Poll: Italian Grand Prix 2018, Monza - Race 14/21

Rate the 2018 Italian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Man of Honour
jckp9cW.png

Monza

Monza is regarded by many as the embodiment of Formula One racing.

Not only is it a fantastic example of a track that combines speed with skill, it also has a heart and soul all of its own. It has seen some of the finest races of all time, but also some of the sport's worst accidents. The names of great drivers and the sounds of engines from years gone by linger in the grand old trees surrounding the track in the royal park.

Work began on the circuit in 1922 and was completed in under six months. After Brooklands in the UK and Indianapolis in the USA, it was the third permanent race track in existence. With a banked oval incorporated into the design of the road racing circuit, the total track length stood at a whopping 10 kilometres.

Formula One racing visited the circuit as part of the inaugural season in 1950, and it has remained a permanent fixture on the calendar ever since.

Over that time, Monza has borne witness to an incredible list of historic moments, famous victories and horrifying crashes. All combine to make it one of the most magical places on the Formula One calendar. For many there is nowhere that encapsulates the sport better than this circuit. The Italians call it 'La Pista Magica', the magic track, a description few would disagree with.

TV Times

Sky:

OzP7bNT.png

C4:

xoSujtV.png

Track Diagram & Information

5yKqScm.png

Weather Forecast

IoHzxqQ.png

2017 Onboard Lap

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2018/3/2017_Italy_pole_lap.html

2017 Race Edit

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2017/9/Director's_Cut__Italy_2017.html

Italy Preview Quotes

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...w-quotes--the-teams-and-drivers-on-monza.html

WDC Standings

TYBU4Kc.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

dw946aS.png

Practice 1

aaqgGBY.png

Practice 2

2Wv8Zif.png

Practice 3

Zkp19ZO.png

Qualifying

nrigG6m.png

Race

8rKfN23.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't say 1-2 but I think Vettel will get the win with Kimi top 4.

It's funny/tragic that Force India lost all of their championship points at the last race and they already have more points than Williams.

Soldato
mercedes have won the last 4 races here.

Ferrari had the faster car at Spa but this is ultra low downforce. It might not be a cake walk for Ferrari.

Soldato
The whole engine thing is pretty intriguing. Mercedes looked a fair bit quicker than Ferrari along most of the straights and every time I looked were continuously beating them in the speed-traps at the top of Raidillon, meaning Ferrari's advantage out of the corners had already diminished.

It's something Horner has mentioned a few times - it's not the outright power of the Mercedes that's impressive, it's the mid-range power - they scrub off less speed going through a quick corner than their competitors. You could see that at both Raidillon (speed trap) and Blancimont (onboard speeds). Pouhen likely would have been the same.

Vettel managed to slip-stream Hamilton through Raidillon and got a great run, but once past him Hamilton was equal and threatening to come back, so either Ferrari had more drag/downforce or the Ferrari doesn't have the top end of the Mercedes.

How that transpires at Monza will be interesting. Ferrari's strength out of the corner is impressive of course, and that will help to a degree all along the rest of the straight, but they can't use that for long onto every long straight at Monza - Mercedes could have an advantage from 1/3 of the way along each straight. If the Spa analysis is correct then I think Monza will be much closer than many people are expecting.

Put simply I think Mercedes are just grumpy that they don't have a massive engine advantage anymore. They've had it easy for four years and now with Ferrari power (and potentially Honda in the Red Bull next year) they've got their hands full and don't like it. From the outside given all their grumpy noises it appears it's not a challenge they are relishing. They can still win this year as there's plenty of tracks that should suit them more than Ferrari (if Mercedes are still better mid-corner then Sochi, Suzuka, Austin and maybe Mexico will all play into their hands and should let them keep their championship lead).

Ferrari are strong, but I'm not sure there are enough Ferrari tracks left for them to overhaul Mercedes, providing there aren't any reliability issues (and look at how last year finished!). There are unknowns such as Singapore, where Red Bull could win or easily have two cars between any of the top four, making for quite a big swing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ferrari are strong, but I'm not sure there are enough Ferrari tracks left for them to overhaul Mercedes, providing there aren't any reliability issues (and look at how last year finished!). There are unknowns such as Singapore, where Red Bull could win or easily have two cars between any of the top four, making for quite a big swing.

Ferrari are only 15 points behind!

Associate
Really can't see anything other than a Ferrari 1-2 here. It's flat out almost all the way and Ferrari are leaps infront in that department it seems.

I am not sure you are right. Have a look at F1i.com and at the Spa intermediate 1 speed trap figures which I guess are recorded just before Les Combes. They show the Ferrari edging out the Merc by 1 Kph. But I seem to recall Merc were running more downforce to be strong in sector 2. Monza has always been a strong track for Merc so I would not call it just yet. Plus it looks like rain on Saturday and we all know rain is Seb's kryptonite ;).

Last edited:
Permabanned
y noises it appears it's not a challenge they are relishing. They can still win this year as there's plenty of tracks that should suit them more than Ferrari (if Mercedes are still better mid-corner then Sochi, Suzuka, Austin and maybe Mexico will all play into their hands and should let them keep their championship lead).

No way.. These will be Ferrari circuits. :D

Man of Honour
Looks pretty wet today. Gp3 free practice was cancelled.

With the limited supply of wet weather tyres, I'd be surprised if there is much running today.

Caporegime
Looks pretty wet today. Gp3 free practice was cancelled.

With the limited supply of wet weather tyres, I'd be surprised if there is much running today.
Especially as Sunday is supposed to be dry. In situations like this they should give more sets of wets and intermediates and ask the teams to send the cars out. It doesn't even need to be race speed laps but the fans have paid to see the cars.

Soldato
Seeing F1 cars live in the wet is a pretty cool experience. I've been lucky enough to see them twice - in Istanbul and in Jerez. The rooster tails and sheer volume of water they kick up at pace is really something.

Back
Top Bottom