The Golf Club

Underboss
£45 is a joke. Have over 700h in TGC and TGC2 and both were around £20 at release.

Not paying that price for TGC 2.5, and it's easy to shoot 57-59 in hard rounds. Plus HB Studios is about as inept as they come.

Soldato
Right i've played a few rounds... Ok so its still early days... I dont think its so much in a way easier as its more predictable, you have so much information about your swing thats its so easy to fix what you are doing wrong, dont get me wrong when you start heavily modifying your shots its easy to stray outwith the line and send it in to the rough. Plays a lot smoother than TGC2 for me fully cracked up. Game feels a lot more polished and less "Indie". But other than that its pretty much more of the same then slightly tweeked.

So... Is it worth £45??? I dunno, its early days yet, will I get enjoyment and use out of the game to justify the price? yeah more than likely. Would I recommend others spend that? probably not, not unless you really want to play it an know you will get your monies worth. I think if pressed hard I would suggest waiting for prices to drop closer to the price of the originals, I'd feel a lot more comfortable about my purchase had it been £20-£25, dont get me worng I dont have buyers remorse or anything, but I just feel £45 is a bit steep for what you are getting over TGC2.

All in all, I think too much emphasis has been put on the official endorsement from PGA without sufficient change/additional features to make it an instabuy for owners of TGC2. Wait out for a sale!

Associate
It's not easy to shoot 57-59. I've clocked up over 350 hours in TGC1 and TGC2 and my best score in TGC2019 so far is a 67, I'm also only using the middle difficulty club set.

It's not hugely different from TGC2 but it's definitely more polished. The lighting is much better, washed out colours much better, flickery 'shimmering' now fixed. No more buggy chip shots. I can easily see me getting 200 hours of gameplay out of this so no problems at all paying £45.

Associate
I've already put 8 hours into this and the career mode is quite an improvement on the old one, but one bugbear remains and that is leaderboards. I was playing two rounds and after completing round one, the leader was on a score of -3. On round 2, after a couple of holes I see a player on top of the leaderboard with a score of -6, yet only -1 for the day on their current round. This means the AI player must have had a score of -5 for the first round. So when I view the leaderboard after completing round 1, there are still AI players yet to finish (not great if that is the case) or worse still the AI scores from round 1 are changing when you start round 2! This definitely spoils the enjoyment more than a bit. Hope HB are responsive and put out a fix soon.

Soldato
Caved and bought it - (sold £50 of CSGO skins) - plays well......tough learning curve having not played any of the previous games but very rewarding when you hit a good shot.

Putting is difficult to judge at the moment - need some work on that.

Soldato
i'm enjoying the extra challenge this year, got a few vids going up.

Even though the gameplay is pretty solid, I wouldn't recommend a buy for the £45 price tag. There's very little content here, essentially a career and a pga license included but no real names and characters in the game. Not worth 20 extra pounds compared to recent games.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I just bought TGC2 in the Steam Sale. Overall enjoying it though, as suspected, the mouse control is tricky. Doing okay(ish) on strokes and approach but putting is a nightmare. Virtually impossible to control your strength so either end up dribbling it about 6 inches or overshooting back onto the green! Is it easier using the joypad, perhaps.

Also, in TGC2 which is the easiest course for beginner level?

Back
Top Bottom