Connecting driveway lights - Best electrical connector ?

Associate
Hi All

Am looking to replace some driveway lights. They are the in the ground type, and will be subject to damp/moisture etc

I am thinking about the best type of connector to use. I could use the waterproof inline connectors, but they are a bit bulky, and room is tight. Or I was thinking about using heat shrink butt connectors, and then using a liquid electrical tape type product over the top. What would be best long term ?
]https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/KBJB0011.JPG

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...ink_Butt_Connector_1024x1024.jpg?v=1509552791

Thanks

Mehul

** Do Not hotlink images **

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
In my experience you need to consider any outside connections as one of the most important elements of the job as i regularly see even well done connections fail.

Especially if these connections maybe difficult or cause a lot of disruption to access later on

What tends to happen is water ingress causing the rcd to trip out and then either a big or awkward repair job or disconnecting the wiring to stop the tripping leaving you with useless non working lights etc

Best to see if you can design in a way to keep the connections accessible and above ground by say 2", preventing them being buried or sitting in damp soil/ground will help a lot

Even correctly ip rated junction boxes with correct glands for the entries fail in my experience over time

If you really cant avoid buried connections etc i would use the best quality highest rated ip box you can with correct cable size for a tight fit on the glands / entries and then fill with gel

Might seem like a lot of effort now but could be the difference in it working for 1/2 years or 10+

Based on my experience of having to fault find these things and trace cables around peoples flower beds and around gardens to keep finding jbs full of water and mudd with rusty connectors inside etc and a lot the time getting to a point where you cannot go any further without doing damage to access things and then just ending up leaving them disconnected etc

Soldato
We use the resin filled jointing cases at work. Your not far from me if your location is correct i could put a couple aside for you if you wanted to collect them.

Associate
OP
We use the resin filled jointing cases at work. Your not far from me if your location is correct i could put a couple aside for you if you wanted to collect them.
Hiya

Sorry for late reply, have got it sorted now, I think, as have found a connector that is small enough to fit under the lights and is water tight. But thank you for your generous offer.
R

Mehul

Back
Top Bottom