BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
Well, hats off to BMW Insured Warranty.
Booked car into Sytner Mini Slough (no services available at either Derby or Maidenhead until at least 2nd week in September). Looked at them all, as I live in Derby and work in Slough.
Been having an issue with the clutch on my 320D, where it was juddering quite badly in all gears. Was almost cutting out when pulling off in first. Car has only done 62k of which most has been done up and down the motorway.
Booked in and they found the flywheel was borked, so new flywheel fitted. As the flywheel had caused the damage to the clutch plates, they also replaced them as well.
While the car was in I got an 18 plate Mini Cooper auto and was pleasantly surprised with it for bipping around town in.
Total cost of repair was my £100 excess.

Now the bad bit
Car has been given back and whilst the clutch is now super smooth in most gears, there is a real issue in 2nd and it has to go back in for investigation next Tuesday (car is really badly juddering at around 2k rpm through to 3.5k and there is a real clanking noise at these revs as well.):(
I'm thinking that something hasn't been re-assembled correctly.

Associate
I wouldn’t say that, i drove the car for almost 100 miles before the issue raised its head.
Called them back up and booked straight back in.
It was more to do with the fact that I have read across various forums that the owner usually ends up paying for a replacement clutch kit, but bmw replace the flywheel,etc.
As long as it gets sorted I am not too bothered, as I get a loan car from them.
Better than the service I received from Stratstone Derby.

Caporegime
Just purely out of interest, has anyone got/owned an E60 M5? What have the running costs been like?
Neither got nor owned one but know a few people who have, one (a late e61 touring) has been absolutely faultless, the others considerably less so.

Running costs of an e60 M5 can easily be summarised thus....

“If Sir has to ask, Sir can’t afford.....” :D

Soldato
Had the M Performance Power & Sound Kit fitted to my 440i GC today. Absolutely over the moon with it. Basically no louder in the cabin (and hardly from the outside) in comfort, then switch to sport mode and it is completely hilarious. The torque difference is definitely noticeable, but the exhaust note and pops on overrun, Christ..... :p:D

Shame it doesn't have that setting the new Ford Mustang does where it can automatically switch you to neighbour friendly mode once you get near your postcode!

Soldato
How much was it if you don’t mind me asking?

£1950 with carbon fibre tips. I'd been quoted £1750 4-5 months ago from the same dealer in Durham but they wouldn't budge on £1950. Shame I wasn't ready for it 4-5 months ago! Looking at Bimmerforums etc. if you're anywhere near Reading you should be able to get it for under £1750. The travelling wouldn't have made it worth the hassle for me. I'm over the moon with the purchase.

It entirely changes the character of the car in sport mode though, while leaving comfort mode practically untouched. It really has turned it into a Jekyll and Hyde car. :)

Soldato
So new Z4 is here, not so hot imo!

eWOuZy4.jpg
RIXqkCt.jpg
7D8J9Leh.jpg
twWs9Lt.jpg

Obviously the interior is a huge upgrade, the E89 being basically 10 years old now. Apart from that, I don't see much to like? It looks overall a bit stumpy to me, needs to be a smidge longer & lower, push the wheels further in the corners.

Also I don't understand their strategy? I thought the whole problem with the E89 was that it wasn't quite good enough as a sports car and not quite good enough as an SLK hairdresser car? M40i seems basically on a par with my old 35iS, minus DCT. Presumably the soft top makes a huge difference to handling? I wonder if they'll actually make an M this time.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Gloss black wheels.. pls go.
Gloss black gear knob.. wat?!
Any gloss black interior needs to go.. dust and swirly scratch magnets.

If they are going soft top, maybe they are trying to make this into a proper convertible sports car.
The ridges on the bonnet look very strange in those images.
Too many lines, angles and creases.
Overall C+

Back
Top Bottom