• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£1050+ now for GTX2080ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
No hence why I asked :rolleyes:

Still accounts for some of the price difference, then take into account import and customs fees etc.
If you buy a 2080ti in alaska or any other state with zero sales tax (oregon) etc. $999. We are being raped here. Same every gen though.

Honestly these prices are stupid. And it's not that "I can't afford it" I could. But not paying that much. It just encourages nvidia that these prices are fine. Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy at these prices.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
The issue here is really simple:
- development cycles take years, meaning that for the 2*** series cards, that it probably started 3-4 years ago. At that point, they'll have had all sorts of forecasts, including sales, pricing, competition etc
- Nvidia have suddenly found themselves with NO competition able to deliver similar capabilities. The implications being that 1080 capability cards can be priced against the AMD competition, and everything faster than that can have whatever dreamed up price Nvidia think the market will stand
- SOMEONE (early adopters) will happily cough up, that's just the way that things work
- Pointless talking about the "cost to make". After all, they're made of plastic and sand. The cost of the materials making a card is probably pence. Everything else is the cost to develop and build the manufacturing capability

The only solution that we have consumers have are:
- Wait until genuine competition from AMD arrives (likely to be some time)
- Hope that that the manufacturing plant(s) being run by Nvidia are churning out so many that they end up with a "glut" in their supply chain of unsold units, so end up dropping the price

In the meantime, how about keeping down the insults guys. It's demeaning and frankly unnecessary.

Associate
Ive been really tempted to order the 2080.... at the same time ive also been tempted with the 1080ti...

i game at 4k with a 980ti and it handles some things ok but its starting to struggle with newer stuff

Soldato
Also with no competition from AMD so that equals very few people are buying AMD GPU's these days

So NVidia are most likely selling at high on demand prices as they can't make enough GPU's for everyone

Caporegime
The issue here is really simple:
- development cycles take years, meaning that for the 2*** series cards, that it probably started 3-4 years ago. At that point, they'll have had all sorts of forecasts, including sales, pricing, competition etc
- Nvidia have suddenly found themselves with NO competition able to deliver similar capabilities. The implications being that 1080 capability cards can be priced against the AMD competition, and everything faster than that can have whatever dreamed up price Nvidia think the market will stand
- SOMEONE (early adopters) will happily cough up, that's just the way that things work
- Pointless talking about the "cost to make". After all, they're made of plastic and sand. The cost of the materials making a card is probably pence. Everything else is the cost to develop and build the manufacturing capability

The only solution that we have consumers have are:
- Wait until genuine competition from AMD arrives (likely to be some time)
- Hope that that the manufacturing plant(s) being run by Nvidia are churning out so many that they end up with a "glut" in their supply chain of unsold units, so end up dropping the price

In the meantime, how about keeping down the insults guys. It's demeaning and frankly unnecessary.

I get the feeling the bolded is never going to happen again, at least not at the top end, historically AMD have never been able to sell enough cards even when competitive, i think AMD are sick of trying and losing money anyway.

We will not see AMD competing at the ##80 / ##80TI level ever again unfortunately, they do make money in the mid range, currently RX 580 level, but that's it.

People only want AMD to compete so they can buy cheaper nVidia and that can no longer be sustained.

Associate
If you buy a 2080ti in alaska or any other state with zero sales tax (oregon) etc. $999. We are being raped here. Same every gen though.

Honestly these prices are stupid. And it's not that "I can't afford it" I could. But not paying that much. It just encourages nvidia that these prices are fine. Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy at these prices.
I agree regarding prices, was just trying to understand the price difference between here and the US for example.

Soldato
1300 quid for a mid range 2080. Trust me the "real" 2080ti will be coming later.

What is the world coming to.

£1,269 now. Peak Nvidia. The CEO's black leather jackets will never be as shiny as in 2018, I am calling it now. I won't touch one until I can get a custom one for £800 or less and its gonna have to drill my 1080ti at VR.

Associate
Like many have said, the pricing is absolutely disgusting, Nvidia has no competition and no matter what the price is, there are always people who will buy it. It's just such a shame Nvidia are driving people to give up PC gaming and turn to consoles.

For a top end Asus 2080Ti (£1500), in theory you could actually buy a decent complete system for this.

Soldato
Why do people have to turn away from PC gaming just because this card is expensive, buy a 1080Ti, it'll play everything for years to come and second hand they are £400+, people make it sound like the 2080ti is going to be the one and only card, pathetic.
People get so upset when they can't afford new and shiny, there's plenty other options.

Caporegime
Why do people have to turn away from PC gaming just because this card is expensive, buy a 1080Ti, it'll play everything for years to come and second hand they are £400+, people make it sound like the 2080ti is going to be the one and only card, pathetic.
People get so upset when they can't afford new and shiny, there's plenty other options.
Spot on. There are alternatives that allow us to play and have just as much fun for far less money. Silly statements IMO.

Associate

It's probably not as many as it seems. When Nvidia do something people feel the need to pour out their angst at it and generally it's the same people repeating the same things in all the threads, more than once, so it feels like more. If you look at the speculation thread last night there were half a dozen or so people just repeating the same thing over and over about the price and lube jokes. I guess they wanted their opinion on every page.

Caporegime
1070 / 1080 are still very good cards... actually the RX 580 is a very capable 1080P card and a steal at £225.

Absolutely no excuse to go full peasant, an RX 580 is better than any Console, the GTX 1070 is a great 1440P card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom