Building a tv feature wall

Soldato
Can people show me pictures of there home feature wall with the tv on it?

I'm moving into a new build soon and toying with the idea of a chipboard/plasterboard false studded feature wall to hang my tv and home cinema speakers and hide the wires etc

Not sure whether to paint it/wallpaper or cover the feature wall in some fancy fabric such as velvet.

Any help especially pictures or guides appreciated

Man of Honour
As long as the room is large enough to accommodate it then a feature wall can be very effective, particularly where you'll looking to have the TV completely flush mounted and conventional speakers (for sound quality and value) semi invisible.

There are some very effective wall papers available. I've been to homes where the wall looked clad in leather (sounds cheesy but done right and in sympathy with the room design it looks very good) or patterned suede effect. Don't overlook lighting as well.

Caporegime
I'll try and get pictures of mine tonight. It's a wooden wall which sticks out from the real wall. It has a fireplace embedded at the bottom. The tv is hidden. As in you cannot tell there is a tv in the room. The wooden wall then opens up and enclosed is a tv on an articulated bracket so it can be pulled out and angled in any direction.

Soldato
OP
I'll try and get pictures of mine tonight. It's a wooden wall which sticks out from the real wall. It has a fireplace embedded at the bottom. The tv is hidden. As in you cannot tell there is a tv in the room. The wooden wall then opens up and enclosed is a tv on an articulated bracket so it can be pulled out and angled in any direction.

that would be great thank you :)

Soldato
Mine is on the actual wall, but since it's a plasterboard wall, the wires are hidden inside it. I have hidden the wires from the satellite speakers, as well as HDMI down to the Amplifier below. The wall is kind of a feature in that it's the only wall with paper on, the rest are painted. I'm not sure it's what you're after though, since it sounds like you want a bolt on?

Caporegime
that would be great thank you :)

They are on my phone. It's going to be a pain to upload them as I won't be able to until i get home. Do you want to trust message me your email address? That way I can email you the pics.

Otherwise I'll need to email them to myself then upload when I'm home then post them.

Soldato
OP
They are on my phone. It's going to be a pain to upload them as I won't be able to until i get home. Do you want to trust message me your email address? That way I can email you the pics.

Otherwise I'll need to email them to myself then upload when I'm home then post them.

have emailed you :)

Caporegime
That is very clever what you've done thank you :cool:

Yeah it gets compliments all the time from any visitors.

They usually have never seen anything like it.

The only down side is, it restricts upgrades in future. We don't use it as our main viewing area tbh. It's mainly used when we have guests.

Caporegime
Do share! Having a re-do in our lounge and had toyed with the idea of a feature wall.

yeah sounds quite good interested to see what you have done if you don't mind

well i've now got them in my email account so I'll download to my pc and then upload them to imgur or something. unless you guys can recommend a better alternative?

i'll try and get them up this evening the celtic game is on tonight so i'll try and do them at half time or after if i remember.

basically it's a wooden box which juts out from the wall. enclosed int he bottom is a fireplace. at the top there is 2 sliding doors but they are hidden. they expose a tv using rails and then the tv can either be viewed from within it's enclosure or pulled out and angled in any direction.

but a picture speaks a thousand words so I'll let them do the talking.

Caporegime
That is a pretty neat design, did you build it yourself or get someone to do it for you

the previous owner built it i believe. however i have modified it. he didn't have an articulated bracket just a normal wall bracket. i am also planning on adding a motor to open the doors by remote but that could just be a pipe dream as we don't use this room much for watching tv.

Soldato
@Psycho Sonny - that's a really neat idea. It hides the TV really nicely. I think if I were going to do something like that I'd go more for inbuilt shelving around the TV rather than a hidden unit, but it's certainly food for thought. Thanks for sharing!

Associate
I am nearly finished building mine - but cannot decide what to cover the mdf with. I have thought about wood laminates, paint, wallpaper and fabric and really cant decide.

I have all the wires hidden and have RGB LED lights on the surround - controllable through a phone app called 'Magic Home' that can link to Alexa if required.

I'm relatively pleased with it although it does make the TV feel smaller..!!

Some poor quality build progress below.
IMG_0662.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

Caporegime
Pretty cool :cool: Though not keen on the wood pattern or wallpaper. :p

I didn't choose either. Previous owner. I think the wood is fine. I'm not keen on the wallpaper but I painted the rest of the room. The wallpaper remained on the one wall as it was before.

There is still a lot in the house which is a WIP. I've got 1 full bathroom to do at some point. Another which is half done, etc.

Back
Top Bottom