Mobo doesn't see M2 drive

Soldato
I'm building a completely new PC and the mobo doesn't see the M2 drive in either of its on-board slots The mobo is an Asus ROG Strix H370-I Gaming and it's up and running with an i5-8600T and 2 x 8GB of Corsair Vengeance 2400 LDX. The M2 is a Samsung PM981 256GB which I believe is the OEM version of the 960 Evo. (I'm sure I ordered a 960 Evo but that's not what's on the order.) I've tried the M2 in both top and bottom slots of the mobo but it just isn't seen as being there at all. The M2 gets warm when the mobo is running so it's obviously drawing power.

Unfortunately I don't have another M2 to test the mobo or suitable mobo to test the M2 as this is my first-up-to-date build for a few years. Oh, I have updated the mobo BIOS.

So is there something I don't know about M2 SSDs that I need to do to get it recognised or have I got a duff one?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not an available option. There are loads of PCH options I don't understand but nothing that looks useful under PCH Storage. I switched it from OPTANE/RAID to AHCI but it still reports M.2_1 as empty.

Associate
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not an available option. There are loads of PCH options I don't understand but nothing that looks useful under PCH Storage. I switched it from OPTANE/RAID to AHCI but it still reports M.2_1 as empty.

Can you see an option for CSM (Compatibility Support Module) anywhere? Try settings this to disabled if you can :)

Soldato
OP
I had to pack everything away for a bit as Mrs S demanded the dining room table back. ;)
I'll check for a CSM option when I can get back to the table. I'm sourcing another, different M.2 drive to pin things down and it should arrive on Friday.
I didn't have another other drives attached initially but tried an external SSD just to check that it was recognised.

Soldato
OP
Just to complete the story, the drive wasn't DOA. It turns out that NVMe drives aren't seen by the BIOS, possibly until they have a partition with a boot sector written to them, but W10 has a built-in NVMe driver so can install and run from one. In my case, even after installing W10, it's not seen by the BIOS but is in the Windows Boot Manager list! There's a very useful article at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3506030/nvme-drive-bootable.html which got me going and, as Delta 3D suggested, disabling CSM is the start of the process. If anyone knows better, I'd love to hear about it.

Back
Top Bottom