Rugby union?

Soldato
I see a thread for league, but none for union? Have I missed one, or it's just not that popular here?

Wasps supporter here (picked a team 6 years ago, after getting into club rugby from the international game, wasn't in the UK, and no local team where I was born). Any other union eggchaser supporters/players?

Hoping to join the local club now I'm back in the UK, or if I find my body won't take it, at least get my boy playing!

Associate
I do try to play with one of the clubs in the area but due to work (NHS) it makes it difficult to get much trainings or games. I do try to follow Saracens as much as I can and tend to go to a couple of matches a season and to the final at Twickenham no matter who plays.

Associate
The only reason I support Sarries is because when I moved here I knew nothing more than the All Blacks. And my local club here in Essex had a partnership with Saracens at that time, so I thought I make it easy for myself and support them :D

Man of Honour
Saints supporter here local team when I was growing up. Played when I was younger and would love to get back into it now but my shoulders couldn't handle it anymore.

Soldato
OP
You could try touch tom e? I'm considering it, if the full thing turns out to be a step too far.

Nev, just as good a reason as me supporting Wasps, I was trying to find a club with some fun young English talent, and decent style of play. They were 11th the season before I started supprting!

Internationals are fun, but I'm excited for the premiership to start up again, the extended nature makes it very interesting for me.

Soldato
Harlequins supporter here, season ticket holder until I emigrated.

Thankfully I get most Premiership, Pro 14, European and Six nations rugby on the sport package here for peanuts :)

Will be an interested season for quins. We've got a very good squad of players but there's been a lot of 'mates' in the back room for far too long. Hopefully Paul Gustard coming in is going to get us back into playoff contention and get rid of some of the dead wood.

Soldato
OP
A lot of those mates in the back room have already been moved on. I wonder if Gustard is going to make a good head coach or not. Would imagine it'll take a while to fix whatever was wrong last season anyway.

Associate
tom, touch rugby is quite good if you want to take it up again but the body won't cope with the physicality. Plenty of our former first teamers in my club are still played touch after quit playing the regular union game.

Unseul, I knew absolutely nothing about rugby except All Blacks, Jonah Lomu and that you had to throw the ball backwards before I moved to UK. Getting much more into rugby than football nowadays as I prefer the attitudes within rugby more.

mid_gen, how is the rugby scene in Germany? I'm looking into Germany as one of the options for a future move depending on how Brexit goes and would like to keep in touch with the game if/when moving.

Soldato
OP
I was never really one for watching football, and with age (and grumpiness) I've become even less tolerant of it, it just rarely excites me. During rugby there's so much going on that it's impossible to track it all. Even when there's a bit of kick tennis going on you can see which of the forwards really need a breather etc.

I've not lived in Germany, but I believe there's an increasing presence there (they just recently lost to Samoa in a RWC knockout game). However their friendly million/billionaire, has just pulled out in a big way I think? Which may knock it on the head a bit.

Soldato
tom, touch rugby is quite good if you want to take it up again but the body won't cope with the physicality. Plenty of our former first teamers in my club are still played touch after quit playing the regular union game.

Unseul, I knew absolutely nothing about rugby except All Blacks, Jonah Lomu and that you had to throw the ball backwards before I moved to UK. Getting much more into rugby than football nowadays as I prefer the attitudes within rugby more.

mid_gen, how is the rugby scene in Germany? I'm looking into Germany as one of the options for a future move depending on how Brexit goes and would like to keep in touch with the game if/when moving.

There's a rugby scene here, there's a local team in most towns, and the national team is improving. Think the sevens squad is having a fair bit of investment.

I did go along to pre-season with my local side a few year's back but they were doing some daft 100% contact drills and I got one of my ribs snapped clean in half which led me to pack in my playing career! Got into climbing instead which keeps me in shape without getting smashed up :)

There's a really good online sports service called DAZN that carries most European and international rugby, including the six nations, premiership, pro 14, European Champions and Challenge Cup so it's pretty easy to keep up with the games. The aviva premiership rugby TV website shows all the AP games in full the day after as well.

Associate
There's a rugby scene here, there's a local team in most towns, and the national team is improving. Think the sevens squad is having a fair bit of investment.

I did go along to pre-season with my local side a few year's back but they were doing some daft 100% contact drills and I got one of my ribs snapped clean in half which led me to pack in my playing career! Got into climbing instead which keeps me in shape without getting smashed up :)

There's a really good online sports service called DAZN that carries most European and international rugby, including the six nations, premiership, pro 14, European Champions and Challenge Cup so it's pretty easy to keep up with the games. The aviva premiership rugby TV website shows all the AP games in full the day after as well.

That rib sounds pretty damn painful. I went to Bremen a few years ago, really liked that city and found out they got 2 rugby teams. I also liked Hamburg quite a bit when I was there in August for Wacken Open Air. Problem I have though is that I'm pretty unqualified for a lot of work as I work as a HCA in NHS but I'm looking into doing some computer training on the side.

Soldato
OP
DAZN sounds a bit like rugbypass? Only for germany? Do you know if it's region locked? Do they keep games available online for later viewing? And do they have the non-broadcasted premiership games like rugbypass does?

Soldato
OP
So Wasps lose Gopperth for 6-9 months, which is a bit of a pain! Cooper-Woolley out for upto 2 months too, which is bad news, but does give Will Stuart a chance to step up.

On a personal note, bought a gum shield and boots yesterday!

Soldato
DAZN sounds a bit like rugbypass? Only for germany? Do you know if it's region locked? Do they keep games available online for later viewing? And do they have the non-broadcasted premiership games like rugbypass does?

Well, DAZN is a general sports service, just Germany and Austria and a few places I think at the moment, although unfortunately I can't see Sky letting them get a foot in the door in the UK. Yes you can watch the games back later as well.

It also has Premiership football, La Liga, Bundesliga highlights, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, tennis, boxing, mma, amongst other things.

Soldato
OP
Well, DAZN is a general sports service, just Germany and Austria and a few places I think at the moment, although unfortunately I can't see Sky letting them get a foot in the door in the UK. Yes you can watch the games back later as well.

It also has Premiership football, La Liga, Bundesliga highlights, NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB, tennis, boxing, mma, amongst other things.

Do you know how strict they are on VPNs? I know Rugbypass just needs a VPN to start a stream, but it can then be disabled. I'm only really interested in the rugby, but rugbypass has got rather expensive recently.

Back
Top Bottom