Stocking Filters?

Associate
Hi Guys,

Just looking to get some clarification on a common problem how ever odd solution.

I'm having major problems with dust in my old Coolmaster CM690 Case, I think I've found the problem which is the dust filters supplied are actually just fine mesh.

However I was just wandering if any one had tried using stocking material as the filters in pc case and if this worked for them?

This seems to be a big hit on the web and you tube.

Soldato
I've used it over power supply fans and on fans I leave in the open air before. Benefits: cheap, plentiful, you can get creative making stuff out of it. Downsides: a bit fiddly, and tricky to clean compared to solid filters. But you can always replace rather than clean. One pair of tights will give you many filters.

In terms of actual filtering I'd say they're quite good but relatively obstructive i.e. will reduce airflow.

Associate
OP
I've used it over power supply fans and on fans I leave in the open air before. Benefits: cheap, plentiful, you can get creative making stuff out of it. Downsides: a bit fiddly, and tricky to clean compared to solid filters. But you can always replace rather than clean. One pair of tights will give you many filters.

In terms of actual filtering I'd say they're quite good but relatively obstructive i.e. will reduce airflow.

Nice one I ended up sowing some tights into a mesh front and then found out id forgot to put the mesh filter for the power supply fan which was drawing the dust into the case.

But it does the job did you use one lay or 2 layers of stocking?

And I can confirm they are air flow restrictive.

Soldato
Nice one I ended up sowing some tights into a mesh front and then found out id forgot to put the mesh filter for the power supply fan which was drawing the dust into the case.

But it does the job did you use one lay or 2 layers of stocking?

And I can confirm they are air flow restrictive.
The PSU shouldn't be drawing air into the case really, surely it's pushing all the air it takes in straight back out?

I just used a single layer, I find stretching the fabric made it less restrictive. Ended up removing it after a year or so though.

Associate
It is used on motorbikes as air filters, so its fine for a pc aswell, I havent used them yet but tempted.
Should work well if you can fit it nicely and have it look clean/ well done.
good luck but should be fine

Back
Top Bottom