BIR Curry Anyone?

Caporegime
You didn't say Bakarī though. So no it would be like saying Tourkay maybe. Lol

i spelt it the way it's pronounced. there is no correct way to spell punjabi in english. the punjabi alphabet has more letters than the english alphabet

"Modern Gurmukhī has thirty-eight consonants (akhar), 10 vowel symbols (lāga mātrā), two symbols for nasal sounds (pair bindi and ṭippī), and one symbol which duplicates the sound of any consonant (addak). In addition, four conjuncts are used: three subjoined forms of the consonants Rara, Haha and Vava, and one half-form of Yayya. Use of the conjunct forms of Vava and Yayya is increasingly scarce in modern contexts"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurmukhi_script

i take it you have seen aloo gobi on a menu before?

well the correct spelling according to wikipedia is

ਆਲੂ [ɑlu] potato

alu not aloo

however aloo is close to how it's pronounced.

Associate
i spelt it the way it's pronounced. there is no correct way to spell punjabi in english. the punjabi alphabet has more letters than the english alphabet

"Modern Gurmukhī has thirty-eight consonants (akhar), 10 vowel symbols (lāga mātrā), two symbols for nasal sounds (pair bindi and ṭippī), and one symbol which duplicates the sound of any consonant (addak). In addition, four conjuncts are used: three subjoined forms of the consonants Rara, Haha and Vava, and one half-form of Yayya. Use of the conjunct forms of Vava and Yayya is increasingly scarce in modern contexts"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurmukhi_script

i take it you have seen aloo gobi on a menu before?

well the correct spelling according to wikipedia is

ਆਲੂ [ɑlu] potato

alu not aloo

however aloo is close to how it's pronounced.
That spelling on Wikipedia is probably the phonetic alphabet, not the "correct" spelling (whatever "correct" means when transcoding from one alphabet to another).

I find it interesting you are referring only to Punjabi in a conversation about Indian words. Punjabi is only spoken by about 3% of Indians.

Caporegime
That spelling on Wikipedia is probably the phonetic alphabet, not the "correct" spelling (whatever "correct" means when transcoding from one alphabet to another).

I find it interesting you are referring only to Punjabi in a conversation about Indian words. Punjabi is only spoken by about 3% of Indians.

Because I speak Punjabi fluently. The type of cooking used in BIR restaurants is also Punjabi. Not Indian or south Indian.

Therefore Punjabi would be the correct language to use in this thread.

Associate
Because I speak Punjabi fluently. The type of cooking used in BIR restaurants is also Punjabi. Not Indian or south Indian.

Therefore Punjabi would be the correct language to use in this thread.
Congrats on being a Punjabi speaker. I was clearly referring to Indian people in general in my comment about what my in laws and other Indians are referring to when they say mutton.

Soldato
Onions were on sale in Aldi so i'm making a batch of base.

2KG Onions
6 tbsp Garlic/Ginger paste
1 inch ginger
2 chillies
1 sweet red pepper
Some cabbage
Some carrots
3 tbsp garam massala
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp ground corriander
2 tbsp ground fenugreek
About 500ml oil
500ml water
Tin of chopped tomatoes.

0qyuym1m.jpg

4MP4jLdm.jpg

I have the onions and pepper roasting in the oven at the minute and everything else in a dish simmering away.
Once the onions are done its all going in the dish and back in the oven for a couple of hours.
Im hoping all this roasting and charred onions will add that smokey taste that i find difficult to get when preparing the curries.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
a lot of indian food tastes better a day later well the curry anyway not naans, rice, pakora, etc. it's probably when it's re-heated you expose and blend a lot of the flavours that were locked away especially if you are using bulk made spices which are powdered.

Totally agree, fenugreek leaves are a classic example of this, they need time to brew almost in the sauce I have found to really release their flavour.

My Indian mother in law usually gets goat from the asian butcher next to Worldwide supermarket off curry mile. By the way, Indians use the word mutton for goat. That confused me initially. But if you ever see mutton in an Indian restaurant or recipe, it's very likely to be goat!

It's an interesting point that I wasn't aware of. I was aware that most restaurants will advertise a lamb curry that is actually mutton. Same animal, just older of course. As I have said before I don't have a problem with this as long as it is cooked properly.

Associate
OP
Onions were on sale in Aldi so i'm making a batch of base.

2KG Onions
6 tbsp Garlic/Ginger paste
1 inch ginger
2 chillies
1 sweet red pepper
Some cabbage
Some carrots
3 tbsp garam massala
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp ground corriander
2 tbsp ground fenugreek
About 500ml oil
500ml water
Tin of chopped tomatoes.

