4k 50" TV for games?.

Associate
I'm finally moving into my own place in 3 weeks and looking to get a decent TV for Netflix and gaming. I no consoles will look excellent on them like the Xbox one x and ps4 pro which I do have a Xbox 1 project Scorpio edition and a PC. Just wondered what a 50" 4k will look like gaming on a PC. What resolution does it use for PC is 4k or other and if using lowering like 1080 for PC will it look blurry. Thanks.

Planning on getting this LG 50UK6470PLC 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV £480 Only down side is it says motion rate 50hz. Will that effect gaming?.

Last edited:
Associate
Haven't PC gamed on it, but I had a 50" 4K and PS4 Pro, and 4k, 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 (MGSV on Pro uses this res for example) all looked great, couldn't notice any downscaling blurriness sat about 2 metres away.

PC will look the same as the consoles depending on GFX card power.

Mine was 60hz though, not sure about that TV, not many reviews knocking about, seems like you could get more for your money at that price range?

Associate
OP
Haven't PC gamed on it, but I had a 50" 4K and PS4 Pro, and 4k, 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 (MGSV on Pro uses this res for example) all looked great, couldn't notice any downscaling blurriness sat about 2 metres away.

PC will look the same as the consoles depending on GFX card power.

Mine was 60hz though, not sure about that TV, not many reviews knocking about, seems like you could get more for your money at that price range?

Been to a shop today and had a good look round and decided on SONY BRAVIA KD49XF7073SU 49" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV which is £599. Not ordered it yet but will be doing. Getting wall mount too where you can swing it round in any position.

Associate
OP
What hz will I get on desktop. It says its 400hz but that's true motion so what about games and desktop. Will it be 60hz. I tried asking this in the shop and they didn't no what I was on about. lol.

Soldato
What hz will I get on desktop. It says its 400hz but that's true motion so what about games and desktop. Will it be 60hz. I tried asking this in the shop and they didn't no what I was on about. lol.

God, don't ask in shops, they're complete numpties lol!! It's ridiculous that they don't understand this, but just goes to show how little technical knowledge they actually have. No, you will not get any more than 60Hz on a TV. Some of the newer Sony TV's do have 100hz native panels, but you're not getting that over HDMI at 4K.

Associate
OP
I had 100hz motion flow on my other Sony TV which I still got but dont use as its only 1080p so might as well use my monitor. I thought the motion flow looked rubbish as it didn't look like things where there. Take horse racing the horses looked superimposed on to the image. Is true motion same or similar to motion flow?.

Associate
Most people (art least who enjoy film) find any kind of interpolation (that's what these 'motion' things do) horrible. I mean it does what it says on the tin, but I can't stand the effect, it makes everything look like a soap opera.

Soldato
God, don't ask in shops, they're complete numpties lol!! It's ridiculous that they don't understand this, but just goes to show how little technical knowledge they actually have. No, you will not get any more than 60Hz on a TV. Some of the newer Sony TV's do have 100hz native panels, but you're not getting that over HDMI at 4K.

Quite a few TVs support 1080P 120Hz now :)

Soldato
Quite a few TVs support 1080P 120Hz now :)

At 1080p yes, but only if it has HDMI 2.0. HDMI 1.4 won't cut it. Same goes with GPU... must be HDMI 2.0.

At big TV size though, 1080p isn't ideal... unless you're far enough away, I'd say 2m at least. OP will have to decide if that's adequate as it's largely a subjective thing.

Soldato
At 1080p yes, but only if it has HDMI 2.0. HDMI 1.4 won't cut it. Same goes with GPU... must be HDMI 2.0.

At big TV size though, 1080p isn't ideal... unless you're far enough away, I'd say 2m at least. OP will have to decide if that's adequate as it's largely a subjective thing.

Gaming, to me, looks much better at 1080P 120Hz compared to 4K 60Hz, if only because of reduced motion blur.

Soldato
Gaming, to me, looks much better at 1080P 120Hz compared to 4K 60Hz, if only because of reduced motion blur.

I would tend to agree, and also better FPS of course... you just need to be sat that bit further away if on a big 1080p TV. And providing you are using HDMI 2.0 on both TV and GPU, it's all good. What TV are you using, or are you just referring to monitor use?

Soldato
I would tend to agree, and also better FPS of course... you just need to be sat that bit further away if on a big 1080p TV. And providing you are using HDMI 2.0 on both TV and GPU, it's all good. What TV are you using, or are you just referring to monitor use?

Sony XE85 - fab TV. Bought it because of the 1080P 120Hz functionality (which the Xbox One X is getting support for as well I think)

Soldato
I'm finally moving into my own place in 3 weeks and looking to get a decent TV for Netflix and gaming. I no consoles will look excellent on them like the Xbox one x and ps4 pro which I do have a Xbox 1 project Scorpio edition and a PC. Just wondered what a 50" 4k will look like gaming on a PC. What resolution does it use for PC is 4k or other and if using lowering like 1080 for PC will it look blurry. Thanks.

Planning on getting this LG 50UK6470PLC 50" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV £480 Only down side is it says motion rate 50hz. Will that effect gaming?.

Depends your budget, if you want Freesync for Xbox & PC, Samsung 55NU8000.
(the 49" doesnt support FS)

Also there is the cheaper 55 Q6F with freesync i believe. (check latest firmware). Which is £800 or less.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks all. I decided on the SONY BRAVIA KD49XF7073SU 49" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR LED TV. Not ordered yet as that is last thing to order. Ive only 2 weeks tomorrow and I get the keys for apartment. Need to set the bed room up though and buy a computer desk and chair etc and even set internet up. Ive also had oculus for 8 months and not used it much and cant wait to use it proper as ive had no room in my bed room where I am now. Like I said I use to have a sony 32" 1080 TV and still got it but the colours are off. I get a purple Hugh in black areas and looks rubbish so think its broken. For last 5 years or so ive had 27" monitors and 2 in that time so it be nice to see what a TV gaming be like again.

Associate
OP
Depends your budget, if you want Freesync for Xbox & PC, Samsung 55NU8000.
(the 49" doesnt support FS)

Also there is the cheaper 55 Q6F with freesync i believe. (check latest firmware). Which is £800 or less.

I have a nvidia card any way and mainly playing games on PC then xbox.

Back
Top Bottom