• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

£1050+ now for GTX2080ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Spot on. There are alternatives that allow us to play and have just as much fun for far less money. Silly statements IMO.

Quite.
No one is forced or obliged to buy a new card, and it's not that the current 10* series cards have suddenly stopped working.
If you're happy, stay as it, problem solved.

If you have the spondoolies, well there's now a new outlet for you. You get's what you pays for.

Caporegime
It would require a monumental shift in spending habits before things ever get better, it's not just this sector where people don't even think about upgrading year in year out, there's literally zero thought process behind it for some people. I've seen people spending 2 digit percentages of their yearly net earnings on one component lmao.

The whole thing about you don't need this TI so stop complaining is nonsense as well, as prices have shot up across the whole range, it affects everyone as even second hand prices are going to be much higher for those who enjoyed waiting a while and buying used.

Soldato
It's probably not as many as it seems. When Nvidia do something people feel the need to pour out their angst at it and generally it's the same people repeating the same things in all the threads, more than once, so it feels like more. If you look at the speculation thread last night there were half a dozen or so people just repeating the same thing over and over about the price and lube jokes. I guess they wanted their opinion on every page.

Absolutely their so busy running round every 2080 thread repeating themselves. Must be tiring.

The 980ti still holds it own up to 1440p as well.

Associate
It would require a monumental shift in spending habits before things ever get better, it's not just this sector where people don't even think about upgrading year in year out, there's literally zero thought process behind it for some people. I've seen people spending 2 digit percentages of their yearly net earnings on one component lmao.

The whole thing about you don't need this TI so stop complaining is nonsense as well, as prices have shot up across the whole range, it affects everyone as even second hand prices are going to be much higher for those who enjoyed waiting a while and buying used.

We have a PC here that happily plays everything at 1080p using a 1060. For 1440p you'd only need to increase your budget a bit and we have played at 1440p on this card as well fine. You don't need to break the bank to stay in PC gaming.

I understand down the line it could change if we go on like this, but when someone repeatedly posts the same point about the cost of the cards in the same thread over a short period of time, there is more going on there than just concern about PC gaming.

Soldato
Funny how these new cards have instantly made 2 year old cards selling at very nearly rrp seem a bargain.

I bought a msi armour 1070 on launch for 380ish,now people 2 years later think it a bargain.....it not.

Nvidia are way smarter than their consumers it seems.

that and it clears back log ! for once nvidia listed to AIB - they also make resllers sign up to stock tracking so they can monitor levels . could be a reason why 2080ti was launched, chip production of 1080ti stopped in Feb or January in lines with GDDR5X (another reason why 1080gtx 11gbps had short life) and still couldn't shift them, mining decline didn't help .

RTX 2070 is the key for dropping last gen cards and the 2nd hand market

Caporegime
they will need to be smart so will the shops because anything 1070/1080 gtx will play anything maxxed for next two years at 1080/1440.

mining is dead. so they gunna be dropping some prices on these cards mighty quick.also there is loads of 10 series cards about also . they priced them like when minining was strongest.cause they knew people would pay that much cause they did.now minings dead. so just sit and wait watch the prices come down to where they should be. which is the replacement prices for 1080/1080ti real prices. of 500/700.

ludarcris pricing.with no real reason to own unless you at 4k.you need the games and there is no games that demand the price for the cards.

Soldato
Nvidia are way smarter than their customers it seems.
In fairness that's like saying the drug dealer is smarter than the junkie.... No wait that actually works /facepalm.

Okay it's like saying the slave owner with the gun is smarter than the slave, he isn't he just has a gun. Nvidia know that if their customers have no alternative they will pay what they ask.

Soldato
When you compare the die size of a GTX 1080ti to the RTX 2080ti the price is pretty close.

GTX 1080ti $699 (release day) 471 mm die = $1.4862 per mm of die.
RTX 2080ti $999 (release day) 754 mm die = $1.3249 per mm of die.

So using OCUK cheapest cards today
GTX 1080ti £669.95 471 mm die = £1.42 per mm of die.
RTX 2080ti £1049.99 754 mm die = £1.39 per mm of die.

So a bit cheaper? :D

Just a shame a lot of that extra silicon is used on ray tracing that won't be used most of the time. :/

Associate
I like what Nvidia has done with ray tracing, and was ready to order one or even possibly two new cards. Holly crap though that price made me think once, then twice, then decided....nope.

Soldato
1300 quid for a mid range 2080. Trust me the "real" 2080ti will be coming later.

What is the world coming to.

The 2080Ti is the real 2080Ti. It has a massive die size, much bigger than the 1080Ti and, according to a teardown, supposed to be the GT102 chip.

It's definitely not a mid range chip.

Soldato
It's massive because of the new tensacores (for ray slideshowing). How big is the CUDA part?

The 1080 Ti used the GP102 chip.

The 2080Ti uses the GT102 chip.

The 102 is for their high end parts. The 104 is used for their mid range parts.

The 2080 uses the GT104.

So the 2080Ti is the real 2080Ti and not a mid range card as you are trying to suggest.

Soldato
I just looked back at when I bought my 980Ti in June 2015, I thought £500 was a lot 3 years ago and 10XX pricing was expensive. 2080Ti is just pure greed.

AMD really need to sort themselves out. I bet Intel will be doubling down their efforts to bring something to market having seen these prices.

I've not played many games since I got a switch so I can be fairly certain that no upgrade is on the horizon for me....

Associate
If the performance in the other thread for RT turns out to be true and consistent (30-60fps with RT enabled @ 1080p), then I'm not yet willing to pay such a high premium. I'm more interested in the AI improvements mentioned, and they'll have to do something pretty amazing with that to get me to fork out such a large sum of money. I mean I want to be able to talk to every NPC in-game and have them all pass the Turing test, and to fight as well as a skilled human opponent...

Meanwhile, for the price of upgrading my 1080ti to a 2080ti, I can upgrade my CPU, RAM, and Mobo and still have change left over.

Caporegime
789.99, seemed a fairly obvious mistake but it was worth a punt
The sad thing is that £789.99 was a mistake as in it was way to low to be realistic- such a shame as ~£790 for one component of a system that for many is primarily used for playing games is an absolute joke.

Unfortunately ludicrous prices are becoming the norm, to the point where we now look at £790 for a card and collectively go “wow! That’s amazingly cheap! - well worth a punt”

I have a group of PC gaming friends, all affluent to a degree, not one (bar me! :o) has upgraded from their 780 / 980 Series cards, all now have consoles and won’t be going back.

RIP PC gaming for the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom