Garlic Puree

Soldato
I use a mini food processor, was from Aldi.
I do tend to process about 10 bulbs of garlic at a time.
Freeze it in 2tbsp portions of garlic and ginger.

Caporegime
it literally takes 10 seconds to throw some ginger into a food processor and whizz it up. i leave skin on. the wife will run a peeler over them if she's doing it.

so i don't see the point in buying frozen. when you can have fresh within 2 minutes.

garlic is a bit trickier as you need to peel it. you can use 2 metal bowls to rattle the skin off them in seconds. or a rubber roller to get the skin off quick. again it takes 2 mins to make some. i don't see why anyone wouldn't use fresh.

Is it something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-MMR0...&qid=1534858053&sr=8-13&keywords=mini+chopper

For £28 I thought what the hell and ordered to give it a try. I'll report back :)

I was thinking if the blades aren't quite low enough I might be able to use a small amount of water or oil to top it up...

i find they are okay but their motor does go after a couple of years. i can usually smell burning off them when making pakora sauce, etc. they are okay for garlic but onions and ginger can be tough. may need to throw in some oil to help it or chop them up a bit before throwing them in so it's not as chunky.

Soldato
OP
it literally takes 10 seconds to throw some ginger into a food processor and whizz it up. i leave skin on. the wife will run a peeler over them if she's doing it.

so i don't see the point in buying frozen. when you can have fresh within 2 minutes.

garlic is a bit trickier as you need to peel it. you can use 2 metal bowls to rattle the skin off them in seconds. or a rubber roller to get the skin off quick. again it takes 2 mins to make some. i don't see why anyone wouldn't use fresh.

i find they are okay but their motor does go after a couple of years. i can usually smell burning off them when making pakora sauce, etc. they are okay for garlic but onions and ginger can be tough. may need to throw in some oil to help it or chop them up a bit before throwing them in so it's not as chunky.

Mind arrived yesterday. Obvs couldn't resist trying out right away. One large bulb, large chunk of ginger, and a single chilli seem to bend well. It's larger than I thought though. It probably would just about blend smaller amounts but you'd have to keep opening it up and mixing the chunks back in. Opening is a pain as it has a seal for blending liquids.

I did add some oil, which helped.

Fingers are still smelly this morning. I think I'm just going to have to accept defeat on that front.

All in all I'd give it a 6-7/10

Last edited:
Soldato
Fingers are still smelly this morning.
can't see why ? only the the de-skinning when you're interacting... i'm sure it would impregnate a spatula though, emptying fp bowl.
(have some wooden spoons that are strictly savoury)

it literally takes 10 seconds to throw some ginger into a food processor and whizz it up
.. if it something like a chilli where have not got the food processor on ... then creates Δ washing up, no ?, so may need multiple tools

Soldato
Yes, the deskinning. I used the bash about in a bowl method and some of the larger cloves split slightly
usually use the sharpest of vegetable knives on a chopping board to deskin. ... after two ends are chopped not to finnickety.
suspect that fresher EU garlic, may de-skin easier , apparently most supermarkets (what I use) have platinum card chinese

you supposedly leave skin on .. can't see how skin residue would not impede a garlic press from successive cloves

Those plates/dishes will be smelly, and both this and the 'mechanical grater' (do you really have one ? look at size) will have a lot of waste
... lol a garlic clove is 25p asda someone must be getting rich ?

Caporegime
can't see why ? only the the de-skinning when you're interacting... i'm sure it would impregnate a spatula though, emptying fp bowl.
(have some wooden spoons that are strictly savoury)

.. if it something like a chilli where have not got the food processor on ... then creates Δ washing up, no ?, so may need multiple tools

all we do is grab the plastic container thing and either rinse it out or chuck it in the washing machine. it's may need a bit of elbow grease. but it's built to come apart and be easily washable. again you're talking less than 30 seconds to clean it.

Caporegime
http://www.kuhnrikonshop.com/product/epicurean-garlic-press

Used this for years best press ever. Works in a busy kitchen all staff use it. Add small bit of salt and work it amazing paste.
whos kuhn rikon of switzerland? never seen there stuff in any shops in Switzerland amazingly

Swiss quality is almost a MEME btw, it's designed to stop swiss people from walking across the border in to germany where everything is much cheaper

seems most swiss people use migros own brand cucina & tavola I think it is or betty bossi which I think is a coop brand after some fictional lady used to sell cookbooks in the 50s

Last edited:
Caporegime
seems to be in the main swiss department store globus https://www.globus.ch/suche?q=kuhn ?
...but if his kitchen have owned one and it hasn't broken ....

wasn't there a scandal about Swiss army knive manufacture/quality
... I'm more a fan of Zyliss
ahh globus I don't think they have many stores.
My city doesn't have one (small city in zurich kanton 360k pop or so) but I've been in the one in Zurich one time.
I think the only department store in my city is manor

Soldato
Fingers are still smelly this morning. I think I'm just going to have to accept defeat on that front.

I've always found that rinsing hands under cold water (no soap, not hot water) usually clears away pretty much all of the garlic small whenever I peel and chop garlic finely for curry. May be worth a try? (or trying a different garlic - this could be complete tosh but I assume fresher garlic has less of a linger)

Back
Top Bottom