• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
Every time I desire a new platform (most days) I check pages like this and realise upgrading (for gaming) is pointless. The IPC improvement (last graph) is almost sad.
Yep it's definitely sad, apart from core count increase which doesn't even matter in most games since i7 with 8 threads is still enaugh, the IPC performance improvement is rather pathetic. [props for AMD for bringing Ryzen out at least. Wth was Intel doing for all those years?] At least graphics market is more exciting, if we don't count that 2 year brake :mad:.

Associate
Yep it's definitely sad, apart from core count increase which doesn't even matter in most games since i7 with 8 threads is still enaugh, the IPC performance improvement is rather pathetic. [props for AMD for bringing Ryzen out at least. Wth was Intel doing for all those years?] At least graphics market is more exciting, if we don't count that 2 year brake :mad:.

How long do you think this will be? If (when) i get a new card i'll be itching for a cpu upgrade from my 7700k

Soldato
A 2080 and a 2080 TI release at the same time?
I have to wonder if the rumor is true about the 8% performance increase.

It's clear these cards are designed for ray tracing. If that pans out to be true how much performance gap are we really getting out of a 1st gen RTX vs last gen GTX when it comes to none ray traced games?

Soldato
How long do you think this will be? If (when) i get a new card i'll be itching for a cpu upgrade from my 7700k

Th IPC race is over now. Intel will have a design somewhere around 2021 and I'm expecting they will have thrown the full might of the company behind it. Hopefully Intel have had a change of heart the desktop parts get a little love again. Until then it will be all about AMD.

Soldato

It's clear these cards are designed for ray tracing. If that pans out to be true how much performance gap are we really getting out of a 1st gen RTX vs last gen GTX when it comes to none ray traced games?

Wait a week and official reviews will answer that... until then anyone is just guessing. The ray tracing thing is mostly going to be a gimmick though... nothing is going to be to take advantage of that in the short term other than tech demos. No games yet. By the time such games are commonplace, next gen 7nm cards will be out there most likely!

Soldato

I reckon by the time that these are useful for ray tracing they will be outdated and slow. But we gotta start somewhere!

Associate
Just wait and see what happens with Intel at 10nm.

Th IPC race is over now. Intel will have a design somewhere around 2021 and I'm expecting they will have thrown the full might of the company behind it. Hopefully Intel have had a change of heart the desktop parts get a little love again. Until then it will be all about AMD.

Fair Enough, Thanks

Soldato

These cards will offer big jumps in performance. I'd imagine the 8% gains quotes come from an internal leak test.

Soldato
Bugger me... If all these leaks are true that are coming out today NV are going in for the kill against AMD. Benchmarks showing the 2060 going head to head against gtx 1080 and that is half the card the 2080ti is. TBH I am smelling fake on some of them.

I am wondering how many who bought that AMD '64 for £450 are considering distance selling regs? I imagine a lot of evga owners will be looking at their calenders for the 90 day countdown on the stepup program!

I have missed the launch period of a new card series. It's v interesting esp when one is in the market to buy a new card :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Bugger me... If all these leaks are true that are coming out today NV are going in for the kill against AMD. Benchmarks showing the 2060 going head to head against gtx 1080 and that is half the card the 2080ti is. TBH I am smelling fake on some of them.

I am wondering how many who bought that AMD '64 for £450 are considering distance selling regs? I imagine a lot of evga owners will be looking at their calenders for the 90 day countdown on the stepup program!

Nvidia need to cement themselves a spot in the graphics card market. I've been saying for awhile Nvidia will increasingly move into the higher end a focus less on the sub £200 market as AMD and Intel fight it out.

Back
Top Bottom