What's Intel iGPU like these days?

Soldato
What's Intel iGPU like these days with Linux as the last time i tried it was a few years ago the glitching and tearing was pretty bad even with VBlank enabled , even if the desktop looked ok when you moved a webpages up and down by dragging the cursor it would ripple and glitch?

Man of Honour
Intel GPU's have always been very well supported in Linux (apart from being a bit too low powered for any gaming). I am surprised you had issues. Generally the best support is Intel, followed by AMD, then lastly NVidia (NVidia proprietary drivers probably ahead of AMD but AMD has opened sourced theirs now so they are better if you prefer to stay with open source stuff).

I seem to recall that hardware scrolling is not enabled by default for Firefox (for any GPU). Could that have been the issue? What are the specs of the machine?

Soldato
OP
Firefox was just an example of something you could scroll fast as even file mangers caused sink issues if you moved the scroll sliders fast enough.

It was any sandybridge/ivybridge and at the time even 1080p had a constant 24fps frame drop stutter yet install any Nvidia card with the pipeline fix and it resolved everything.

Odd how we all have different experiences with Nvidia being last , /me shrugs. :)

Soldato
Did you try changing from SNA to UXA ? Enabling "TearFree" ? I have issues with SNA on my old intel HD, UXA works fine.

I tend to agree with Hades, I've had the most success with Intel GPUs than anything else.

Soldato
OP
Hard to remember what was tried to be honest as it was years ago and that hardware has long gone , all i remember trying was Vblank and compositors like Compton and none of them came close to Nvidia ( ForceCompositionPipeline ) for sync quality at the time.

This thread isn't full of people complaining about Intel GPU's so i'm guessing they are fine now. :)

Man of Honour
I never had any issues really with Intel iGPUs with Debian or Ubuntu - I've not really used Linux much in the last year or so but I can't really put AMD ahead of nVidia - can quibble about the open source versus propitiatory nature but if you are doing anything serious with regard to the GPU in Linux then nVidia is just miles ahead and yeah it sucks if you want to stick with a fully open setup but the reality very few people use Linux in that way and with a completely purist implementation anyway.

Man of Honour
I never had any issues really with Intel iGPUs with Debian or Ubuntu - I've not really used Linux much in the last year or so but I can't really put AMD ahead of nVidia - can quibble about the open source versus propitiatory nature but if you are doing anything serious with regard to the GPU in Linux then nVidia is just miles ahead and yeah it sucks if you want to stick with a fully open setup but the reality very few people use Linux in that way and with a completely purist implementation anyway.
Because AMD open sourced their drivers more recent kernels have the basic driver already built in. Granted a gamer would find a better experience on NV because one installation will install everything, whereas some components on AMD, such as Vulkan, still need to be installed separately. But for a general user there isn't even a need to install AMD drivers now.

Soldato
I just recently bought another ITX Mobo, CPU and RAM, and the CPU is an i5-6600K and the Mobo is a gigabyte H170-ITX
I did a bit of playing about with Mint 19 Cinnamon for a laugh and I used the onboard Intel 530 rather than the 970 I was going to plonk into it, and well, blow me, but I quickly copied Dark Crusade onto it, from my main Linux PC and I added it to the steam list ( So it does not have to download it all ) and I had a play, and it was fine.

I then added the CameraZoom files ( cos who the hell can play that without them ? ) and played the games for a bit in 1920x1080 with all the details up and it handled the game fairly well.

It was not 100% perfect no, but as someone who despises the intel GFX, I thought its come a long way since I last tried it.

There is absolutely no way it comes close to a half decent ATI or nVidia, but it is able to play games if you lower the detail, and the resolution.

Depends of course on how much yo uare willing to lower them, and what game you want to play doesnt it?

Soldato
I cannot comment on that. Nor can I do any tests at this time. I have used this setup for my latest Hackintosh.
I suppose I could tell you with maybe a blue ray on it cos I'm using El Capital on the Intel 530 graphics, but it's no longer a Linux PC. .. It never was to be, I just tried it for a few hours to see how it fared.

Back
Top Bottom