• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ray Tracing - Do we care?

Ray Tracing - Do you care?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
It might be cost and manpower?? They are much smaller than CDPR for instance so I think they just go with what know already and probably expect the community to assist IMHO. Fallout 76 I am hoping is the last hurrah of the engine,and they will need to make sure that QC/QA is done better,otherwise you will have broken questlines,etc and no unofficial patch to fix it. For an old engine what they have done is impressive,but this is the sort of game Vulkan would be ideal for TBH.

I really hope ES6 and FO5 do move to move to id Tech as that should mean Vulkan support.
I find it odd they don't, must be easier to use and it cost them enough to buy ID so seems odd they don't make the most of it.

Caporegime
4379c3c9eb8b8134a3e9c875751b1d7aeac8197c9ccb576656a2b68b77764a38.png

Caporegime
Well since most of the actual cards won't be out until then, that shouldn't be a problem. Preorders for the 2080ti estimated arrival 23/10/2018.

Yeah, but doesn't that make everyone wrong about it being Nvidias Gimpworks, and proprietary to them, if its going to be part of the DX spec, and when Intel come in, they'll be able to do it on their cards too, yes ?

Last edited:
Soldato
144fps to 24fps is a massive hit, i would rather do without the reflections.

Well, if the performance doesn't improve from the current demos, then I think most people will be turning it off. Sure, when people get their new cards, it will be all WOW, this is amazing etc. Then when the novelty dies down and they are fed up with the frame rate tanking in games, they will turn it off. Game Patches and Driver updates will become highly anticipated as people look for the performance updates.

Of course, that's only if the performance stays the same as now. Hopefully, it will be much better on release.

Soldato
Yeah, but doesn't that make everyone wrong about it being Nvidias Gimpworks, and proprietary to them, if its going to be part of the DX spec, and when Intel come in, they'll be able to do it on their cards too, yes ?

Oh, I didn't realise your comment was about gimpworks. I thought you were just talking about the delay from the launch date of the cars until Ray Tracing is useable.

IF it's in DX, then yeah, they will be able to use it. I know Vulkan has it.

Soldato
Ahh cool, Vulkan works on Win 7 too. :p

it works on windows 7,8,8.1, but i hear it doesn't work as well as windows 10 since versions of WDDM older than 2.0 don't have pathways in them that are optimised for low abstraction API's. I hear it is also one of the reasons why Mantle in Frostbite had issues and needed weird workarounds at the expense of performance.

Soldato
I voted yes. Because it looks great and if these engineers say it's the future then who am I to argue. But I won't be paying the early adopter price tag.

I may upgrade to a 1080ti in a month or so. Then in a few years take another look.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
While the Ray tracing is certainly a step in the right direction. I just can't see it taking off big style until it's also on consoles, and can be run without much trouble on more mainstream cards like the Nvidia *50 and *60 and AMD *70/*80 series.

If the 2080Ti is only holding up, what is a main seller card like the 2060 going to do other than buckle into the single digit FPS region.

Back
Top Bottom