• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

But Jensen, how fast is it ?

Associate
OP
2080TI should be in the ball park of 150% 1080 performance assuming both are overclocked, that's a pretty sizable jump and as you say there isnt really another option right now.

Associate
OP
No.

Please don't post unsubstantiated and unrealistic claims. Stick to Reddit for that.

If you read the post at the start of the thread you'll find that it's not entirely unsubstantiated . Speculation yes to be sure, but not without some consideration.

Associate
OP
I will change my signature to say :
JediFragger "What Are you ?"
ToOo: "An idiot sandwich"

If the top RTX2080TI GPU score on the OCUK forum in time spy is anything less than 150% of the best 1080 by the end of October (i.e 12828 GPU at least)

Soldato
2080TI should be in the ball park of 150% 1080 performance assuming both are overclocked

Oh dear. Surely if that was the case then benchmarks and graphs would be plastered all over the event?

"NEW RAYTRACING SYSTEMS AND OVER DOUBLE THE PERFORMANCE OF OUR PREVIOUS GENERATION!!"

But no. Nothing. That doesn't strike you as odd? I'll be surprised if we get a 15% bump.

Associate
I'm brand agnostic and currently have a 1080ti (£650 GB Aorus). Previous to that I had a 980ti (£550 EVGA AIO). Prior to that a 7970.

I really hope nvidia fall flat on their face this time. Twice the price? I was ready to pre-order yesterday, already had my 1080ti listing drafted on ebay etc. Screw that.

It's not the affordability. It's the blatant price gouging that is offensive to me as a consumer. It's their right of course to charge whatever they like. Similarly it's my right to walk away in disgust.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Intel business practices either despite owning their CPUs. But they can't enter this market soon enough in my opinion.

Associate
I'm brand agnostic and currently have a 1080ti (£650 GB Aorus). Previous to that I had a 980ti (£550 EVGA AIO). Prior to that a 7970.

I really hope nvidia fall flat on their face this time. Twice the price? I was ready to pre-order yesterday, already had my 1080ti listing drafted on ebay etc. Screw that.

It's not the affordability. It's the blatant price gouging that is offensive to me as a consumer. It's their right of course to charge whatever they like. Similarly it's my right to walk away in disgust.

I'm not a particularly big fan of Intel business practices either despite owning their CPUs. But they can't enter this market soon enough in my opinion.

I agree entirely on the intel part. I did pre-order the 2080, but the more I think about it the more I am getting stressed out and ready to cancel. I am struggling hard to see where my money is going towards aside from ray tracing. Where is the performance increase? In terms of ray tracing some stuff looked better with it off!

Associate
OP
Oh dear. Surely if that was the case then benchmarks and graphs would be plastered all over the event?

"NEW RAYTRACING SYSTEMS AND OVER DOUBLE THE PERFORMANCE OF OUR PREVIOUS GENERATION!!"

But no. Nothing. That doesn't strike you as odd? I'll be surprised if we get a 15% bump.

Sorry but you seem to be arguing and agreeing with me at the same time...

I'm talking 2080ti to 1080. Not 1080ti. If the 2080ti is 150% of 1080 then I worked it out as around 112% of 1080ti or another way of saying that is 12% faster than the 1080ti.

Soldato
Sorry but you seem to be arguing and agreeing with me at the same time...

I'm talking 2080ti to 1080. Not 1080ti. If the 2080ti is 150% of 1080 then I worked it out as around 112% of 1080ti or another way of saying that is 12% faster than the 1080ti.

I misread how you were doing your percentages, so yes we are on the same page. I do find it suspicious that Nvidia focussed purely on the RTX side of things without saying how much of an improvement the whole thing is over the 10 series.

Associate
OP
Very much suspicious. There's plausible room for 2080ti to be a decent overclocker, it's a big chip with lots of cuda cores and gobs of memory bandwidth. But I just can't see how 2080 is going to be anything but a dog. So many fewer cuda cores than 1080ti means it will need to hit insane clock speed just to match it unless they've made massive improvement to the architecture, and since they're already telling us it's an evolution on Volta I'd bet it's really just Maxwell rev 4.

Man of Honour
I wonder how much heat the Ray Tracing part of the silicon generates?

Could this be the reason for the change to a dual cooler?

Will the extra heat throttle the 20XX cards when compared to Pascal or Volta?

Associate
Is there any possibility that we just simply aren't seeing something crucial to the potential performance outcome? As I am in a bit of disbelief if the 1080ti is to outperform the 2080..

Associate
OP
Could be some architecture improvements or there might be a way to use those tensor cores for regular raster graphics in the new driver. But failing that the only answer i see is clock speed and the published base and boost clocks would seem to discount any massive gains on that side.

Back
Top Bottom