DC Vault

PDW

PDW

Associate
:(

The -t4 can be changed to whatever value works best for your machine, you'll have to have a play to work it out !

Soldato
OP
:(

The -t4 can be changed to whatever value works best for your machine, you'll have to have a play to work it out !

I've been playing, it doesn't scale well past 8 - 10 threads and at -t36 it all goes to pot, it runs just as long as a single thread! even though it does use all cores 100%. The only advantage I can see running multiple threads is for the long work units to shorten the time, it doesn't seem more productive, 1 wu/1 thread still seems to give the best PPD. I'm running long work units on my 8t i7 at 2 x 4t which seem to be the sweetspot, -t8 isn't as productive, -t2 is but takes too long.

Soldato
thought this place was dead now and everybody ran away, I was keen to get going again but lack of people around for weeks / months put me of
is it still cpu projects that need attention

Soldato
OP
It feels like the team's dead TBH, though looking at yesterday's stats a total of 64 OcUK members return work across all projects so it's not true.
I'm not really focusing on anything, just doing what I feel like, mainly personal goals.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Hi oz,

I thought you'd gone off on a round the world cruise on the back of your mining profits or perhaps too busy polishing your Ferrari :p

You can always see who's doing what by looking at the stats, I'm just having a relaxed time this year without FB sprint deadlines to worry about.
Generally just pushing on Vault projects and personal milestones, eg RakeSearch, SRBase, Acoustics, TN-Grid. The first two pay well the last two not so much. As hanluc said SRBase is out of work at the moment though.

GPUs are just finishing a PG badge before I move them over to push for another MM which also gives us Vault points

Whatever takes your fancy :)

PDW

PDW

Associate
I'm waiting for performance data to see how they compare with the 2950wx which I think is out tomorrow.
Also motherboards seem to be in short supply and memory no cheaper :(

I want to reduce my silicon footprint and replace two i7 8 thread machines with one TR. A 64 thread machine would be great but if performance is limited especially if I only put 32Gb RAM in it then I might opt for the newer 32 thread versions. Got lots of i7's so was hoping to get at least 2 new TR's but I want to make informed decisions :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Keep an eye out in the top machine project statistics to see how they perform on various projects, I noticed a couple of 2990wx doing yoyo, performance seemed decent on what I looked at. Not a cheap machines though, as well as the CPU, board and RAM prices also are a bit of a put off.

PDW

PDW

Associate
I know one of the guys at Taat has one. For the same number of threads a 2990wx makes more sense than two 2950x, only 1 board, PSU, RAM etc. If there are any projects it struggles with then accept it and try and use other machines on those, much like making windows/linux choices.

It would help to reduce the cost if there were decent boards, good at the basics without all the fancy stuff that will never get used :rolleyes:

Still going to wait for some reviews/figures as I'm not in a desperate rush, it's not like I don't have anything else to use at the moment :p

Soldato
managed to tidy my shed up and fire boinc up again on my machines, is enigma for gpu and universe on cpu worth running? what ever helps the most .. did try srbase and CSG but couldn't get any work. also looked at NFS as they are quicker run times than universe

PDW

PDW

Associate
Hi Oz, got to keep those spiders warm in there :p

Both worth running, if you want to do SRBase then leave it requesting work but have 1 or 2 projects on 0 resource as backups to do when it is out of work. Not sure how long CSG has been without work, not been there for a little while.

Here is the list of Vault projects and points per position...

https://roarnet.nl/iis/dpc/dcVaultStats.aspx?team=OcUK+-+Overclockers+UK

...mostly do what you fancy :)

Soldato
after looking it seems running NFS and primegrid would help more.. unless im looking at it wrong?

edit - I got it wrong I think it looks as if staying at enigma would gain a few places ?

PDW

PDW

Associate
Had just been looking to see how you got to your conclusions !

Yes, NFS has a couple of spots not too far ahead, good choice.
Primegrid is 272 million to get a spot so would take a while to get there !

I'm doing GPUgrid, mostly because it is medical, but I have Enigma on backup to fill in when GPUgrid is out of work.
I think users are spamming it to get work when it comes available, I'm not running out too often, usually it happens when an upload has stalled through not getting a connection to the server. Happy to do either but GPUgrid is my focus.

PDW

PDW

Associate
Change 4 to whatever value you want in the app_config.xml file....

<app_config>
<project_max_concurrent>4</project_max_concurrent>
</app_config>

Soldato
its Linux im stuck with now, jondi has explained before how to get into the project folder so I can change the threads in there but I cant remember how

edit - never mind I found it

instead of: type cd /var/lib/boinc-client
do this: type cd /var/lib/boinc-client/projects/www.cosmologyathome.org

That takes you straight to the project's folder.

Then type: sudo gedit app_config.xml
and fill in the stuff you want, should be able to see how to save and exit the editor !

typing: cd ..
will take you up a folder level.

Last edited:

PDW

PDW

Associate
Long time, no post !

We had been up in 4th place for quite a while but the TaaTies have decided to join in with the fun and jumped 2 spots and pushed us down to 5th :(

Back
Top Bottom