Rugby union?

Soldato
The problem is that club rugby doesn't have the worldwide appeal of club football, there's just not the numbers to bring in big TV revenues. Even in the UK rugby attendances are pretty dire.

Harlequins (last season aside), a decent team located smack in the heart of wealthy West London, can't fill our ~14k stadium regularly....The odd game at Twickenham pulls in quite a few people, but the atmosphere is absolutely dreadful for those games.

Internationals is where the money is...even starting at 75 quid a pop Twickenham sells out, probably would at double that.

Soldato
OP
There seems to be a gap between people following the international games, and then not dropping into the club sides, even as television viewership, not even tickets etc. I know I used to watch internationals only, then started getting the itch to watch more, but there was very little marketing to try and push that. I guess it's where there's a separation between union and clubs.

Associate
I think also a problem is that rugby is harder to understand than football. I grew up playing football and only got into rugby when I moved here to the UK 12 years ago. It took a while before I got to understand all the small stuff in the game. Football is a lot easier to understand which I think is a big reason to why it is so popular. But yes, I think rugby could do a lot better at marking themselves for the club matches.

Soldato
OP
Definitely, it's complicated, and even when you know the major rules, there's a ton of intricacies, then on top of that there's players pushing laws and being cheeky. It's why I love it, love seeing a player being clever (and even better if a team counters it "live").

Went to my first training session tonight. I ache, my shoulder, neck and back are all sore. Ended up training with the forwards (was asked "Do I like to run?" after giving the only sensible answer, I was given to the forwards).

Associate
Haha, I know that feeling. After my first ever rugby training it took me 3 hours to recover enough to be able to walk up the stairs to my room :D After the last game I played I struggled to walk properly for about 3-4 days lol. The problem I have is that I miss most trainings due to work. Our trainings start at 7.30pm, but my dayshifts finishes at 8.30pm and a night shift starts 8pm. And I mostly do night shifts.
I was put in forwards as I'm fairly big (6'1 and about 105kg) so I've mostly been flanking or being second row. I do wish I had a work that made me able to go training regularly.

Soldato
OP
I work from home, so making training shouldn't be a problem fortunately. I'm 5'10" (when I'm being generous to myself) and 93kg (though I don't look it, big arse and thighs). I'm hoping they don't put me at hooker, but since one of the first questions in the forwards training was if I minded being lifted, I think I can avoid it.

To be honest, with my fitness levels as they are, I think I'll be safely off the pitch for now!

Associate
Last game I played I was second row, but the game before that we lacked backs so I was put first as a full back and then on the wing. Not sure if I did anything during the game except feeling lost over where I was supposed to be on the pitch and what to do :D As a second row and flanker it's quite simple. Try to tackle whoever got the ball in the opponent team.

Soldato
I hit 6'2" when was 15 or so, so got put in the second row, never played anywhere else...even though I'm a beanpole.

When I was playing in Hong Kong, the social team standards were crazy high, several ex-pros in our squad, including some internationals. Think they liked lifting me in the lineout :D

Turned my ridiculous gangly limbs to climbing now, which is a much better fit for my body shape. The only irony is that I've really got into climbing, 10-12 hours a week, and I've ended up pretty ripped, way stronger than I ever was on a rugby pitch! Would be fun to go play a game again and smash some fools :)

Anyway, rugby season starts tonihht, hallelujah!

Soldato
OP
I'm a good shape for rugby, just short (and, well, getting older now, and the belly...)! The pains have mostly turned to muscle aches now, though the regular knotted muscle in my back has stayed tight. Hoping it loosens up rather than tightens more now though.

Not sure how much time I'm going to have to watch the rugby tonight! Or the weekend, still need to get into routine.

Soldato
Watching the opening game. First try of the premiership season, Homer gets a walk-in....and drops it...lollers.

This Bristol side look quite handy..

Soldato
OP
How many seasons now has the promoted team won their opening game? Got to be a few seasons in a row now. If they keep doing it I'll start to situp and watch. We also don't know what's with Bath this season either.

That front row from Wasps is potentially goign to be very impressive, if they don't get beaten up. 2 seasons ago Harris was Falcons 4th? choice, Cruse was in the championship and Stuart was playing in the u20s world cup I believe.

Soldato
OP
So my sproglet had his first training day today, tiny compared to the others, as expected, but he's a speedy little fella, and he definitely showed his pace in a few of the training games they played. It's fun watching your child! Just got to not be that parent who's yelling at the coaches/refs etc.

Soldato
I play rugby but I do find it hard being one for the worst naturally gifted athletes ever. :p I'm 5'11, 14 and a bit stone but have no speed so play in the forwards. I'm not able to smash anyone in defence or attack so my game involves being fit and as many places as possible. James Davies being a pro flanker does give me a bit of hope though.

Soldato
Someone asked about rugby in Germany, well there must be a league because my club toured there a few years ago and we played Cologne.

I've played over 25 seasons and at 42 still looking to play if I can make the time this season.

Don't really have a club I support but I always favoured Leicester as Midlander.

English club rugby is in a right pickle at the moment, spaffing away huge sums on overseas players and making a loss despite RFU funding for home grown players a walloping great TV deal and increasingly healthy crowds. Next the fools will be selling half the premiership to venture capitalists for a windfall and that will signal the end for the game in England.

Back
Top Bottom