• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will Nvidia be selling 7nm graphic cards in 2019?

Soldato
When? aside from the FX series and a brief period between the 200 and 400 series when AMD got the 5000 series out ahead of them nVidia have always been atleast competitive with ATI/AMD.

HD5770 vs GTX260.
HD5850 vs everything else.
HD7850 vs GTX750/950.
R9 290/290X vs everything else.
R9 295 vs Titan Z.

All of those give Nvidia a very hard time.

Soldato
Vega Instinct end of this year shows TSMC's 7nm is ready to start building real things, so here's how I see 2019 panning out. tl;dr Nvidia will only release xx50/xx60 class GPUs on 7nm in 2019.

AMD Vega 20: end of 2018. This could well put the cat amongst the pigeons for Nvidia in the data center segment.
AMD Navi: end of 2019. Not expected to be anything more than a refined GTX 1080-class product, but if priced right could stir up the low to mid-range consumer market and make Nvidia think a little, but overall nothing to force Nvidia to accelerate their plans.
Nvidia 2050/2050 Ti/2060: middle of 2019. Let TSMC work out the kinks of their 7nm process getting all of AMD's kit going and then benefit from increasing maturity. Consider this an exercise in getting Turing's power draw down and working out their own kinks in shrinking Turing to 7nm.

Could AMD shrink Vega 10 to 7nm also for a refreshed RX Vega line? Perhaps. Is that what Vega 12 is? But I doubt it'll have performance gains sufficient to worry Nvidia into changing tack.

And based on all this conjecture above, Nvidia's 2020 plans will hinge entirely on AMD's Navi. If the 7nm 2050/2050 Ti/2060 experiment goes well, we could see the big RTX Titan on 7nm towards the end of 2019 just to overshadow Navi's launch. We may also get a big data center card to take it to Vega Instinct if does live up to speculation. Otherwise a full 7nm Turing refresh will only come out in 2020 if Navi shows any signs of competition at the upper end of the consumer segment; if Navi offers no competition, 7nm may well wait until Turing's successor.

I suppose it depends on how AMD plan to use 7nm and what it offers to the firm. I can see a lot of opportunity for AMD on 7nm in more than just graphics cards. One thing is clear though, the market has a massive hole in the £2-300 graphics card bracket. We could do with another R9 290 from AMD to fill that.

Soldato
Unless Nvidia release the x60 and bellow parts to test 7nm, i don't think they will have anything on 7nm this year.

Although V20 on 7nm will surprise people a lot and in good time. ;)

Man of Honour
HD5770 vs GTX260.
HD5850 vs everything else.
HD7850 vs GTX750/950.
R9 290/290X vs everything else.
R9 295 vs Titan Z.

All of those give Nvidia a very hard time.

The poster was talking about AMD offerings trouncing nVidia - none of those examples are true of that except for the 5000 series cards. (Well and the Titan Z which was a huge flop but nVidia still had the 780Ti SLI for those who wanted dual card performance which generally competed with the 295).

On release it took the 290 cards almost 2 years to catch up with the higher end Kepler cards across the board and while they might be the better offering these days that is so irrelevant in terms of competing with nVidia it's pretty laughable as a point in terms of trouncing nVidia.

Soldato
On release it took the 290 cards almost 2 years to catch up with the higher end Kepler cards across the board and while they might be the better offering these days that is so irrelevant in terms of competing with nVidia it's pretty laughable as a point in terms of trouncing nVidia.

Buy now play later. The DFS model.

Soldato
I think Nvidia will have 7nm cards out very soon. The new cards seem very power hungry on 14nm and power use has been one of Nvidia's customers main concerns for many years. Maybe that's a factor as to why these RXT cards have been met with such a tepid response.

Soldato
Not just AMD owners. These high frequency HDR Freesync displays are looking fantastic. AMD must have something planned.

https://wccftech.com/amd-confirms-new-7nm-radeon-graphics-cards-launching-in-2018/

HDR / Freesync is amazing for Xbox One X. I'm binning my Nvidia card shortly, just waiting on my VEGA to arrive. Then will try freesync out properly on PC games too.

Wander if AMD will deny drivers for these new GPU's prior to launch, release no performance figures and make reviewers sign a 3 year NDA too.. Oh wait that's just Nvidia.

Hopefully these aren't priced to fleece the very clothes from your backs and kidneys from your body's too.

Soldato
I think it is very likely that nvidia have a 7nm chip close to ready, I would suspect a pro card Q3 next year or earlier depending on competition.

Soldato
I think it is very likely that nvidia have a 7nm chip close to ready, I would suspect a pro card Q3 next year or earlier depending on competition.

Vega Instinct has been confirmed to release end of this year, having been moved forward a couple of months because TSMC's 7nm has been more successful than anticipated.

The question is though if we'll see any form of 7nm Vega for the consumer, given Navi is still over a year away.

Soldato
Imagine a Vega on 7nm with DDR memory. Would be a bit of a cracker, and cheaper to produce without HBM.

At the very least would need redesigned memory controller (beyond just a die shrink) for it to work, not for performance reason but for power draw reasons.

We do badly need some competition

Soldato
Imagine a Vega on 7nm with DDR memory. Would be a bit of a cracker, and cheaper to produce without HBM.
At the very least would need redesigned memory controller (beyond just a die shrink) for it to work, not for performance reason but for power draw reasons.

I wonder if Zen and the mining boom have given AMD enough cash to spin Navi off into 2 memory directions? Keep the HBM version for the pro and datacenter cards, but branch off a GDDR6 variant for consumer gaming.

Back
Top Bottom