Power Tools & General Tools Recommendations & Advice

Associate
There was a conversation a few pages back. I've only bought the Erbauer ones and will never be buying them again. They're made of cheese.

Think Milwaukee are well regarded.

I've been using these dewalt bits to impact drive 100mm x 5mm screws fully through two pieces of treated 3" x 2". I don't think they're specifically designed for an impact driver?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-pz-screwdriver-bit-box-pz2-x-25mm-25-pack/3289r

I have broken maybe 3 or 4 but they last long enough for me not to mind.

I also got given one of these Milwaukee bits:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p90378

This also broke. It may have lasted slightly longer than a dewalt but I wouldn't say it lasted long enough to warrant the much more expensive price.

Soldato
@kinobestew123 I built my workshop last year and with 100mm by 5mm I found I needed a pilot hole to stand a chance of driving them that far even with good pressure on the back of the drill it would cam out, if it didn't shear the screw. Depending on how hard the wood is best practice would be two pilots a narrow one into the second piece and a wider one close to the screw size in the first piece so the head is doing most of the clamping in the first piece. I've also used silicone spray on the screws if they're not pre-waxed when gong through hardwood.

Associate
@kinobestew123 I built my workshop last year and with 100mm by 5mm I found I needed a pilot hole to stand a chance of driving them that far even with good pressure on the back of the drill it would cam out, if it didn't shear the screw. Depending on how hard the wood is best practice would be two pilots a narrow one into the second piece and a wider one close to the screw size in the first piece so the head is doing most of the clamping in the first piece. I've also used silicone spray on the screws if they're not pre-waxed when gong through hardwood.

That with just a drill or an impact driver?

I'd have thought an impact driver would make light work of 100x5mm screws.

I was using a brand new Milwaukee impact driver. The impact driver itself didn't seem to be having too much trouble getting them in. It would slow down towards the end but it would keep going whilst using the hammer action type thing that it does. I had a go with my dewalt drill but this didn't stand a chance.

I didn't shear any screws either. The weak link seemed to be the actual bits hence why I was breaking a few. Not sure if the hammer action wasn't helping their longivity.

Because I was only going through framing timber for behind cladding, I wasn't too bothered about just forcing them through. If I'd have struggled then pre-drilling would have been my plan B. I've heard vaseline can do the job for you too (;)). If i'd have been going through a harder piece of timber like hardwood, you're right though, I may have had more difficulty.

Associate
Well I went for the Dewalt managed to get the set for £233 using the current Ebay.com 15% off, also grabbed myself a Dewalt 355 Multi tool :cool:

£233 for the drill and impact driver is a stonking price, I paid £170 just for that drill and a 5ah battery, Toolstop are selling the impact driver with a 4ah battery for £146 :eek:

Soldato
How'd you find them? Reviews suggest the DeWalt bits are terrible :(

My Bosch PZ and PH bits are trashed after a lot of abuse taking out cammed, rusted, corroded and bent screws in my flat renovation. It's a not snapped or chipped but is chewed up now. In that respect you can say it did well. The slot snapped which I wasnt happy about considering how much the set cost.

I got a good deal on a set of Wera Impaktors on Amazon but have yet to try them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Help a DIY noob out here fellas, I’m after a drill for simple diy bits, internal walls are strawboard and externa/load bearing are brick. I need it for simple bits really, Curtain/blind rail hanging, little accessories the other half wants, a washing line outside, some hooks for artwork in my office and at some point I’ll build my own garden furniture.

But being a complete novice and only ever using other people’s I know next to nothing when it comes to buying. What’s the difference between an impact, drill driver and hammer? Which would I need? Budget of around £80ish cheaper the better as it will literally only be for a few occasionally diy bits. If you’d recommend some separate decent drill bits I will happily go that route too.

Also for strawboard I believe I would need to get the winged raw plugs if I’m correct but can’t for the like of me think what they are called anyone help out?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Help a DIY noob out here fellas, I’m after a drill for simple diy bits, internal walls are strawboard and externa/load bearing are brick. I need it for simple bits really, Curtain/blind rail hanging, little accessories the other half wants, a washing line outside, some hooks for artwork in my office and at some point I’ll build my own garden furniture.

But being a complete novice and only ever using other people’s I know next to nothing when it comes to buying. What’s the difference between an impact, drill driver and hammer? Which would I need? Budget of around £80ish cheaper the better as it will literally only be for a few occasionally diy bits. If you’d recommend some separate decent drill bits I will happily go that route too.

Also for strawboard I believe I would need to get the winged raw plugs if I’m correct but can’t for the like of me think what they are called anyone help out?

This just popped up on HotUKDeals https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dewalt-18v-combi-drill-at-bq-for-75-instore-3018171

Soldato
But being a complete novice and only ever using other people’s I know next to nothing when it comes to buying. What’s the difference between an impact, drill driver and hammer? Which would I need?

In simple terms, a drill driver (or combi drill as they're sometimes called) can drill holes and drive in screws so is the right choice if you only want to buy one tool. An impact driver isn't really suitable for drilling, just driving the large screws in heavy applications that a drill driver may not manage, so is often bought as an addition.

Hammer action is for drilling into hard masonry, bricks etc. As well as the drill bit spinning, it is "hammered" into the hole to speed up the process. A very handy feature on your drill if you'll be doing that kind of thing.

Caporegime
Soldato
I started a bit of a conversation on table saws a while back and remember @Mark A recommending the Dewalt 745.

I'm looking again now and have decided i can't quite justify spending that much at the moment so am looking for one of the cheaper options. The Titan one sounds decent but comes on legs. Ideally i'd like a table top on for ease of storage.

My questions then.

1 - Any recommendations (Around the £150 mark)
2 - For the ones with legs, do they fold down?
3 - Are used ones likely to be battered?

Presumably it'll be a 210mm one rather than 255mm at this price bracket

Main tasks will be fast ripping of lengths for width (i.e 44mm thickness down to 2x 20mm lengths). Hoping it'll also help work as a basic "thicknesser/planer" if i make multiple passes too for squaring up wood.

Back
Top Bottom