• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ray Tracing - Do we care?

Ray Tracing - Do you care?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
If we keep this thread away from bickering we might have some laughs...

1-142-800x402.jpg

w9tdTLK.png
"...I once was a happy man, with a beautiful wife two beautiful kids. Then I bought a RTX2080Ti, and the rest is history..."

RTX bringing realism in more ways than one :D

Soldato
it wasn't posted to stir up hate, just having a laugh, you've got to really when you have to shell out this much money for a hobby, otherwise, you'd cry.
No not accusing you of hate, i love your OP pic, i'm actually lol'ing over it :)

There was some hate in the other thread, was a general musing as to where it might spill into

Soldato
To answer the OP, Yes I care but not when it is done in the manner Nvidia is doing.

Ray Tracing has always been part of CGI, but that was not real time and used for tv/film or products (rendered over many hours/days/weeks/months/years). Gaming ray tracing in real time will be cool, yes the Nvidia / DX ray tracing will never be as good as rendered type ray tracing that takes many hours/days/... but it will be a nice start and shocked really it hasn't come sooner, but reality is technology is not moving as fast as some thought it would have by now, but again.. it has in reality moved a lot. We have been spoiled for many decades by rendered CGI imagery and want that in our games.

Also the promise technology gave us is that every year it should get cheaper and cheaper for more performance.. but reality is showing the opposite as prices are now going up faster than the performance or features worth the extra.

Like I said in previous thread, Nvidia can keep them, this is a gaming card not a card for scientific or industrial type work.. So price it like a gaming product.. and get real.

Caporegime
Like I said in previous thread, Nvidia can keep them, this is a gaming card not a card for scientific or industrial type work.. So price it like a gaming product.. and get real.

Agreed, the price really needs to come down but as long as they see demand it won't. Plenty of talk about the die size being the reason for the price hike, also talk about the 300k of excess pascal inventory they made hoping miners would suck them up which didn't happen being another cause. If it was priced the same as 1080ti while expensive it wouldn't have had the backlash it does, but other "factors" are in play which lets them ratchet the price up :( It's more a case of them seeing what they can get away with imo

Soldato
I care, I think it is an incredible opportunity to create fully immersive environments. The Witcher/Skyrim/Fallout/tomb raider with full ray tracing for environmentals would be awesome.

In Tomb raider you could actually have to position mirrors to read a clue, Resident Evil/Zombie game with reflections of nasty happening in rooms, or about to eat you...

Picking on FPS games dropping frames as a reason to kick an entire technology is a bit harsh. Sure I don't see this being as big a deal in sports titles, FPS or RTS games but then IF you can use that section for AI it would enable vastly more complex environments in other ways as well.

Do I care about it being in the very next card I buy? Probably not so much as I think it is going to be the next generation of games at the earliest that take real advantage of this.

Soldato
....Skyrim/Fallout.... with full ray tracing for environmentals would be awesome.

It would but this is Bethesda Game Studios we are talking about who are behind the curve in everything.

First we need get Bethesda Game Studios to stop using the Creation/Gamebryo engine - if they add any more to that engine it will collapse on itself. They need to fix more basic things,like character models,etc first and get off their arse and actually support their games - they are massively behind in proper CPU optimisations,and their games soon become more of a CPU and storage benchmark once they get pushed and modders need to fix so many things. This is from someone who has a 1000 hours in Fallout 4 and 100s of hours in Skyrim and Skyrim:Special Edition.

To put in context The Witcher 3 is less taxing than Fallout 4 for me now. I actually think Cyberpunk 2077 will have some RTX derived tech in it,but I trust CDPR more on the technical side though.

Last edited:
Associate
It would but this is Bethesda Game Studios we are talking about who are behind the curve in everything.

First we need get Bethesda Game Studios to stop using the Creation/Gamebryo engine - if they add any more to that engine it will collapse on itself. They need to fix more basic things,like character models,etc first and get off their arse and actually support their games - they are massively behind in proper CPU optimisations,and their games soon become more of a CPU and storage benchmark once they get pushed and modders need to fix so many things. This is from someone who has a 1000 hours in Fallout 4 and 100s of hours in Skyrim and Skyrim:Special Edition.

To put in context The Witcher 3 is less taxing than Fallout 4 for me now. I actually think Cyberpunk 2077 will have some RTX derived tech in it,but I trust CDPR more on the technical side though.
Is there any reason they couldn't use IDtech in the RPGs?

Soldato
Is there any reason they couldn't use IDtech in the RPGs?

It might be cost and manpower?? They are much smaller than CDPR for instance so I think they just go with what know already and probably expect the community to assist IMHO. Fallout 76 I am hoping is the last hurrah of the engine,and they will need to make sure that QC/QA is done better,otherwise you will have broken questlines,etc and no unofficial patch to fix it. For an old engine what they have done is impressive,but this is the sort of game Vulkan would be ideal for TBH.

I really hope ES6 and FO5 do move to move to id Tech as that should mean Vulkan support.

Back
Top Bottom