Can I use my old memory with my new memory?

Associate
Hi,

I use my computer or gaming only

I have just updates my old 8gb (2x4gb) memory with 16gb (2x8gb) memory.

Both old and new ram sticks are the same brand, speed, and specs the only difference is the amount of ram.

I have read that mucking about with ram types is not good for gaming but wondered if it would be OK to use all my memory sticks (old and new) together in this case, or will this hinder gaming?

Currently I just have the new 16gb memory installed.

Thanks for your time helping me :0)

Soldato
Of course you can mix memory, gaming or not. The important thing though is to test the memory in the configuration you intend to run it, don't assume it will just run without testing it first.

Associate
I've always avoided mixing RAM types, sizes and timings. Bad, funky things can happen if it clashes.

Primary consideration here: No game in the world uses 16gb of RAM. You won't gain anything much from adding in the old stuff unless you're doing some heavy, non-gaming processing.

Associate
ive done it before without any issues... just remeber to run everything at the slowest speed and start from there ( so if you buy a fast set match it to the set you already have ) and also pair up the slot correctly. 1 - 3 and 2 - 4 with the same make ram.

Back
Top Bottom