*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
Use this instead:

Code:
configure; set interfaces openvpn vtun0 config-file /config/openvpn/de84.nordvpn.com.udp1194.ovpn; commit; save

Seemingly the Edge Routers have slightly different command syntaxes.

You're going to have problems though, each time the USG checks in with the controller (every few minutes from memory) that extra config you added will be removed. You need to add the custom configuration using a file called 'config.gateway.json' saved on the file system of the controller so that this config is added into the USG by the controller.

Hav]

I did the same tonight but with the pseudo interface method. https://owennelson.co.uk/accessing-a-modem-through-a-ubiquiti-usg/

Code:
{
    "interfaces": {
        "pseudo-ethernet": {
            "peth0": {
                "address": ["192.168.2.1/24"],
                "description": "Access to Modem interface",
                "link": ["eth0"]
            }
        }
    },
    "service": {
        "nat": {
            "rule": {
                "5000": {
                    "destination": {
                        "address": ["192.168.2.2"]
                    },
                    "outbound-interface": ["peth0"],
                    "type": "masquerade"
                }
            }
        }
    }
}

Last edited:
Soldato
I hadn't thought about it doing it that way but it makes sense. Occasionally my USG will show as disconnected in the controller even though it's routing traffic fine. It'll be showing the IP address of eth0 (192.168.3.2) as the IP address. At that point it needs a reboot to get it connected to the controller again.

With this method eth0 is left without an IP address so that problem shouldn't happen again. Let's see. I've changed the config file, provisioned the USG and everything seems to be working fine.

Associate
I've just ordered FTTP to our house. As I understand it they'll fit an ONT box and I connect a router to it, would Edgerouter ER8 suffice or do I need some form of modem/router between the ONT and the ER8?

Associate
The ER8 will work just fine. Just need to setup a PPPOE interface. I have my ER4 connected directly into the OpenReach ONT.

Thanks. Will order one now.

Where do you get that from?! :)

Stelly

Community fibre broadband scheme. Took two years and a lot of money but our current adsl is unstable sub 1meg and the fibre will be 330/50meg so it's worth it. :D

Last edited:
Associate
ER8 arrived today but I can't play with it until a UK to C5 plug comes tomorrow. Not stressed though, got a couple of weeks to fiddle with it before my internet goes live.

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials or user guides for the Ubiquiti's so I'm not bothering this thread constantly for the next few months?

Soldato
ER8 arrived today but I can't play with it until a UK to C5 plug comes tomorrow. Not stressed though, got a couple of weeks to fiddle with it before my internet goes live.

Can anyone recommend some good tutorials or user guides for the Ubiquiti's so I'm not bothering this thread constantly for the next few months?
You’ll easily find videos on YouTube for basic setup for ER Routers. It is very simple.

Why did you choose a ER-8 btw?

Last edited:
Associate
Real unusual one today, now getting a "Communication with controller is partially degraded" message showing on the controller for my USG & 24 Port PoE 250w, the switch is connected directly to the controller and USG.

An identical 24 Port PoE 250w is connected to the main switch and has no error. No idea why it's coming up with this, I've not made any changes to the setup prior to this, since I've tried restarting the devices and changing Ethernet cables, I'm running the beta firmware/controller (4.4.22.5086045 & 3.9.42.9152 respectively) and with controller software 5.9.4.0.

There is no loss of functionality across the network so I'm inclined to think it's beta firmware/software related. I'm not overly worried about it but wondered if anyone else has this random issue.

Associate

Thanks, found them and did the beginner setup, it's a nice interface.

You’ll easily find videos on YouTube for basic setup for ER Routers. It is very simple.

Why did you choose a ER-8 btw?

ONT to the ER-8 port eth0 in my office, a Sky router (running a wireless mesh via the mini boxes throughout the house) to eth1, eth2 will be for our holiday let (so I'll restrict it from the rest of the network), two NAS storage devices and my computer will fill eth3/4/5.

I had the router running yesterday, fans are noisy, might look at replacing them with quieter options if possible, I doubt our use will strain the router much.

[edit]After some googling I found this https://vimeo.com/165853397 and ordered the fans and noctua bits from OCUK.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, found them and did the beginner setup, it's a nice interface.

ONT to the ER-8 port eth0 in my office, a Sky router (running a wireless mesh via the mini boxes throughout the house) to eth1, eth2 will be for our holiday let (so I'll restrict it from the rest of the network), two NAS storage devices and my computer will fill eth3/4/5.

I had the router running yesterday, fans are noisy, might look at replacing them with quieter options if possible, I doubt our use will strain the router much.

[edit]After some googling I found this https://vimeo.com/165853397 and ordered the fans and noctua bits from OCUK.

You're not going to try and Bridge any of these ports are you?

Soldato
Just ordered:
AP Lite, USG and 8-60W switch
to replace a dire HH6.

Looking forward to setting it up and getting a bit of control back.
I understand that router VPN is possible just a little complicated? Any good guides out there?

Soldato
Assuming you're on VDSL, what modem are you going to use?
What are you hoping to achieve with the VPN? Incoming VPN clients to your home network? Site to site VPN?

HG612 3B
I have NordVPN so connecting to their servers. I saw a guide on the unfi forums that used a lot of file based commands, so I am guessing its something you cant just do via the GUI?

Soldato
Nope, you can't setup that VPN using the GUI.

The command line needs a serious overhaul, you have to mess about creating a file so that the additional config you want gets injected when the USG provisions. It's an awful way of doing it. Give me a proper CLI any day.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
HG612 3B
I have NordVPN so connecting to their servers. I saw a guide on the unfi forums that used a lot of file based commands, so I am guessing its something you cant just do via the GUI?

If you get this working let me know. I've tried several guides for NordVPN and with the help of fellow members above but I can't get it to connect! It'll be something I'm doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom