• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
Its understandable from a view point of minimising leaks but also needing to get game devs to intergrate the new features in time for launch / reviews. If reviewers can't test the new features then its not going to showcase the product.

Both Tomb Raider & BF5 teams said that they are working with RTX cards since 2017 to implement ray tracing on their upcoming games.
Is not something new they found the last two weeks.

Soldato
4A Games Targeting 1080P@60FPS for NVIDIA RTX in Metro Exodus...
https://wccftech.com/4a-games-1080p60fps-rtx-metro-exodus/

Why on earth would you turn on RTX to only maybe achieve 1080P@60FPS

I know that you share the same view as a lot of others here, and I understand your point. Obviously for those of us (which is a great deal at this point) who own 2K or 4K monitors, this far from ideal. With that said, "because it's god damn raytracing".

I stand by what I said after the conference, gamescon was utterly the wrong setting to expose this technology. Threads the world over, including this one, have proven that. This is a huge deal, and I can understand why NVIDIA want to share it with everyone. It's simply that they chose to make it the entire focal point of the conference, and that was a bad move. Right now, it's the technology at a very coarse level. We are years, maybe even decades away from being able to render in real-time with the same level of fidelity, or samples per pixels that is possible in non-realtime. That really shouldn't take away how awesome this is, though. It's just certainly not for everyone just yet, least not gamers.

Last edited:
Soldato
The GI in that Metro demo looks terrible.

There's full clear sunlight outside and yet in the middle of the room the table is in almost complete darkness. Looks baaaaad.

Associate
I don't think it will be as bad as all this backlash, but at the same time it certainly won't be as good as we've all anticipated for very long. NVIDIA basically has just risen the global price of their graphic cards and I wouldn't expect it to be cheaper next time around. It appears to me that they have released the TI at the same time, quite unusual, to raise this expected price and so that we ultimately had something this time around that is better than the last gen's card (1080 ti). Imagine what we'd all be saying if they had released only the 2080 on it's own.

They wouldn't be able to vaguely say RTX is % better. As everytime they vaguely say anything about RTX we all know they are specifically referring too the 2080ti.

Soldato
What reviewers can we trust not to be persuaded by money to give an honest opinion?

I like to read/watch a number of reviews to establish a base line. However, I have a lot of respect for Gamer Nexus. As it was mentioned, their video on Tom's Hardware shilling is pretty good!

Associate
What will really matter is sales, i.e. what most buyers do - not what early adopting forum posters say or do.
If the perception is that 20xx is pricey, so people think you need to spend 1100 to get a good 4K HDR experience against 500 for a console (forgetting 30 vs 60 fps) - consoles being AMD territory - then Nvidia will reconsider.
7nm may be the excuse to drop the price - I remember the 970 etc being a surprise as cheaper than expected back then.

Associate
I like to read/watch a number of reviews to establish a base line. However, I have a lot of respect for Gamer Nexus. As it was mentioned, their video on Tom's Hardware shilling is pretty good!

Absolutely. Gamers Nexus is my new go to, I like how they're actively trying to move away from funding from within the industry they cover.

Back
Top Bottom