What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
Well, quite! Especially in our (I'm guessing) non military use! But I was responding to Toshj who seemed to feel the NATO would be less secure than his usual bracelet/strap, and just reassuring him that the design is theoretically more secure. But on a modern solid end linked Sub? I'd wager they're pretty bloody secure, and possibly even put less stress on the spring bars than a NATO would. Maybe.
No worries I was just genuinely curious how much it happened to others!

I've broken three in the last year and I work a desk job - I have no idea why they keep giving up on me :S.
Guessing its how you rest and move your hand on the desk.

Soldato
I've broken three in the last year and I work a desk job - I have no idea why they keep giving up on me :S.
You dont wear it too tight do you? it's the only thing I could think of that would do that 3 times. I like my watch a bit tight, I dont like it moving around too much but I've not popped the pins yet.

Soldato
I could do with some advice.

I purchased a decent Mondaine about 6 months ago. About a fortnight ago, it stopped randomly for a few hours, then restarted. Then it stopped entirely.

I assumed it might be the battery, but the Mondaine warranty states they don't warrant against the battery. So I took it to get the battery replaced. At the shop, it didn't restart once the new battery was in, they left it for 4 hours.

I took it away on the assumption it was broken, so I could send it off for repair. Then suddenly it's started working again - and has been fine with no stoppages for a week now.

Not sure whether to send it off now whilst it's working fine, or get it looked at by the repair centre that Mondaine use in the UK. It's got a 2 year warranty, so I could wait a bit longer...
Very odd, I’d certainly want it looked at as soon as possible.

Agreed. Send it back in to them (they should pay for that given it's faulty).

Soldato
Can you expand on how they broke?
It's worth noting that there is a huge variety of spring bar types, thicknesses and end types, so it may be worthwhile changing to a sturdier one. Then again, a failed spring bar is usually preferable to a torn strap!

Soldato
Can you expand on how they broke?
It's worth noting that there is a huge variety of spring bar types, thicknesses and end types, so it may be worthwhile changing to a sturdier one. Then again, a failed spring bar is usually preferable to a torn strap!

Also when you put the strap back on did you replace the bars or just use the old ones?

I'd like to put a leather strap or a NATO on my PO but I dont have the bottle to risk scratching it when taking the current one off / replacing it.

Soldato
Also when you put the strap back on did you replace the bars or just use the old ones?

I'd like to put a leather strap or a NATO on my PO but I dont have the bottle to risk scratching it when taking the current one off / replacing it.
Take it to an Omega 'boutique' and they'll often do that sort of thing for you for free. If not, there are tools you can buy to minimise the risk such as spring bar tweezers, but the decent ones of those are around £100. I'd just crack on with it using a standard spring bar remover and if you like, tape up the lugs to protect them from glancing blows.

Soldato
Guys speakin gof changing straps, how long does it take do do it? With the right tool is it pretty easy to change from metal to leather and back again?
It's going to be very much user dependent. It now takes me less than a minute to go from one to the other, being careful. But when I first started, I'd take a heck of a lot longer, just not being firm enough with the spring bars, or not getting the angle quite right.

There is no rush to do it, so just be careful. It can get quite frustrating, especially with newer watches having tighter tolerances meaning things can get pretty irritating!

Associate
Take it to an Omega 'boutique' and they'll often do that sort of thing for you for free. If not, there are tools you can buy to minimise the risk such as spring bar tweezers, but the decent ones of those are around £100. I'd just crack on with it using a standard spring bar remover and if you like, tape up the lugs to protect them from glancing blows.

Pretty sure it's been mentioned before on here but if you're that worried about scratching the watch, I'd give the dental floss trick a go.

Associate
Hi folks!

MY father wears a Rolex Datejust which was purchased new 5 years ago. I understand that Rolex's are meant to be serviced from time to time. Can anyone elaborate on how often, cost and necessity. Its no longer in warranty so I can't invalidate the warranty by not getting it serviced so why bother? Will it effect the resale value if I don't get it serviced?

Also whats the best way to clean it? After daily wear its a bit dirty. I read on the Rolex website that just warm soapy water and a soft brush or cloth.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Associate
Hi folks!

MY father wears a Rolex Datejust which was purchased new 5 years ago. I understand that Rolex's are meant to be serviced from time to time. Can anyone elaborate on how often, cost and necessity. Its no longer in warranty so I can't invalidate the warranty by not getting it serviced so why bother? Will it effect the resale value if I don't get it serviced?

Also whats the best way to clean it? After daily wear its a bit dirty. I read on the Rolex website that just warm soapy water and a soft brush or cloth.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Apparently if it is still keeping good time then don’t bother.

Caporegime
Well, I have now received my Oris Artix Pointer Moon...

39964246_10155358607526330_3983050935420059648_o.jpg

It is 42mm but looks if anything wears a little larger than my Pelagos due to the almost "bezelless" face it has which really allows the space to be used. I love the 29 day moonphase complication it's pretty unique and it's also the first watch I have had with a clear back case window. The bracelet is highly polished but also thin and light and I am sure will dull down a bit soon. It appears to be in perfect mechanical and working condition, though I expected no less from a new watch. It is really a great looking and very light watch that goes perfectly with my business attire and I already had some compliments today. It's also nice to own a watch from one of the few independent watchmakers left that hasn't been swallowed by Swatch et al.

I bought from Jomashop.com and altogether including shipping and taxes it cost me around 900USD... considering the RRP is 2100USD I consider that an absolute bargain. I have never had a watch go faulty within 2 years so I don't see why the loss of warranty is an issue and if I do need a service it will still only cost a couple of hundred. For a 60% saving I think I will be buying more grey markets in future. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Thinking of getting a Tissot Ballade Powermatic 80 COSC as I really like the looks of it and can get one for just under £500. Any thoughts or anyone got one?

YSMN
Looks acceptable, long power reserve, accurate modern 'semi-disposable' movement that usually gets replaced rather than serviced/repaired. You could do worse I guess.

However, I would say Hamiltons are cooler and more individual and for 500 you can get some great automatic watches like the Khaki Field Auto or Jazzmasters https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collections/hamilton-watches/gender-mens+movement-automatic

With 2-4 years interest free credit you may be able to stretch the budget a little further too.

Associate
Some of you have some amazing watches from a quick glance through the thread!

Just wondered if someone could advise on a cheap/cheerful strap for me at all? It's for a very cheap watch but one with sentimental value, it's an old Seiko 5 which my dad had in for repair when he passed away but luckily I remembered him mentioning it so it was only by luck I got it back from the shop it was booked in with. It's a far cry from some of the watches here but hoping someone can offer some advice :)

I believe it's a 20mm strap with a black leather Buffalo finish I think it's called.

Went into town in my lunch and only 1 place out of 3 had a suitable strap but wanted £39.99 for it which felt excessive. Is that the going rate or were they trying their luck? Felt the latter but I'm massively out of touch with this stuff.

Edit: A photo incase it helps...

39943059_10155716736821966_6733891236974821376_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom