• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Caporegime
On the flip side it gives us more of a reason not to upgrade.

Seems like Ray Tracing isn't ready for the prime time yet. Maybe next generation.
nV said themselves true real time ray tracing needs something like 2,000 times the performance of the 2080 Ti :p

This is hybrid ray tracing, and potentially not even that is ready for prime time ;)

Associate
Don't forget these are RTX FPS. That's got to mean something.

Yes i agree apparently you can get around 100fps on 4k
A company called AMD did it back in 2013, but the ball didn't roll and you see why today....

I thought it was to do with hardware limitiation and reading foxeyes post i was right so forgive my ignorance regarding ray traceing.

nV said themselves true real time ray tracing needs something like 2,000 times the performance of the 2080 Ti :p

This is hybrid ray tracing, and potentially not even that is ready for prime time ;)

No wonder all to do with hardware limitation, you need a super computer then.

Soldato

@4K8KW10 wrote a post last weekend that the Nvdia numbers do not add up.
For 4K 60fps at 200rays per pixel (as per Star Wars and the other demo videos) you need 200gigarays.
To add the noise fixing you need x10 minimum. So 2000gigarays.

Assuming that the RTX2080Ti is capable of doing 10 gigarays = 200rays per pixer at 1080p 24fps you need 200 RTX2080Tis as bare minimum.
And wrote assuming because it could be doing 2 rays per pixel, so at 4K 60fps = 10 gigarays.....

That is why this "gigarays" is a big lie. You can have 200 rays per pixel or 2 rays per pixel. The latter will look **** the former is cinematic quality.

Soldato
Yes i agree apparently you can get around 100fps on 4k

I thought it was to do with hardware limitiation and reading foxeyes post i was right so forgive my ignorance regarding ray traceing.

No wonder all to do with hardware limitation, you need a super computer then.

No mate. It has nothing to do with hardware limitations. And the reason Jensen/Nvidia decided to show the comperative performance of Xeon server and not AMD Fire Pro server is that.

Caporegime
Eurgh just read this - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html

Seems the NDA terms must include encourage readers to pre-order...
Toms hw has been useless - really useless - for years. I remember maybe 10 years ago it was worth a read?

While we don't have final benchmark results, the new features and enhanced performance of the Turing cards make them worth buying now, even at sky-high prices.
Does ... not... compute.

Soldato
Frankly I wouldn't trust anyone who didn't review hardware they'd bought with their own money.

Reviewers who get "free samples"? Yeah, no thanks. They will, consciously or sub-consciously, be afraid to give negative reviewes out of fear of being cut off from their free stuff.

It's just a bad place to be. Either buy the hardware you review, or accept that you can't be 100% unbiased.
Free samples = Multi Year NDA
Multi Year NDA = Only Praise
Only Praise = Find other reviewers who bought the card and not under NDA.

Toms hw has been useless - really useless - for years. I remember maybe 10 years ago it was worth a read?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html
While we don't have final benchmark results
, the new features and enhanced performance of the Turing cards make them worth buying now, even at sky-high prices.
Does ... not... compute.
They signed the Multi Year NDA

Back
Top Bottom