Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
Looking into getting a Router for my Superhub3 and have some questions for people who might use one

Did you notice any differences in ping/packet loss? I game only with my PC which is connected directly to my HUB3 and I am considering getting a router to try and fix some of the Ping/Packet loss issues.

Have any of you used the HUB3 in modem mode with or without another router and was it any better for gaming?

Like I said I only really use Ethernet,my pc is directly connected to my Hub3 and the only things on Wifi are my Sky+ box,two phones and a laptop that don't really use much bandwidth. I don't care for a router that has good Wi-Fi so if you guys have any recommendations please tell me.

Don't really want to spend over £80

Soldato
Just wondering if anybody here has used there SH3 in modem mode for gaming?

Did you notice any differences in ping/packet loss? I game only with my PC which is connected directly to my HUB3 and I am considering getting a router to try and fix some of the Ping/Packet loss issues.

Have any of you used the HUB3 in modem mode with or without another router and was it any better for gaming?
How often do you reboot/turn off your SH3? The routing issue is persistent so it get worse the longer the SH3 is powered up. Unfortunately modem mode is not a cure for the issue but it does fix some of it.
I use modem mode and have done since I got a superhhub years ago and reboot it once a day to stop the issued issued too bad

Soldato
Morning all.

So, thoughts on the following please.

We moved house yesterday and was on VM 200Mbps at the old place. The new one supported 350Mbps so we obviously upgraded because I wanted the extra UL and let’s be honest, bigger numbers rule.

We’re connected the same way we were at the old place. The stupid VM hub is in modem mode and our Netgear Nitghhawk is the router. However, even wired we’re *only* getting 270Mbps. The VM engineer reckoned it needs time to settle but to my knowledge that’s not how DOCSIS works. I’ll sort some stats out when I’m back home if someone can tell me what you guys need.

Cheers.

Associate
How often do you reboot/turn off your SH3? The routing issue is persistent so it get worse the longer the SH3 is powered up. Unfortunately modem mode is not a cure for the issue but it does fix some of it.
I use modem mode and have done since I got a superhhub years ago and reboot it once a day to stop the issued issued too bad

I do restart it often but issues can sometimes come and I get a few lag spikes in game, I think I am going to try a router. Anyone have any recommendations on a router under £80?

Soldato

You reboot your superhub everyday that's in modem mode?

I think I have rebooted my hub3 (modem mode) once since I got it in March, just to try and push an update for it.

I don't seem to have this issue with ping/ packet loss.

Im on firmware .608 which is supposed to fix a lot of issues.

Associate

I think I have rebooted my hub3 (modem mode) once since I got it in March, just to try and push an update for it.

Can I ask what router you use with your hub3? did a third party router help you overall in terms of ping/packet loss

Soldato

Yep everyday, its on a timer switch as I cannot get to the router its self, that firmware is the best one so far but it still has issues, they build up over time so daily reboot works fine for me.

Can I ask what router you use with your hub3? did a third party router help you overall in terms of ping/packet loss
I have a TP-Link (TL-WDR3600 v1) router running DD-WRT firmware also set to reboot once a week just to flush the caches.

Associate
Yep everyday, its on a timer switch as I cannot get to the router its self, that firmware is the best one so far but it still has issues, they build up over time so daily reboot works fine for me.

I have a TP-Link (TL-WDR3600 v1) router running DD-WRT firmware also set to reboot once a week just to flush the caches.

And would you say it improved your stability/connection, especially in terms of gaming?

Associate
Yeah for sure, no packet loss or jitter any more. My area is very good though not over subscribed so my 200Mb package i get 23mb/s download solidly all day every day.

OK I will have to try one, what do you think of the Netgear R6400 router? Wi-Fi is not a priority for me, only need it for my Phone,a laptop and Sky.

Soldato
OK I will have to try one, what do you think of the Netgear R6400 router? Wi-Fi is not a priority for me, only need it for my Phone,a laptop and Sky.

I've got the Netgear R6800 and my brother has the R6400. I've had mine for a couple of weeks and it's been brilliant. Highly recommended.

Soldato

I use an Asus AC86U on merlin firmware, I don't game online much, well saying that I do play a lot of BF1 multiplayer and I have never had any issues with online gaming, as for ping/packet loss, not that I'm aware of. My ping is fine, always low. As stated sometimes it depends on your area as well, if its over subscribed you may get problems, Im in an area that is ok.

Rebooting everyday seems extreme but if it fixes your issues, fair enough. From what I have read .608 firmware has fixed the issues people had with gaming, not been on the VM forums lately though.
I do feel that those with issues still on the latest firmware are likely mostly in an over subscribed area or its just the HUB 3 is not very good. I can't comment on the superhub performance as I have always used them in modem mode since the SH1.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use an Asus AC86U on merlin firmware, I don't game online much, well saying that I do play a lot of BF1 multiplayer and I have never had any issues with online gaming, as for ping/packet loss, not that I'm aware of. My ping is fine, always low. As stated sometimes it depends on your area as well, if its over subscribed you may get problems, Im in an area that is ok.

Rebooting everyday seems extreme but if it fixes your issues, fair enough. From what I have read .608 firmware has fixed the issues people had with gaming, not been on the VM forums lately though.
I do feel that those with issues still on the latest firmware are likely mostly in an over subscribed area or its just the HUB 3 is not very good. I can't comment on the superhub performance as I have always used them in modem mode since the SH1.
The main issues with the superhub is not the software but the CPU it's self. The firmware can only do so much to fix the problems. Even with the "fixed" firmware the CPU routing priority issue still persists.

Soldato
The main issues with the superhub is not the software but the CPU it's self. The firmware can only do so much to fix the problems. Even with the "fixed" firmware the CPU routing priority issue still persists.

Maybe in modem mode then the issue is clear, I see no difference in my online gaming than I did when I had the SH1, but as I said I have always used modem mode.

Soldato
Maybe in modem mode then the issue is clear, I see no difference in my online gaming than I did when I had the SH1, but as I said I have always used modem mode.
Modem mode drastically reduces the work load on the cpu there for not having such an impact, the issue is still there just less of it.

Back
Top Bottom