UK Based Domain Registar

Soldato
OP
How reliable are they, what's your personal expierence using them?

I have just managed to regain control of some .com domains after Register1 disappeared off the face of the earth without me realising it. Nine years ago I thought it would be a good idea to renew some critical domains over as long as possible so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting to renew them. I did not factor in that the registrar would disappear and leave me with no way to manage the domain. TUCOWS were not interested in helping and it took a lot of back and forth for them to finally give me access to my domains. So, I keen not to repeat the same mistake and rather than go with the cheapest I'd like to go with someone who will be around for a while!

Soldato
How reliable are they, what's your personal expierence using them?

I have just managed to regain control of some .com domains after Register1 disappeared off the face of the earth without me realising it. Nine years ago I thought it would be a good idea to renew some critical domains over as long as possible so I wouldn't have to worry about forgetting to renew them. I did not factor in that the registrar would disappear and leave me with no way to manage the domain. TUCOWS were not interested in helping and it took a lot of back and forth for them to finally give me access to my domains. So, I keen not to repeat the same mistake and rather than go with the cheapest I'd like to go with someone who will be around for a while!

Namecheap is awesome. I've lost count of the number of domains I have registered with them. I keep my account topped up with say $50 to $100, and they auto-renew my domains for me. No complaints whatsoever and to top it off they support DNSSEC as well do by using Google Cloud DNS I can use DNSSEC for all of my domains. Also, they offer free whois guard privacy.

Another very good domain registrar is Gandi.

Soldato
I know AWS use Gandi as their register for Route 53 but I've heard a lot of negative feedback from direct users. How have you found them?

When I used them, they were great. Gandi offered more TLDs than Namecheap did at the time. I don't know if this is just because I'm a more advanced user or not but I never needed to contact their technical support so I can't comment on that front. I recently went back to take another look at them, and they have updated their website to make it look a little bit nicer. I was considering moving all of my domain names over to them, but since that would cost me over $100, I couldn't justify the expense at that point. I'm still thinking about it, but I think I'll stick to Namecheap for the time being as I have got so used to their website I can do everything I need to do quickly. Plus as I said before, I have about $100 in my account as credit so if I want to buy another domain name I can do so without having to go through the hassle of paying using a different payment method.

Soldato
OP
I transferred a domain to AWS yesterday as it’s free and I needed to test something with Route 53. It was painless and the renewal price is very competitive.

I’ll transfer my next domain to Gandi directly and see how I get on.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom