits are Charles Tyrwhitt level, off the shelf with alterations and they do a smashing job to make it fit well. With alterations you can make any suit look a million times better, taking the leg in a bit, the jacket in slightly. You can get a decent three piece, with alterations at CT for under £400.

Soldato
If you're looking East, then https://www.fieldingandnicholson.com/ might be able to help you out. Alternatively you could look at off the peg discounts from the Gieves and Hawkes outlet in Hackney - http://www.gievesandhawkes.com/outlet/tailoring-outlet.html

Mark Marengo was on Saville Row until recently - the rents have gone through the roof in recent years, and have forced a fair few mid-level tailors out. https://www.markmarengo.com/ I wouldn't place too much on the website, as the stuff on there looks rubbish but the different cuts and materials he offers is quite broad. I got a summer wedding suit for about £700.

Soldato
This but Hoi An, Vietnam.
That's where I got some trousers and shirts made before I started my first job. Maybe I went to one of the cheaper places, but I'd associate going far east for this sort of thing with a budget more like £300, as in it goes a lot further there than here because once you go past £200 there's not much improvement in suits until you go a lot higher. But at £800 I wouldn't risk an overseas order, especially as it's enough to buy something of real quality here.

@Jean-F it's called Cad & the Dandy. I went in their Saville Row shop when I was scouting out wedding suits. Thought I'd saunter in and see how far my £400 budget got me. Turns out not far. I am now better educated on the price of tailor made suits.

Associate
William Hunt on Saville Row has a sale on at the moment, quite fond of their suits and shirts. Can get a few of their £800-900 suits for around 500-600.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will check them out.

Funnily enough, I was speaking to a friend that bought two excellent tailored suits from Thailand, however, I don't plan on travelling there any time soon.

The occasion is work; I have a few decent suits but I am looking for something special. If I can't find anything suitable from the tailors listed above I will probably go down the Charles Tyrwhitt route with alterations.

Soldato
Have never understood the need to wear a suit, let alone spendimg hundreds, and sometimes thousands, of pounds on them. They're just impractical and uncomfortable.

Soldato
I had a suit made by a suit that fits. They'll take all your measurements and you can choose the fabric, as well as specify a huge number of other options. They then send your spec off to Nepal to be tailored.

I was very pleased with the service and quality of the suit.

(No, I do not work for a suit that fits).

Caporegime
I think you're more into made to measure territory.

If you're going to go off the rack then M&S have tended to make decent suits.

Associate

Any suggestions?

It depends what you mean by "tailored" really.

You can get any suit tailored to fit you better and it'll look much better when it came off the rack. Something like https://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/suits comes in well under budget and I like their tailoring.

A few years ago your budget would have got you into a good quality made to measure suit, but not sure anymore. Made to measure uses a standard suit pattern but modified to suit your body better. Worth checking exactly what will be modified from the standard pattern as it can vary.

Finally there are bespoke suits, where a custom pattern is cut just for you and pretty much endlessly customisable. These can cost few k so out of budget.

Back
Top Bottom