Convection microwaves

Soldato
Current microwave gave up this morning....

I've got a combined oven/grill just now....I don't really cook much but sometimes it'd be useful to have a seperate oven and grill

I'm not sure what the different kinds of microwaves can do....are microwave grills and convection microwaves different? Can they be compared to ovens and grills or is it just completely different?

The grill part of my combo oven/grill is thermostat controlled and pretty tedious to use, the oven is fine....so ideally I'd like a microwave that can function like a normal grill for doing basic things like bacon..roasted cheese etc

Soldato
Disclaimer: I know what I'm about to say doesn't answer your question.

THe best thing I did was get rid of our microwave. When you reheat food in microwave it tastes terrible anyway. Instead, to reheat food we stick it in the oven, or in a pan on our gas hob. Getting rid of the microwave also freed up a lot of space.

If you need a new microwave see how you get on with not having one in the first place - you'd be suprised how easy it is to use your hob/oven for better results. The cons are it literally takes 5 mins extra to warm things up compared to a microwave.

Associate
Disclaimer: I know what I'm about to say doesn't answer your question.

THe best thing I did was get rid of our microwave. When you reheat food in microwave it tastes terrible anyway. Instead, to reheat food we stick it in the oven, or in a pan on our gas hob. Getting rid of the microwave also freed up a lot of space.

If you need a new microwave see how you get on with not having one in the first place - you'd be suprised how easy it is to use your hob/oven for better results. The cons are it literally takes 5 mins extra to warm things up compared to a microwave.

This. We ditched the zapper when our kitchen was fitted.

Soldato
Just get a decent microwave. We have a Panasonic flat bed inverter one.
You would be hard pushed to tell the difference between that and the stand alone oven.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Soldato
I used to have a Panasonic flat bed invertor, was good but when it broke - I had issues with the door cracking in the bottom right corner my mum had the same issue so clearly a weak point. I "upgraded" to the following:

Sharp R959SLMAA Combination Microwave, 40 Litre, 900 Watt, Silver https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E7RWIDO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_pLVHBbM1PSHR1

It's an absolute beast of a thing! In size and features, it even has trays that slide in when you're using the oven.

Microwaves have their uses, especially with babies. I use it as an oven a lot as I only have a single main oven.

Mines tucked away in the utility, despite its size!

Soldato
Agree the panasonics are good, have two relations with them, both on their 2nd (~10 year life) , but neither uses the grill's these seem underpowered and don't have a proper grill pan,
not sure they could dissipate the heat of a real grill ?

When you reheat food in microwave it tastes terrible anyway.
yes, better to steam stuff to reheat, nuke'ing was the correct derogitory verb ?

But, out of scope for OP, combo microwave is good/excels for other tasks - baked potatoes, porridge, jam, christmas/sponge puddings

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I've got a decent Panasonic combi and use the oven and grill in it loads. The combi convection oven makes things like chips and roast potatoes in half the time and taste amazing (fluffy and crispy) - not that good with sausages or fish fingers though. The grill is good but definitely takes longer than a usual grill.

Soldato
OP
so....still haven't replaced the microwave

are the flatbed inverters better performing than ones with turntables? or just easier to clean? I was looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y5BKWP4/ref=dp_cerb_1

my ###### oven packed in last night too so cooking options are a bit limited atm!

thinking a mini oven would be god for grilling or mayber replace the oven if a new element doesn't fix it

Soldato
so....still haven't replaced the microwave

are the flatbed inverters better performing than ones with turntables? or just easier to clean? I was looking at this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y5BKWP4/ref=dp_cerb_1

my ###### oven packed in last night too so cooking options are a bit limited atm!

thinking a mini oven would be god for grilling or mayber replace the oven if a new element doesn't fix it
Yes easier to clean, and you get more in as you can fill it and don't have to allow for it turning round.

Soldato
not convinced - if it does not have a turntable ;

have only ever had turntables, and how do the microwaves get distributed as uniformly wiithout it ?
you need the invertor nonetheless, which many panasonics have, for the variable power levels it provides.
The turntable versions are typically more expensive , the fan for convection/internal-cooling also makes a noise .

I want my baked potatoe uniformly cooked, and we typically turn them over, move them, half way through even with a turntable.

[corollary - how can the built in one w/o a turntable be as good ?]

Soldato
Absolutely love our neff built in combination microwave and oven (apart from the magnetron breaking and needing replacement). The grill is good enough to do crackling in and we’ve baked in it before. Having two ovens is great for roast dinners.

Soldato
not convinced - if it does not have a turntable ;

have only ever had turntables, and how do the microwaves get distributed as uniformly wiithout it ?
you need the invertor nonetheless, which many panasonics have, for the variable power levels it provides.
The turntable versions are typically more expensive , the fan for convection/internal-cooling also makes a noise .

I want my baked potatoe uniformly cooked, and we typically turn them over, move them, half way through even with a turntable.

[corollary - how can the built in one w/o a turntable be as good ?]

Our flat bed does baked potatoes perfectly without touching them. Just press the baked potato mode and off it goes.
I think the magnetron or what every it is moves instead of the food.

Back
Top Bottom