• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
So if the 2080 is the true successor to the 1080ti (since the Titan cards are no more and prices also reflect this), will review sites be comparing those cards? I’m betting not and every Nvidia shill will compare the 1080ti to the 2080ti (Titan) and be “amazed” at the improvement.

Associate
The point Usersonic is making is likely correct. The Titan no longer exists because of the separation of the professional GPU/Gamer GPU designs. Also, the new Turing die is huge, which additionally would add to the pricing. I am tempted to go all out on a 2080TI and as I will be heading to the US in three weeks I may be able to pick one up over there for a slight reduction in the price.

Caporegime
So if the 2080 is the true successor to the 1080ti (since the Titan cards are no more and prices also reflect this), will review sites be comparing those cards? I’m betting not and every Nvidia shill will compare the 1080ti to the 2080ti (Titan) and be “amazed” at the improvement.
You lost me when you said NVidia shill :(

Soldato
So if the 2080 is the true successor to the 1080ti (since the Titan cards are no more and prices also reflect this), will review sites be comparing those cards?
I believe I am correct in saying JayzTwoCents plans to do it that way, as he was one of the first to point out the shift in tier numbering, not sure about others though.

Associate
We will get performance numbers for all cards - whichever you want to compare it to is up to you really. Generally price brackets will be used to compare rather than model numbers, which are arbitrary anyhow.

Associate

And you sir, just stumbled on the reason nVidia shifted their model names upwards. They want reviewers to compare a higher-tiered new card to a lower-tiered older card.

Soldato
And you sir, just stumbled on the reason nVidia shifted their model names upwards. They want reviewers to compare a higher-tiered new card to a lower-tiered older card.
I'm considering the new Ti vs the old TXp personally, as it's a similar price. On price, which many do consider, comparing vs the lower last gen cards does not work well at all. If you have say £700 to spend it makes sense to look at the 2080 vs the 1080 Ti and compare price/performance old games and of course forthcoming games while also considering other new features the new cards brign to the table. Hopefully many reviewers will include a range of cards.

Problem with reviews is that they're flawed too but only real thing people can use to decide. Most probably rush the process to get some numbers out quickly.

How long would it really take to do a thorough review of all the new cards? I'd say easily four weeks if not longer when you consider documenting it all. i'll be just as interested in actual user experiences.

Last edited:
Soldato

In theory the 2080 is the successor to the 1080 and 1080Ti-2080Ti

Look guys some fans spinning on the GTX 2080ti :eek::D;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qJS5EEVGCQ

That is absolutely horrific. Bit of sick almost come up when I saw those cases.

Soldato
If you have say £700 to spend it makes sense to look at the 2080 vs the 1080 Ti and compare price/performance old games and of course forthcoming games while also considering other new features the new cards bring to the table.

^ This, because the 10 series days are numbered. Always look towards newer tech if it's similarly priced.

Caporegime
Just to put in context. Days numbered in terms of buying new but will still be capable gaming card for years yet for existing owners. Hell my gtx 980 is still in the top half of gaming pc GPUs according to steam
Agreed. Whilst new tech comes out, the 10XX has a lot of time before it becomes useless. I only upgraded my 1080 to a 1080Ti because of going from 1440P to 3440x1440 and wanting to be a gfx whore and have all the details on. A lot of legs in even the 9 series still to be fair.

Caporegime
Agreed. Whilst new tech comes out, the 10XX has a lot of time before it becomes useless. I only upgraded my 1080 to a 1080Ti because of going from 1440P to 3440x1440 and wanting to be a gfx whore and have all the details on. A lot of legs in even the 9 series still to be fair.

You wanna try the 1060 m8, it's epic at this res :p :D

Soldato
I didn't say it was useless, just that its days are near an end.

Back
Top Bottom