Greenlizard0 Weekend Football Thread ** spoilers ** [17th - 22nd August 2018]

Caporegime
I live in Brighton and their fans thought they had a great chance of winning before the game.

Of course they did, they must have been buoyed by being spanked by Watford and not even managing a shot on target. Let's face it yesterday was a freak result, let's not act like Brighton were favourites. The fact that you continue ignoring my points and trying to claim 6th is better than 2nd suggests you're just trolling really.

Associate
Of course they did, they must have been buoyed by being spanked by Watford and not even managing a shot on target. Let's face it yesterday was a freak result, let's not act like Brighton were favourites. The fact that you continue ignoring my points and trying to claim 6th is better than 2nd suggests you're just trolling really.

I guess the result in May was also a freak result then :D

i'm surprised that the 'big' clubs haven't yet realised that if you are not 100% then you can be beaten by anyone in the Premier League. Maybe they have but then certainly plenty of fans havent. I was at the game and at no time did I think United were getting back into it.

In regard to United specifically we did think we could get something from the game, United allow the opposition team time on the ball which gives us confidence to start to play football, we struggle a lot more against teams like City and Liverpool who are pressing for the ball at all times this causes our less technical players to panic and give the ball away in dangerous areas.

Caporegime
I guess the result in May was also a freak result then :D

i'm surprised that the 'big' clubs haven't yet realised that if you are not 100% then you can be beaten by anyone in the Premier League. Maybe they have but then certainly plenty of fans havent. I was at the game and at no time did I think United were getting back into it.

In regard to United specifically we did think we could get something from the game, United allow the opposition team time on the ball which gives us confidence to start to play football, we struggle a lot more against teams like City and Liverpool who are pressing for the ball at all times this causes our less technical players to panic and give the ball away in dangerous areas.

Weird that you weren't in here before kick off saying how confident you were then. Always amazing that these things are always saved until after the game isn't it? ;)

Also you had 33% of the possession, that's allowing you time on the ball?

Sui

Sui

Soldato

Nah, buoyed on by the result a few months ago and knowing the team is no better than it was back then.

Just because Brighton are recently promoted, doesn't mean you should take them lightly. Their defensive pairing is great, and have some brilliant creative players going forward, I can't see them going down this season.

I know you support United, but you are allowed to admit they are in dire straits at the moment and something needs to change, soon.

Soldato
Utd's attitude yesterday didn't help, but it was always going to be a difficult match with two central midfielders new to the EPL in a tight stadium vs a team who basically hasn't changed that much

I still believe in Fred and Periera but we needed Hererra or Matic yesterday and one of the other two and I think the result would have at least been a draw (young and mata were non existant on the right, even Darmian would have been better than young yesterday).

This is why just youth / buying young players will never work, because in the centre -half and at least one CM position experience counts a great deal. Martial did one really decent run (in about the 10th minute) and then disappeared virtually until he was subbed.

Pogba was a little unlucky not to score with his long range (outside the box) shot in the 2nd half but the way the game was going it was just one of those days (like De Gea not quite saving the pen)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Part of the problem Frank is that we are so clueless in our team movement that players like Martial are just left on the wing and have 0 idea what to do. He gets the ball on the half way line and there is nothing in the way of support. Young players need to be put into a system that allows them to flourish and one that they know where their place is. I would put a lot of money on Martial tearing up the league if you put him in the City team. Good players around him in a team that has a strong identity and every man knows his job and what he should be doing in attack and defence.

Look at Liverpool. They have some great flair players but quite a few work horses that are nothing special and yet in that team they punch above their weight and contribute to the flair players attacking play. If you have a team like RM who have almost all played together for years and already have a strong identity you can do what Mourinho has done and ignore the team tactics beyond adapting to your opposition. United aren't in that position. We have been completely devoid of a proper footballing identity since Fergie left and appointing a manager completely incapable or unwilling to work on that area of our game was a massive mistake.

I would love to know how many times last years top 6 were genuinely outplayed by their opposition when they lost. When I see Tottenham lose its usually because their finishing was poor or the other team did a smash and grab and nicked a goal and held on for the win. So many times when United lose the opposition has simply outplayed us, outworked us and outclassed us in almost every area. We have won a lot of games over the past 5 years where we only won because of DDG or because the lesser teams often have rubbish strikers. We took our 2 chances and they missed their 5.

Basically we are a mess of a team with our current manager and in all honesty the fact that we have spent nearly £500m since Fergie left has only papered over the fundamental issues present at the club at the moment. I can't think of any aspect of the running of the club that has been good apart from the sponsorship side.

Associate
Weird that you weren't in here before kick off saying how confident you were then. Always amazing that these things are always saved until after the game isn't it? ;)

Also you had 33% of the possession, that's allowing you time on the ball?

Well I can only post 30 times a year so need to use them wisely :D so enjoying a pre footy pint before the game took precedence. I know what the stats say but time on the ball is a bit different to possession. I was just trying to get across that for Brighton specifically we struggle against the teams that have a very high press and quick football. United at the present time appear to be slow and deliberate and stand off for large periods which we deal with better.

Anyway I will state here an now I am not overly confident with our trip to Anfield next weekend although Dunk may be injured so might not be able to add to his three own goals in the KOP end! :D:D

Man of Honour
With Keita, at times I swear there are two of him on the pitch, just seems to be everywhere, would love to see one of those heatmaps of his match

Back
Top Bottom