New essential Android apps thread

Caporegime
Can someone please stop me from tearing my hair out? I experience this problem every time with a new phone and there is never a definitive solution. I want to give third party apps access to the SD card but the app/part where you do isn't showing the internal or external storage.

Funnily enough when I uploaded thag screenshot, that same app/viewer showed a lot more options within internal storage but not the SD card.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend an app for viewing media over a network?

I've got Plex for my movies etc but want something separate for family photos and videos!

I'll be streaming them from a media server on my unraid server and would like a graphical interface with thumbnails rather than just a list!

I've tried VLC but it's not great for photos and even the videos don't let me skip forward for some reason??

Soldato
Can someone please stop me from tearing my hair out? I experience this problem every time with a new phone and there is never a definitive solution. I want to give third party apps access to the SD card but the app/part where you do isn't showing the internal or external storage.

Funnily enough when I uploaded thag screenshot, that same app/viewer showed a lot more options within internal storage but not the SD card.

I had this issue with my old phone - it didn't like exFAT formatted cards so I had to format as FAT32. I had to use a card reader with Windows because even the phone itself formatted as exFAT.

Soldato

Where it says recent there is a drop down (modify) change that and you should be able to access the root of the sdcard. Format of the car shouldn't matter between exfat and fat32

Soldato
Where it says recent there is a drop down (modify) change that and you should be able to access the root of the sdcard. Format of the car shouldn't matter between exfat and fat32

The format did matter for me... I posted about my problem in this very thread. I even have screenshots.... :p

Before/after formatting as FAT32...

wZZoN0Fl.png.jpg

aLPWknml.png.jpg

edit: just to be clear, the phone had no problems reading from the exFAT formatted card. It was only when I wanted to give Solid Explorer permission to delete files that I had the problem where I was unable to select it using the "browser" above which appears to be be part of Android. And this was my old phone. My current phone has no issue with exFAT formatted cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else use Filmic Pro??

It's not cheap at £11, but gives you 'dslr results' using their phone (Android & IOS). It gives you options for changing everything on the camera with focus, exposure (locking both, and other settings), and having 100mbps 4k video output - more than the standard camera app.

Using the Osmo Mobile 2, Im still trying to get to grips with it but so far it seems a very powerful app. People who know photography will probably love this.

This will give you a run down of the app

Soldato
I need a good ad blocker for Android, getting adverts on YouTube every few minutes, ad block still #1?

If you mean the YouTube app then it's a bit more tricky. If you're rooted, Adaway is still a good option. If you're not rooted then Blockoda or DNS66 should work.

Alternatively, use an alternative YouTube app such as either NewPipe or YouTube Vanced.

Anyone know how to stop this from happening.

I have my Bluetooth headset connected.

I go into my van and my phone now also connects to the Bluetooth stereo, and although the headset it still connected, audio and music play out the stereo.

I park up leave the van so the stereo disconnects, but now my headset doesn't get anything back. Music audio, phone calls don't go to the headset, with the only solution being to reconnect the headset.

How do I stop this madness?

Back
Top Bottom