Nvidia 11 series announcement - Bad time to buy a gaming laptop?

Associate
With Nvidia announcing the new line up of GPU's on 20th August, is now a good time to be purchasing a gaming laptop?

1. Will the 11 series make it into laptop form any time soon?
2. Will the 11 series announcement knock down the price of 10 series laptops quickly?

Basically I can't decide whether to pull the trigger on a gaming laptop now, or wait until 20th August (assuming 10 series will drop immediately in price).

Soldato
I've got a GTX1070 gaming laptop and don't think it was a bad time, I mean it's a laptop, it's got a GTX1070 in it, the power is insane for a laptop, not to mention a 1080 in a laptop too, I doubt it'll know prices down too much.

Associate
It takes at least a year for new desktop GPU to land in laptops ,dont they?

Not anymore. Remember, nVidia scrapped the 'm' version of their desktop cards, so the gap between the desktop cards and laptop versions is much closer then before. Plus, gaming laptops are a huuuuge market now.

I think you should definitely wait, OP, and it is a bad time to jump on a gaming laptop right now. Wait a couple of weeks because for sure laptops will be released with the newest series.

Associate
Don't expect 20 series GPU's for laptops until at least Q1 19. Don't expect 20 series GPU's to be a marked improvement over the 10 series. Don't expect many games to feature ray tracing (or GPU's to be able to hold fps if they do).

I'd pass on Turing, and hope Volta brings about a decent bump in performance over Pascal.

Associate
Not sure how relavent these cards will be for laptops they use a lot more power than the 10 series and thus will create more heat. If they do stick them in laptops it will be some crippled power limited version...

Associate
Not sure how relavent these cards will be for laptops they use a lot more power than the 10 series and thus will create more heat. If they do stick them in laptops it will be some crippled power limited version...

Seems to be the general consensus on the web. I'm running a 1070 8750h 144hz and pumps out the frames just fine. Bf5 on auto (medium) churns out 90fps.

If I didn't have one already I'd wait till rtx mobile is released and pick up a 1070 for less when prices drop.

Permabanned
I felt black friday was the perfect time to buy a laptop, 1070 + 17.3" IPS 144Hz FHD G-SYNC, i7-8750H (6c12t) for under £1500. The next gen stuff is just going to cost more.

Back
Top Bottom