Is my 550W PSU up to the task?

Associate
Good morning all, I have a thread in the Graphics Card section about upgrading from AMD 260X 2Gb. I'm pretty much there in terms of that decision: it's looking like 1070/1070Ti is the way to go.

I simply wanted to confirm whether my PSU would be up the task.

My spec is in my signature, but for clarity I have a SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" PSU.

Soldato
Hi

You should be fine. Some of the internals (i.e Caps) are obviously not as good as the Leadex/II as it is more budget orientated, but you shouldn't have any problems with it.

Man of Honour
More than enough. I am running a BeQuiet Straight Power 11 550w psu in the pc in my siggy (similar spec to you) along with 12x 120mm fans, 4x 200mm fans, 2x fan controllers, 2x Temp monitors and a couple of leds for the reservoir. It only pulls 128-275w at the wall while gaming (depending on the game) and the very max I have managed to make it pull was 367w at the wall while using OCCT's psu torture test. Idling/ internet browsing is 72w at the wall. I have live power draw displayed in one of my fan controllers which is how I know what is being drawn all of the time. Your Superflower has 546w on it's 12v rail and although it's not the best psu, it is far from the worst as well and should have no problem powering that pc with a 1070/1070ti. The 1000 series Nvidia cards are very efficient when it comes to power draw.

Soldato
How much power on hours that PSU has had? Few hours per day or lot per day?

If it's had heavy use would want to check ripple with oscilliscope.
SuperFlower put secondary capacitors into place of which I would be wary of for any capacitor:
Sandwhiched between 12V rectifier heatsink and DC-DC board for lower voltages.
https://diit.cz/clanek/recenze-supe...-450p14xehx-test/primarni-strana-vetev-5-v-sb
And as rule you want to keep breathing distance between electrolytic capacitors and heat sources to minimize their wear from heat.

The 1000 series Nvidia cards are very efficient when it comes to power draw.
Not all.
Factory overclocked non-reference 1080 Tis reach upward 300W power draw.
Smaller GPU based 1080 stay in more lower numbers unless more heavily overclocked.

Soldato
How much power on hours that PSU has had? Few hours per day or lot per day?

If it's had heavy use would want to check ripple with oscilliscope.
SuperFlower put secondary capacitors into place of which I would be wary of for any capacitor:
Sandwhiched between 12V rectifier heatsink and DC-DC board for lower voltages.
https://diit.cz/clanek/recenze-supe...-450p14xehx-test/primarni-strana-vetev-5-v-sb
And as rule you want to keep breathing distance between electrolytic capacitors and heat sources to minimize their wear from heat.

Not all.
Factory overclocked non-reference 1080 Tis reach upward 300W power draw.
Smaller GPU based 1080 stay in more lower numbers unless more heavily overclocked.

Hadn't thought of the 1080Ti using that much power.

I keep getting the message

power supply surges detected during the previous power on

possibly the PSU is on its way out. I have had it (Corsair 850w) for many many years and I'm now looking to replace it.
I'm considering a Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum, they seem to be quite well respected.
I am now thinking around a 650w to 750w, considering what I power.

Ordered a Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W.

ripple etc being particularly good on that model, for a price...!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom