• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The RTX 2080 pre-order thread

Soldato
If your case can handle the extra length then go for the MSI imo.
It looks like there's a lot more heat sink on the MSI card vs the Founders, so i guess that answers that.

cards.png

Soldato
Yup, be interesting to see if the new ref design can handle the full load of the core...

The claim was that the new FE heatsink was built with overclocking in mind, but that remains to be seen. Is the MSI a straight heatsink +fans or vapour chamber like the FE? (And do vapour chambers actually make any difference once the heatsink is hot?).

Associate
So which AIB model are you guys interested in?

So far I'm leaning towards MSI Trio which can be had for 815£ - should be the cheapest of the "premium" ones.
MSI is usually the one with the largest cards availability out of the gate, so I hope to get it by the beginning of October (so many great games coming until next year!).

If Palit/Gainward cards move closer to 700£ I'll go with one of those though, after the great experience with my ugly GameRock.

P.S. Would've liked EVGA, as it's the only brand I never tried, but IMO their cards look remarkably ugly this year.

Soldato
No chance. How long did they ship cards with the blower style cooler which couldn't handle the heat generated?
To be honest I think the FE cooling will be as good as an any. A little extra heat sink probably isnt going to make much difference for £100+ and the AIB cards all look a bit naff to me.
Some of the FE 10 series cards clocked as hgh as AIB cards if I remember correctly, just noisey when doing so if you ramped up the fan. The new design moves away from that issue.
FE or buy the cheapest and add watercooling IMO.

Associate
What's certain is we can see AIB didn't have time to make their coolers this time around, they all look quite boring compared to previous generations.

I guess more stuff will come later with custom PCB. That said custom PCB doesn't really mean anything to most people.

Associate
What's certain is we can see AIB didn't have time to make their coolers this time around, they all look quite boring compared to previous generations.

I guess more stuff will come later with custom PCB. That said custom PCB doesn't really mean anything to most people.
True, they all look terrible really. The FE is certainly the best looking card.

Associate
True, they all look terrible really. The FE is certainly the best looking card.
I remember going through 8 different 980Ti models back in the day (between curiosity and bad experiences), I was actually happy to see how different from each other they all were.

This time, I don't know. ROG is always the same - looks great but if you're getting a 2080 ROG, might as well pay a bit more for the TI.

AORUS will probably look good though.

Asus Matrix with the grey and orange color scheme is the best looking card I've ever seen.

32143_asus%20matrix%20platinum%20gtx%20980ti%20review%20-%20intro.jpg

Associate
I remember going through 8 different 980Ti models back in the day (between curiosity and bad experiences), I was actually happy to see how different from each other they all were.

This time, I don't know. ROG is always the same - looks great but if you're getting a 2080 ROG, might as well pay a bit more for the TI.

AORUS will probably look good though.

Asus Matrix with the grey and orange color scheme is the best looking card I've ever seen.

32143_asus%20matrix%20platinum%20gtx%20980ti%20review%20-%20intro.jpg

I had two 980 Matrix' running in SLI!

Beat looking for me is the MSI 1070 Ti Titanium.

The latest coolers look very rushed and tacked on.

Associate
For now, the Gaming X Trio looks like it will be the best of the bunch by far. This cooler design has been carried over from the 1080Ti with slight tweaks. The gaming X Trio on the 1080Ti got rave reviews regarding the extreme cooling performance matched with very quiet low RPM fan speed under load.

I always find that when a new generation comes out, it's the coolers that have been finely refined, rather than the new designs that fare the best all the time. Don't be surprised if the Strix, Gaming X Trio and FTW3 are unbeatable once again for cooling performance and low noise.

That said, I've pre-ordered the cheapest £1050 Asus 2080Ti, because I do not get charged until dispatch with the amazon payment method. I can cancel without paying a penny if the reviews and benchmark results are lacklustre in non ray tracing apples for apples vs the 10 series.

Associate
The cards being so close in price makes me wonder if I should just get the Ti, but I'm afraid it would be wasted for 1440p even at 144Hz.

For now, the Gaming X Trio looks like it will be the best of the bunch by far. This cooler design has been carried over from the 1080Ti with slight tweaks. The gaming X Trio on the 1080Ti got rave reviews regarding the extreme cooling performance matched with very quiet low RPM fan speed under load.

I always find that when a new generation comes out, it's the coolers that have been finely refined, rather than the new designs that fare the best all the time. Don't be surprised if the Strix, Gaming X Trio and FTW3 are unbeatable once again for cooling performance and low noise.

That said, I've pre-ordered the cheapest £1050 Asus 2080Ti, because I do not get charged until dispatch with the amazon payment method. I can cancel without paying a penny if the reviews and benchmark results are lacklustre in non ray tracing apples for apples vs the 10 series.

Are you planning to watercool that dodgy Asus model?

Soldato
Pulled the trigger on two MSI Duke Ti's after much back and forth. I hear on EVGA forum the NVLink will be sold by partners also so some other designs to the bland Nvidia one i've got on order :)

Back
Top Bottom