• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU temps during game play?

Associate
OK...as an older geezer completely new to gaming I need a little advice regarding CPU temps.

Story so far, I've got to be worlds most ambivalent person, I was going to go for a Ryzen 2400 G set up originally to just to get me into entry level gaming to give it a try but then I decided I might go down something like a Ryzen 1600/2600 + 1050 Ti route, still wasn't sure about that but just for fun, before I relegated the current mobo. cpu etc into a backup computer for general chores, today I decided to fit a GTX 1060 3gb to this old board and I'm quite amazed at how well it's performing given that the Phenom 11 x 4 955 BE chip is relatively ancient. It's still set at it's original stock 3.2Ghz clock so it could even be improved with overclocking.

Obviously the CPU and GPU will bottleneck on demanding games but I've just tried it on two or three shoot 'em ups which I downloaded to try out and it's surprised me. Such as this Fortnite thing really flows and none of the online multi-player games so far shows any stuttering or the likes, in fact one that had the fps showing was a constant 60fps so I was quite happy with what I've seen so far though I may not be if I try out a very demanding game but I'm pleased I didn't go for the 2400 G as I think I might have been very quickly disappointed as from what I've seen on Youtube, my Phenom + the GTX 1060 performs far better.
I can still go for a decent CPU and mobo at any time but this will get me started and the GPU is not a bad entry level card.
My old HP VGA monitor runs very well with an adaptor for the GPU output but it's limited to 1680 x 900 or something like that so I will need a new monitor eventually but that can wait for now.

Now to the question: I know that Phenoms are hot running and I've been monitoring both the CPU and GPU temps and the GPU is running at a steady 35 deg C with a fan speed of 55%.
The CPU has registered up to 66 deg C during busy game play with a download running in the background though it's around 52 deg C on average play...
Are these temps too high or OK for that processor? It idles at about 32-33 deg C or slightly higher depending upon room temp which is usually about 23-24 deg C.
I did replace the awful original stock cooler with a Rajintek Arctic cooler which quietened and cooled it down substantially but I'm now wondering if that was inadequate as I didn't intend to run this CPU with a GPU.
So any ideas of how I might keep it cooler if you think the CPU is running too hot? ( apart from binning it of course :D)
Advice would be much appreciated...cheers.

Associate
Didn't 125W TDP Phenoms, like your model, start throttling at 62C?
I'd say clean the cooler and reapply the thermal paste, might do the trick.

Soldato
Didn't 125W TDP Phenoms, like your model, start throttling at 62C?
I'd say clean the cooler and reapply the thermal paste, might do the trick.

Don't know if they throttled, but 62C was the recommended max temperature.

It was seriously hard to keep those buggers below that though :(

Back
Top Bottom