Who here owns a Subaru?

Associate
Can anyone help, was replacing my steering pump as the old one was failing and while getting to the back bolt put a slight pressure onto the circled t-piece causing a bit of it to snap off. Does anyone know what this t-piece is for and where to get one?

7pMaLIv.jpg
GhJaPYK.jpg

Soldato
The clear hose looks like it connects to a sender for an electric boost gauge. Not a standard part so any T piece of the same size will work. Most motor factors or Halfords should have them if you need one ASAP.

Soldato
Yeah that's exactly the same as how i installed the Prosport boost gauge sender so it'll be aftermarket, if you can wait you'll be able to get a T piece from eBay for hardly anything, just measure the inside diameter of the hose and buy accordingly.

Soldato
Don't think I've asked this before but is it possible to read ABS codes on an 05 STi without expensive equipment? I have an odd fault where the ABS light will show after ~65mph but reset on next startup.

I've done a fair amount of searching and it seems that on pre widetrack cars, you can short a couple of pins on the diagnostic connector (not OBD2 port) under the dash. The 05 cars don't seem to support this and I think the codes can only be read by SSM or compatible code reader. I'm tempted by a Delphi DS-150 clone if anyone knows whether these are capable?

Soldato
SSM would defintely read it Kosta, but I don't have access to one and am too cheap to pay for a diagnostic session :D I still need to get the airbag recall done so could perhaps tie that in at the same time.

Although I don't mind dropping £60 or whatever it costs on a Delphi clone if it can read the codes as this is something I'll get a lot of use out of.

Soldato
I can't get Torque to connect using my ELM327 adapter, something to do with the adapter not supporting the SSM protocol. It works ok on my MG ZT so I know the adapter is funtional.

I usually use my laptop and FreeSSM/EcuExplorer to read ECU/TCU information but these don't show data from the ABS ECU.

Soldato
Mine's a UK :)

I have seen other people successfully using ELM327 adapters but didn't really look into it further once I started using FreeSSM. Can you remember which specific adapter you used as maybe it's worth trying another. I have only tried the free version of Torque though, perhaps it's worth buying Pro?

Soldato
So I'm joining the (old mans) Subaru club, I put a deposit down on this yesterday and I pick it up on Saturday (dealer pics):

2006 Legacy 3.0R Spec B in diamond grey :cool:

This week is already too long... :p

Soldato
Mine's a UK :)

I have seen other people successfully using ELM327 adapters but didn't really look into it further once I started using FreeSSM. Can you remember which specific adapter you used as maybe it's worth trying another. I have only tried the free version of Torque though, perhaps it's worth buying Pro?

It's a blue one i think :( i bought it years and years ago now, i am using the paid version of Torque if that makes a difference though. I'll see if i can find where it is tonight and take a picture of it.

Soldato
Mine has a blue/orage label and 5 status LEDs on the front of the adapter.

Been playing about today and can't get it to connect to the car no matter which app I use. As soon as I try it on the ZT, it connects entirely by auto detection so I think it's the adapter not supporting SSM. Apparently the VGate iCar2 is supposed to work perfectly with the Scoobs as this is one of the recommended adapters on the ActiveOBD for Subaru app. Still not sure whether I'll get ABS DTCs through an android app though...

Associate
After two and a half weeks (mainly weekends), it's now back on the road and (almost) ready for its winter duties.
YUJJO2K.jpg

Jobs done so far:

Rear adjustable trailing arms
Front drop links
Front ball joints
Front track rods (inner+outer)
New battery
Replacement rear drive shaft
New adjustable coilover
New wheels
New tyres
New pads front and rear
New discs front and rear
New wiper blades
New sidelights
New headlight bulbs
Rear fog light wired to offside reverse light
LED bulbs for:
Sidelights, Indicators, Stop and tail, Reverse, interior, rear number plate,
Rear drive shaft

Jobs on the horizon:

Front wheel bearing
Rear main oil seal
Oil and filter
Rocker cover gaskets
Spark plugs
Rear diff and transmission fluid change
Brake caliper bleed nipples change
Brake fluid change
Radiator (might leave old one on yet, depends on inspection)
Power steering fluid
Geometry setup

Jobs in the distant future:

Rear arches, Front wings, Sills.
Respray
(Have parts waiting but bodywork is last priority).

Last edited:
Associate
It's a MY93 WRX

Performance wise:
Front AP Racing 6pot calipers/355mm floating rotors.
Goodridge braided brake hoses
Sti front drop links.
Whiteline rear drop links.
Whiteline 24mm front ARB (IIRC)
Whiteline 22mm rear ARB (IIRC)
HSD Monopro coilover 4k springs front/Rear
Walbro fuel pump
550cc injectors
Ported & wrapped up-pipe
HKS downpipe (wrapped)
RCM Team ice centre section
RCM Team ice slash cut rear section
Fuel lab FPR
Apexi ECU
Apexi AVCR
Apexi Power commander
RCM induction trumpet with K&N large cone filter.
Front mount intercooler
AP Racing clutch
Lightened & balanced flywheel

Think that's about it. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hey all, what's the current thinking on decent shoes for Subarus? I have an MY02 Legacy GTB (JDM) with Bridgestone RE003's all round, with back two now needing replaced. I don't track it so any suggestions on what to go for?

Soldato
Hey all, what's the current thinking on decent shoes for Subarus? I have an MY02 Legacy GTB (JDM) with Bridgestone RE003's all round, with back two now needing replaced. I don't track it so any suggestions on what to go for?
Be careful on the tyre wear as you should really be replacing all 4, if there's a lot of difference in the wear the centre dif won't like it.

Had my first drive out in the new Spec B last night since the (wet) drive home after picking it up, my god Sport# mode is fun :D

43952708405_fa242e7552_c.jpg

IMG_20180923_143544 by Paul Sims - Flickr2BBcode LITE

I could almost see the fuel guage dropping as I was driving though, it likes a wee drinky!! :eek::p

I can see myself using the manual mode and paddles a fair bit as when you accelerate even in the sport (normal) mode it tends to shift down rather than using the torque of the engine.

Most impressive though it just how flat it handles, there's almost zero body roll, just perfect turn in and poise.

Back
Top Bottom