• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
No idea if i'm honest. Others have mentioned gamers nexus and yeah I like him a lot. Long haired geezer.

Other than that it's wait for benches and try to look at multiple sources to check the performance lines up.

Edit: He's actually just uploaded a video pretty much calling toms hardware out lol.

Watching it now. Amazing. So much respect for Steve. He is a really smart guy. And usually doesn't post videos like this. Nice to see a more human side of him.

Associate
I'm really curious to see how the 2070 compares to the 1080, similar price and clock speed. 2070 will have faster memory and the tensor and RT cores, but only 2304 CUDA cores compared to the 1080s 2560.

My guess is that they are going to be very close together :(

Associate
He's just not seeing it. There's no counterpoint to the 'don't buy' argument, because you SHOULDN'T... not yet anyway! There is simply no argument for pre-ordering given how little we know at present, short of perhaps being a content creator whose bottom line may depend on getting ray traced content out the door. The Tom's article is a complete farcical piece of journalism. To try and justify it is like saying there's a counter argument to not murdering someone!

Some people saved £200 pre ordering on day one on certain models. I don’t see why you wouldn’t have if you were keen anyway. Just cancel if Benchies are bad.

Soldato
Some people saved £200 pre ordering on day one on certain models. I don’t see why you wouldn’t have if you were keen anyway. Just cancel if Benchies are bad.
But if no one had pre-ordered the prices would have dropped already. Humans have become so needy for things that are near the top of Maslow's triangle. If people were a bit more chilled and didn't need to splash the cash more people would be able to enjoy.

Associate
Watching it now. Amazing. So much respect for Steve. He is a really smart guy. And usually doesn't post videos like this. Nice to see a more human side of him.

Agree i am glad Steve as brought this up .. TH have been on a down hill spiral for years ..they use to be a good tech site back in the day late 90's early 00 ..but now there a pure shill for nvidia sad really ..and its not satire or them being sarcastic ..disgusting words and people sheeple will fall for it ..sad times really...

Associate
But if no one had pre-ordered the prices would have dropped already. Humans have become so needy for things that are near the top of Maslow's triangle. If people were a bit more chilled and didn't need to splash the cash more people would be able to enjoy.

But the world doesn’t work like that, in any sector. I wouldn’t say to someone don’t pre-order on the one in a billion chance it might make it a bit cheaper for me. What would the price have come down to anyway with the £ as it is. A better pound and they would have been under a grand.

Man of Honour
Agree i am glad Steve as brought this up .. TH have been on a down hill spiral for years ..they use to be a good tech site back in the day late 90's early 00 ..but now there a pure shill for nvidia sad really ..and its not satire or them being sarcastic ..disgusting words and people sheeple will fall for it ..sad times really...

Yeah someone had to take them to task and tell them to get their act together. I don't really follow tech sites other than Gamer's Nexus lately as they generally have good insight but Toms was often a good resource back in the day.

Soldato
Agreed they have done it all wrong. Yes, Ray Tracing is a big deal and I think most people on tech forums would agree with that but as you say, it's just not ready.

The tech needs a decade still. When hardware ray tracing came out by AMD in 2013 alongside the Hawaii GPU, it was greatly ignored for gaming, because the hardware of that period (R9 290X & 780Ti) was incapable to deliver gaming experience. Fast forward 5 years to 2018, and we see why it didn't gain traction in the gaming, because even right now is too far away still. At least of another 10 years of performance gains before we have the grunt power to play 4K 60fps with 200rays per pixel.
And that 200 rays per pixel is significant, because is the amount of rays on the Nvidia cinematic videos.

True we can have 1 ray per pixel at 4K 60fps even Vega 64 and GTX1080Ti can do it (that is 4.88Gigarays), but not 200 rays per pixel because that would require 200Gigarays before noise fixing, and a total 2000Gigarays with that applies. Atm we need 200 RTX2080Tis to achieve that perf.

Of course there are sacrifices to be made right now. Metro Exodus should have ~8rays per pixel (plus the 10x on noise fixing), to render 1080p at 60fps.
So far way from the cinematic quality of 200rays per pixel.

Back
Top Bottom