bookshelf speakers recommendation - budget 200-300?

Associate
Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on either a 2.0 or a 2.1 bookshelf set of speakers, with or without separate amp. Would be a real bonus if it could mix 2 sources as I have 2 PCs in the room.

Speakers would have to be able to be wall mounted with a bracket.

Budget around 200-300. Any recommendations?

Soldato
Since you want multiple inputs look into a stereo integrated amplifier or a home cinema amplifier.

As for speaker brands there dozens different sound signature.

You are pushing it for amp and speakers for your budget I'd be looking into second hand.

Associate
OP
I do have the option to user a small mixer (which I have) to mix the inputs. Currently considering a couple of Q Acoustics 3020 or the Wharfedale Diamond 220 with a Pioneer A-10 AMP.

Main usage is just for some light gaming from the PCs, not an audiophile here by any stretches :)

Soldato
Spend as much on speaker now as you can buy a cheap t amp the later upgrade amp. If you buy second hand can get a bargain I bought celestion A1 for £150. When they were new they retailed for £1000

Soldato
Richer Sounds have the 3020 for £100, but they are in-store purchase only. Bargain for £100 and I really can't see the newer i of the 3020 version being worth £150 more.

You might know this already, but just in case; you do need an amp for them.

You'd be surprised how many people think passive speakers can work straight off a sound card. :p

Associate
The Qs are great. Also look out for Dali Zensor 3 (think they've a new range out now, so whichever the parallel 300 pound model is) or even the smaller model. Great impact and scale for their size.

Secondhand, look out for a pair of Mission 751- NOT the Freedom version though, they are very closed-in at the top end. If they've got a round, soft-dome tweeter, they're not the ones you want. The metal dome versions are the daddies... I use a pair on my PC setup and they are so good. My Zensor 3s and Qs have both taking a back seat to them. You should get a good pair for about 100 so leave some cash for the amplifier...

Soldato
Richer Sounds have the 3020 for £100, but they are in-store purchase only. Bargain for £100 and I really can't see the newer i of the 3020 version being worth £150 more.

You might know this already, but just in case; you do need an amp for them.

You'd be surprised how many people think passive speakers can work straight off a sound card. :p

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Went to the Richard Sounds website and seen an offer for £289...

Onkyo A9010 (Black) and Q Acoustics Q3020 (Graphite)

Not knowing much about amps I can only go by the What Hifi review which looks positive.

Any help is appreciated

Soldato
The Onkyo looks like a pretty good choice. Lots of good user reviews.

I think the Yamaha AS301 is a better choice, but it's only available in silver and like the 3020 speakers, it's in-store only purchase. Also, it is taller than the Onkyo, so I don't know if you'd prefer something not so tall and in black. It has got a built in DAC though, so as long as you have optical out on your motherboard, then no need to use the onboard audio or bother with a sound card, or a separate DAC for that matter.

Whatever you do; if you do go for something that is only available in-store, make sure they have it in stock at your nearest store before you go. In-store purchases are not always available at every store, but they might be able to get them delivered to your nearest store if you give them a call.

If your nearest store doesn't have the 3020's or can't get in for you, then there are other good options; such as the 2020i, which can be bought direct from Q Acoustics website for £90. They are still a great choice. Some guy posted in the hifi section said that he went to Richer Sounds to listen to the 3050 floor standing speakers, but decided to stick with his 2020i's as he preferred their sound. Goes to show, that a new more expensive range is not always an improvement that can justify the greater cost over the previous range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom