How quickly can a battery go bad?

Soldato
Car is an 03 honda CRV. Has had an intermittent fault with the ELD for a little while but no problems starting until now...
Had the rear brake pads changes Friday and mechanic said he had trouble getting it started when he went to move it after changing pads and now it needs a jump start and won't start again if left for about an hour without another jump.

Has the battery suddenly gone bad? Was fitted Feb 2011, Bosch s4

Soldato
It wouldn't be surprising for it to need replacing at that age.

If I suspect the battery I'll fully recharge it once. If it plays up again it gets replaced.

Soldato
OP
Would it literally go bad just like that overnight though?
Have just nabbed another battery and slapped it on, will see if it's dead in a few hours and hopefully that will tell me a bit more ..

Soldato
If you jump start a car with a flat battery the battery is still basically flat.

Unless you drive a long way to allow it to recharge, or stick a mains charger onto it, you shouldn't surprised that it fails again after sitting for a while.

They may have left something switched on (radio, lights, etc.) while they were working on the car which dragged the battery down.

Either replace the battery or fully recharge it and see how it goes.

It may be worth checking that the car is charging okay.

Do you have a volt meter?

Soldato
I fitted a new battery in Nov.
It rsndpmra went from a good battery down to a battery reading 8.1v... within 48hours.of being left off.

So yes. They can suddenly die

Soldato
and now it needs a jump start and won't start again if left for about an hour without another jump.
my s4 (earlier thread) from 2011 is still OK, but am keeping my eyes open deals ... carpart4less price match.

They may have left something switched on
This, yes, maybe garage contributed to problem ... did they replace any fuses ?

It rsndpmra went from a good battery down to a battery reading 8.1v.
google did not tell me what that is, but you were monitoring it very closely ? did a frost kill it.

Soldato
My wife's car went from starting up perfectly fine every single time to being totally dead the next morning on one particular day. I charged it up but even after fully charged it just died immediately on trying to start it up so that was definitely new battery time. However, that was during cold weather which is almost always going to finish off any battery that's on the edge - that battery was 6 years old too.

Soldato
Most decent manufacturers of will guarantee a battery for 4 years.

A knackered battery can discharge overnight depending on what's still actively drawing current & how busted the cells are.

I've just had to replace the battery in my 06 Mondeo. Surprisingly the battery I took out was the factory original.

Soldato
my s4 (earlier thread) from 2011 is still OK, but am keeping my eyes open deals ... carpart4less price match.

This, yes, maybe garage contributed to problem ... did they replace any fuses ?

google did not tell me what that is, but you were monitoring it very closely ? did a frost kill it.
I wrote randomly. My phone changed it... Wow.

Back
Top Bottom