Nas home server for 4k streaming

Associate
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a nas for me, the plan is to stream my movie collection which contains 4k movies to my nvidia sheild using plex. Currently using my desktop pc, but I don't like to keep it powered on all the time. Really know very little about home servers , so would appreciate some kind advice. Have a maximum of £600 to spend. Need hard drives too.

Many thanks

Soldato
I’d probably go for something like an HP microserver, 3x 3TB (one as parity leaving you 6TB usable) and a copy of UnRaid. It’ll have an awful lot of flexibility and I love the Unraid eco system and use of docker. There’s a Plex docker for your needs and it can do a whole load more.

I don’t have personal experience but the Synology NAS appliances are also well regarded and I know can run Plex server.

Soldato
I’d probably go for something like an HP microserver, 3x 3TB (one as parity leaving you 6TB usable) and a copy of UnRaid. It’ll have an awful lot of flexibility and I love the Unraid eco system and use of docker. There’s a Plex docker for your needs and it can do a whole load more.

I don’t have personal experience but the Synology NAS appliances are also well regarded and I know can run Plex server.

This, this and this again!

I've had Synology NAS's in the past and the UI is great (it's what you are paying for after all!) but your are dependent upon them continuing to support Plex (they stopped on a great many models, mine included, so I can only imagine they will again!) - personally I went for a HP Microserver with unRaid - works superbly and gives you sooo many other options!

Associate
OP
Will have to do some more research , i take it I can just sling one hard drive in for now and not have it back up, until I can fill the other 3 bays and it will work as normal?? And what is the benefit of having HDMI? Can I connect it to my tv and play the files directly? Apologies if these are stupid questions , really have no clue, just want one place where I can store all my media instead of having external drives everywhere.

Many thanks guys

Soldato
Will have to do some more research , i take it I can just sling one hard drive in for now and not have it back up, until I can fill the other 3 bays and it will work as normal?? And what is the benefit of having HDMI? Can I connect it to my tv and play the files directly? Apologies if these are stupid questions , really have no clue, just want one place where I can store all my media instead of having external drives everywhere.

Many thanks guys

Kind of. All drives must be the same TB\Speed.
If like me you have raid 5, you will lose some storage space for backup.
And it takes no time to fill up a 4 bay.

Associate
OP
So in theory if I buy two 3tb drives, one drive would have my media on it and the other would have the same media (copies) in case of drive failure? Can you choose not have it backed up and use the full storage of both drives ?

Associate
OP
Think I might give up trying to find the right nas for me, don't know enough about them, so will just get me 2 4tb external drives and attached them to the sheild , will save me some money too

Soldato
Associate
Dell T20 is what I use (the Xeon one) with UnRAID installed. Should be easily in your budget, and transcodes / serves 4K no worry over the network using Plex. Mainly stream it through Amazon Fire TV 4K's.

Back
Top Bottom