Poll: Belgian Grand Prix 2018, Spa - Race 13/21

Rate the 2018 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
fUQKg8z.png

Spa-Francorchamps

Belgium's Spa-Francorchamps circuit is among the most historic on the Formula One calendar, having hosted a (non-championship) Grand Prix as long ago as 1924, and remains one of the most popular venues with drivers and fans alike.

Run on narrow public roads, the original Spa layout was an amazing 14.9 kilometres long and notoriously dangerous. The lap distance was reduced slightly over the years, with some corners eased, but when the 'old' circuit staged its final Grand Prix in 1970 it still measured just over 14 kilometres and remained staggeringly quick - Chris Amon set that year's fastest lap at an average speed of just under 245 km/h.

Spa did not return to the calendar until 1983 and then in drastically revised form, with lap distance cut to just under seven kilometres. Somehow, though, the circuit's magic was retained. Around two thirds of the lap used the original layout and the legendary Eau Rouge corner remained intact. Only the new Bus Stop chicane on the run down to La Source drew criticism.

More than twenty years on Spa remains the longest circuit on the calendar. Its mix of long straights and challenging fast corners, coupled with its picturesque setting, means that most drivers still rank it among their favourite tracks.

The weather is still notoriously changeable (it can often be simultaneously raining on one part of the track and dry on another) and Eau Rouge, with its high speed and sudden elevation change, maintains its reputation as one of Formula One racing's most technically demanding corners.

Such is the challenge of Spa that only the truly great drivers can really claim to have mastered it. In fact just six men have won the race more than twice - Juan Manuel Fangio (three times), Damon Hill (three times), Kimi Raikkonen (four times), Jim Clark (four times), Ayrton Senna (five times) and Michael Schumacher (six times).

TV Times

Sky:

K2O2kcE.png

C4:

a8qAp02.png

Track Diagram & Information

Uy4JGlQ.png

Weather Forecast

sdlYTSY.png

2017 Onboard Lap

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/3/2017_Belgium_pole_lap.html

2017 Race Edit

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/8/Director's_Cut__Belgium_2017.html

Belgium Preview Quotes

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...iew-quotes--the-teams-and-drivers-on-spa.html

WDC Standings

CDGuWga.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

zaGXXBY.png

Practice 1

zZ9WGX0.png

Practice 2

ZxCGgLG.png

Practice 3

rfV7gau.png

Qualifying

TX85SJk.png

Race

0k3XXTx.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Cheers Shimmy. Bit of rain to test those rusty post-holiday reactions too. I think this should be quite close. The Ferrari with it's additional power versus Lewis in the wet. But as we saw in Germany, the wet can make a fool of anyone.

Associate
Mrs has surprised me today and got tickets for this. Going to be viewing it from Pouhon corner.

First time I've been to Spa to watch F1 and the first F1 race I've been to since 2001 British GP.. and rain too, yes!

Soldato
We are at the ring today then later to the camp site :) well recommended to come to spa you sadly don’t see a great deal as they only do 43 laps don’t do a victory lap either

Soldato
Difficult to see a winner other than Hamilton with that weather. Fingers crossed that it isn't just rain, but rain, sun, rain, sun repeatedly so that we get chaos.
Not so sure, Seb will be cautious after Germany but the Ferrari power and the drivability of that car will make it tough to beat.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I watched the “2018 season so far” video posted by the official F1 channel on YouTube, last night.

Almost forgot how close this season has been and how Merc have been on the back foot. Can’t wait for this race.

Still chuckled at Vettel bashing the steering wheel in Germany though :D

Associate
yh but Austria was such a great race and that was dry as a bone

But your comparing apples with pears. Compare Spa dry to Spa Wet.

I want it to be wet and see Seb redeem himself as he has been poor compared to Kimi in the wet in the last two GPs.

Caporegime
I watched the “2018 season so far” video posted by the official F1 channel on YouTube, last night.

Almost forgot how close this season has been and how Merc have been on the back foot. Can’t wait for this race.

Still chuckled at Vettel bashing the steering wheel in Germany though :D

I felt sorry for him, but also laughed a bit too!
It's like when you have a slide on ice. You can see it coming, but nothing you can do.

Soldato
Also heading down for this weekend; we're leaving Friday morning and should arrive in time for FP2. We're gonna explore the track over Friday and Saturday and then land on Friday; I've suggested we take a good luck at Pouhon during quali to see the downforce at play and then possibly Kemmel straight/near Les Combes for race day

Just checked weather; looking like potential for rain friday and saturday, but dry sunday :( I'm praying for rain!

Back
Top Bottom