Lan ports not working asus router

Associate
overnight the lan ports on my asus rt n56u have packed up can't see my desktop in the router settings or any other lan connected device my xbox ,smart tv , now tv box.

my desktop says Ethernet doesn't have valid ip configuration same if i plug the laptop in via Ethernet , i thought it was virgin medias fault at first break in the service but no if i plug my desktop direct into the hub 3 everything works. so it's not my pc or cables either.

wifi is still working though through the router :confused: just tried factory reset i have a exclamation mark at the top and this message below. lan still not working though.

t6pDNhK.jpg

not sure what that means ? any ideas or is it knackered :(

Associate
Hi

Did you solve this problem?

Strangely, my problem is exactly the same. Virgin media customer, RTN56u ports stopped working overnight around 3 weeks ago - so mid July 18.

I can wifi into it, but no lan ports.

Im resisting getting my wallet out for a new router. Ive had the rtn56u for a good few years now, but it was the most expensive router ive ever bought and lasted the shortest time!

Thought id ask you if you solved it, before I miserably buy a new one for some over inflated price.

Cheers

Associate
OP
no didn't solve it tried everything i could think off factory reset update firmware ect.. still wouldn't work i run mine in AP mode just for the wi fi you can put the virgin hub 3 in router mode disable the wi fi and just use the RTN56u for it's superior wi fi performance.

Last edited:
Associate
ah. shame. Good idea though. Was thinking of doing that but having it as an extender on the first floor. But for now, until we save some pennies and i get my head around what might be a good replacement, i might just steal your idea and use it in conjuction with the marvelous hub 3. (until i can find a better isp than virgin!)

thanks for taking the time to write back.

Associate
I have exactly the same problem - n56u, suddendly over night after several years with no problems at all, all the LAN ports wont work. The yellow lights are flickering still, the green ones (on the LAN port) are off. No connection possible.

Did you guys find a solution?
Else the idea using it as AP is not bad (just need to switch my both routers)

Soldato
From a quick look online a (temporary) fix may be to power it off, physically unplug it and leave it for a while to let the capacitors to discharge, and then power it up from completely cold. Seems to have fixed the issue for some people with Asus routers but who knows if it will reoccur.

Soldato
In general the words ‘ASUS’ and ‘router’ are best avoided in combination. The firmware history and related legal settlement/fines should be enough for anyone with any sense to run screaming in the opposite direction, the faked test data and resulting fines combine with what can only be described as an ASUS’ awful implementation/support of the MediaTek modem chipsets (others managed to use the same chipset with minimal/no issues) and having to deal with the switch hardware dropping off is unfortunately not that uncommon on the older generations.

Man of Honour
In general the words ‘ASUS’ and ‘router’ are best avoided in combination. The firmware history and related legal settlement/fines should be enough for anyone with any sense to run screaming in the opposite direction, the faked test data and resulting fines combine with what can only be described as an ASUS’ awful implementation/support of the MediaTek modem chipsets (others managed to use the same chipset with minimal/no issues) and having to deal with the switch hardware dropping off is unfortunately not that uncommon on the older generations.

The Merlin FW solves a lot of issues. One of my lines uses the Asus n66u - of all the things to die on it the latching mechanism on the power switch failed after a couple of years and now glued in place. Aside from turning it on initially the switch has never been used and should basically last forever... (sure freak failures do happen but still).

I dunno why I ever went back to purchasing Asus - for some reason I bought a bit of their hardware around 2013-14 (including the ROG Swift) and it has all failed on me despite being dressed up as a premium product and priced up likewise. Had the same story around 2006-7 and swore off them then.

Associate
OP
not sure about other Asus routers but the rt n56u has flimsy build quality and runs too hot was considering the AC68U Till i saw someone selling aftermarket fans too attach to the back of it :p on the other hand the linkys WRT32X i tried had superb build quality but i found the wifi range disappointing, will stick too my AP mode solution till AX capable routers come out and are reasonably priced.

Associate
Sorry, bit late lol but though may help others. I just had this with a rt-ac68u router that I bought for my folks about 2 years ago. We had a storm and next day no WAN. I tried everything, new cables, reboot etc. Then discovered that in firmware you can re-assign a LAN port to be backup WAN. Still working. Can't tell any difference except it lost a life lol. Apparently, it has failover and dual WAN. Hope may help others. Good luck.

Soldato
The LAN ports on my Netgear router stopped. They all lit up but no connection. I unplugged them all then reset via the pin hole waited until it booted back up then plugged them back in again...

Associate
I had the same issue. Overnight the LAN ports on the router would go down. It was never an issue before when using ADSL, but when we installed a Fibre line and started using the WAN port, it became an issue. I found that the router has power management features in the software, that allows it to turn off the LAN ports to save power if not used. I disabled this feature, but sadly the port of the one computer still gets turned off at night and I have to reboot the router every morning to get the ports alive again. I am now going to replace the router with another brand. This seems to be an Asus problem.

Back
Top Bottom