427a7YX2gQG6ZGbZ7xh1zaZ1v5Rj83jIvNI9opj_cGL9DoRu1-ADov_tdDIbONeUuJ6aP5AzpfyVnF6EykmfyK3PNOD6lz22MXKaDwyEWiA2ier8OWHXP5LJpgi54dBqt2xcBwtxS0gbBvji8oPoUX4Yb6n-XySmnXbaj4DI6yFPOSyJG3DIOQf9OJ8z_Wga7ArT_AtQBUpm1C5YWU_OmeGi7RxnDXFxycxGZuFRh7yAPfQ2I8OwsxJusemLl2sEuX5sA41hn-RQsEZr_ZTGz0KTdsDQ9RnbAcZ6cRvt01kjRZ9LhUqS9wuaOtWH57Eb9YddcTrsANiCrftA2j6Eucz-wIYpMZtFyOeRi7fuWEUUFGu4wso-atA7Ami_vWUtP-Jn5wGsHewKN49g39VBjccv-3d2Pj5-pzjKxmXUZ7rOmPf4fz3VVr4mFc4HDNG1X_jXfMyi9glvYUFTtRt1F7EjXSpzP7HBqU3vwgHokUAd1MC76gi1L46BRvIRESHd7gexK5PnSjJcYjtc4KmY4wWtI1VAflim79t7idLF55u1ysyBBLziya3M2MYhehIeGoYnZmNLJb8MK4oVaz0yg_s1sfn6DGoueiRz6dA=w700-h450-no

veihe3RzjeOp_eK9rTDNTsXg8SRDGn2uH1PxJ8c7rRghF6NBscCwHlfWEu0QgvQtCf-03_pEVzKqKXT0nqmUCrg4fA-FJRhOEKl8YU-qBWeH0VZFvgXpVlEJUeMwpNd2n0WojPXxf78yUSnH2zqflrR9ygHrfmqVCW6c1jEJ-IToeDzWBSBJPIcXI63YtYLbTlQcIVnt8jpXLcU0xK6KhqigWxSF9bkXLVGR8IL2S-Kk88xbctk7cVB6ZyCx_CFFW7bnHU13umMNmhpZvkqdLk4icasuK05wxtykAbxcQEYrHIttCtf1_LcpbqlENqi5G3SagArlsigiSAI6tQDyGwrOsv3hEs62PIwTYJOYLDX4dwrvS_SyMCg6O5sFLYShFJ9H71me-mc4AvPc3u9iwHj3VDnaRpLZZ4MOPICrAk1FT5xQW0uwaQ6g8YiRO7EDnWLJEgs0gDfUtBPzoI6JJXTfEHZcRdLFK1pYYbkkk3wFr6rvOgxv-F6bUB7UCME9GAhhI2BHo2SDtlaJx6J0SBdtslLKyFkTFmhocNfhKyDK22fBD2g4UxS7-CBsjWnsZd7RsfZ22uiVv_K_YNq-TK57IeOxJggsvukVZ1g=w700-h450-no

I have the onions and pepper roasting in the oven at the minute and everything else in a dish simmering away.
Once the onions are done its all going in the dish and back in the oven for a couple of hours.
Im hoping all this roasting and charred onions will add that smokey taste that i find difficult to get when preparing the curries.

I think this is a great idea, the smokey taste you describe is normally created by flaming the pan. Please let me know how this goes and I would consider trying it as well. Shame your pics don't work.

Soldato
Pictures should work now. Keep forgetting they don't work via google.
All done, made it slightly thicker than the last batch as well.

kmjdRFRm.jpg

zXDhk4qm.jpg

zcT3Rt9m.jpg

So that's enough for 6 more curries that feed around 4 people.

Associate
OP
Pictures should work now. Keep forgetting they don't work via google.
All done, made it slightly thicker than the last batch as well.

kmjdRFRm.jpg

zXDhk4qm.jpg

zcT3Rt9m.jpg

So that's enough for 6 more curries that feed around 4 people.

Yes it does look thick but you can always add a bit of water to final curry if need be.

Let me know how it goes!

Soldato
I do tend to boil the meat first in a stock then keep this handy to add in to the curry if needed.
I actually prefer my curries thick, plenty of meat and vegetables and less rice.

Associate
Anyone who got some ideas/suggestions for currys that I could make in the slow cooker? It would be my first attempts on making a real curry but I'm getting really interested in trying to learn to cook more variation of foods.

Soldato
Anyone who got some ideas/suggestions for currys that I could make in the slow cooker? It would be my first attempts on making a real curry but I'm getting really interested in trying to learn to cook more variation of foods.
Probably better on another thread. This one is specifically about trying to recreate takeaway curries.

But butter chicken is nice done in a slow cooker.

Soldato
So the wife has banned me from doing any more curries like this.
The reason, the amount of curry that spits and splashes all over the white counter top and has stained it.
It's always when im trying to reduce it down even the lowest setting causes it to spit everywhere.

Did another masala tonight but used prawns very tasty. That's the last of my original base, so next curries will be the concentrated roasted one.

Soldato
Made a lot of tweaks to the way I do mine now.
I do mine in a stainless roasting pan, initially on the hob then it goes into the oven without a lid. Every 20 minutes the top and sides that catch and caramelised get stirred back in.

Also add some sugar that I think is missing from a lot of the recipes this helps give that sweet taste.

Made an amazing Naga Jalfrezi last night, equal to or better than anything I've had fob a takeaway.

Pre cooked my chicken in a stock cube with a bay leaf, cumin seeds, corriander seeds, and cinnamon.
Used the remaining 200ml of stock strained and added to the curry.

Caporegime
So the wife has banned me from doing any more curries like this.
The reason, the amount of curry that spits and splashes all over the white counter top and has stained it.
It's always when im trying to reduce it down even the lowest setting causes it to spit everywhere.

Did another masala tonight but used prawns very tasty. That's the last of my original base, so next curries will be the concentrated roasted one.

get yourself a pressure king pro or an instant pot

easiest way to make a curry. what would take 2-3 hours now takes 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom