• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti 3DMark Score Allegedly Leaks, 35% Faster vs 1080 Ti

Associate
Laughable that someone can call people too selfish to help consumers when the last NVIDIA card they bought probably had silly box art and was AGP.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say anyway, but that goes without saying these days. Along with 12nm not being a "real node". What is it made of then? Mostly fiction? I guess that makes sense, actually.

AthlonXP1800 posted this not too long ago. We all want something for nothing, and that's not exclusive to those who can't justifiy 1,049 - 1,400 on a GPU.

And that list conveniently omits the true flagship cards of the last few generations. Call them prosumer cards or whatever you want, the Titans have generally been the top performing gaming cards and sit well outside that pricing trend.

If true 35% extra performance for 40%+ greater cost because of ray tracing just doesn't cut it for me.

Soldato
And that list conveniently omits the true flagship cards of the last few generations. Call them prosumer cards or whatever you want, the Titans have generally been the top performing gaming cards and sit well outside that pricing trend.

If true 35% extra performance for 40%+ greater cost because of ray tracing just doesn't cut it for me.

I don't disagree regarding the performance, but omitting halo products probably makes sense as the return on investment is always far worse. Much like the 8800 Ultra in the link I provided above. A GPU that came to market now over a decade ago.

Associate
And these people don't understand inflation, forex or the effects of Brexit

No-one understands what the real effects of Brexit are :p

As far as a 20 series Titan Card is concerned, am I correct in thinking that the 2080Ti is short of the maximum number of CUDA/Tensor cores for the chip and thus leaving the door open to a Titan card?

Also the question I would ask the people who have pre-ordered the 2080Ti is....."Are you going to be satisfied with running BF V with RTX and all the bells an whistles at 60+ FPS.....but at 1080P". This has been currently reported and shown by various YouTubers (JackFrags is the one I can remember off the top of my head).

Is it a willing trade off against resolution, performance hit and the actual cost of the card over the 10 series. Lots of things are going to be tested and benched in the next few months on the new cards which is going to be very interesting indeed and I am sure we are all looking forward to it. :D

Associate
Also the question I would ask the people who have pre-ordered the 2080Ti is....."Are you going to be satisfied with running BF V with RTX and all the bells an whistles at 60+ FPS.....but at 1080P". This has been currently reported and shown by various YouTubers (JackFrags is the one I can remember off the top of my head).
Even if they like the visual candy, as soon as it negatively impacts their k/d ratio then it will get turned off. Watching the Dice vid about raytracing in bf5, it sure looked nice, but as soon as it showed the train/bus (whatever it was) and they explained that the windows further away become more mirror-like and opaque (like real life, as they're at a shallower angle), it just made me realise that it could negatively impact mp. Imagine someone stood in that bus, without eye-candy you would be able to see them, but not with... So, as soon as the nice raytacing prevents being able to see enemies in MP it will get turned off, irrespective of fps.

Soldato
Even if they like the visual candy, as soon as it negatively impacts their k/d ratio then it will get turned off. Watching the Dice vid about raytracing in bf5, it sure looked nice, but as soon as it showed the train/bus (whatever it was) and they explained that the windows further away become more mirror-like and opaque (like real life, as they're at a shallower angle), it just made me realise that it could negatively impact mp. Imagine someone stood in that bus, without eye-candy you would be able to see them, but not with... So, as soon as the nice raytacing prevents being able to see enemies in MP it will get turned off, irrespective of fps.

Yeah, there is that. I'm more interested in the implementation in Metro Exodus and other games that work off atmosphere and lighting. In terms of competitive multiplayer, that element of compromise will always be there.

Soldato
AthlonXP1800 posted this not too long ago. We all want something for nothing, and that's not exclusive to those who can't justifiy 1,049 - 1,400 on a GPU.
Yes he did post that not too long ago, and it's mostly nonsense...

AthlonXP1800 said:
I am not sure why the majority in there complaining about RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti prices.
Really? You can't see that they are stupidly high compared to previous generations? Don't forget that top-end prices affect prices across the entire stack so even those who would never spend £800+ on a GPU are affected. Even the chart you posted shows the prices have jumped significantly for this generation and has never been this high.

AthlonXP1800+ said:
When GTX 1080 was launched back in 2016 it was cost around £650 for reference blower cards and £750+ for custom cards there at OCUK, it amazed me nobody complained about the prices! Same thing with GTX 980 Ti and Titan X prices and everybody was fine with these prices.
No-one complained? Pure falsehoods.

AthlonXP1800 said:
I wondered what the majority in here had been doing 11 years ago in 2007?
So is the argument that because prices were nearly as bad in a single year 11 years ago, it's not a problem that they're even worse now? Huh?

AthlonXP1800 said:
8800 Ultra was launched on 2 May 2007, it was the most expensive GPU ever cost $850 compared to Geforce 8800 GTX cost $600 launched back in November 2006. I remembered bought Gainward Geforce 8800 GTX which used reference design for over £400 from competitor and I was on nvnews.net forum at the time remembered many people on the forum bought custom 8800 GTX and 8800 Ultra cards were fine with high prices and nobody complained about very high dollar price $1000 for custom cards. Cant remembered what 8800 Ultra prices at OCUK was, May 2007 exchange rate was $1.99 and UK VAT was 17.5% probably cost £500 for reference cards and £600+ for custom cards at OCUK.
The pound being strong definitely helped UK prices but I still don't understand the point of this.

AthlonXP1800 said:
Imagine if today exchange rate $1.29 and UK 20% VAT were applied in 2007 then Geforce 8800 Ultra would cost £799 for reference cards and £899+ for custom cards
Which would also be high.

AthlonXP1800 said:
so RTX 2080 prices is not that bad. :)
Yeah not that bad compared to something that was also really bad.

The entire argument seems to be "Hey, stop looking at that giant turd, I found an even bigger turd!"

We might do.

It would probably have 4608 cuda cores vs the 4352 on the 2080Ti and 32GB GDDR6 RAM (384-bit vs 352-bit bus) if they did. (Clocks TBD). In other words an overclocked Quadro RTX 8000 with less VRAM
Isn't there already a £2k+ Titan card, the Titan V?

Soldato
Soldato

The devs have said they had 2 weeks with turing befire the demo - they've built their own raytracing code using DXRT instead of using RTX sdk, they've serialised the Raytracing instead of parrelising it as per nvidia's recomendation and they've identified an issue with their geometry which they think would represent a 30% improvement, they also say they didn't test 4k beforehand and were surprised it ran at all let alone at 30fps. They also plan on adding a detail slider for raytracing so that you can lessen the impact if you choose to. No I wouldn't go ahead with the purchase of a 2080ti if it can only do 1080p 60fps in the games I want to use it for, but realistically I don't think that is going to be the end result.

Soldato
Yes he did post that not too long ago, and it's mostly nonsense...

It was more the chart from HardOCP. I just quoted the post as it seemed like the right thing to do. You seemed to have looked past this though which says a lot by itself.

The fact people are still moaning about high-end GPU prices now the same way they were a decade ago should be enough evidence for any sane person to realise their idealism isn't going to get them a damn thing.

Soldato
I agree that is what some will do. I know some people play elite on minimum detail for similar reasons. Madness in my view but then in not a competitive gamer
It does reinforce my view tho that BF5 was a strange choice to showcase the new eyecandy.

The metro game and tomb raider make more sense

Soldato
35% between generations would be a failure under normal conditions. Considering the price hikes, lateness and golden 2.5 years Nvidia have had just being handed money 35% would be an epic failure.

I think this leak is rubbish. I reckon the 2080 will be 35% faster than the 1080ti maybe even the 2070.
I would love you to be right . I am not confident however

Soldato
It was more the chart from HardOCP. I just quoted the post as it seemed like the right thing to do. You seemed to have looked past this though which says a lot by itself.
So why did you want to post the chart then? You didn't really make any points in that post, aside from:

We all want something for nothing, and that's not exclusive to those who can't justifiy 1,049 - 1,400 on a GPU.

The fact people are still moaning about high-end GPU prices now the same way they were a decade ago should be enough evidence for any sane person to realise their idealism isn't going to get them a damn thing.
Oh I don't expect anything to happen about the prices unless a competitor appears, that's how a free market works. That doesn't mean it's not worth mentioning - the more people who realise what's going on, the fewer people might buy into a monopoly. Who knows if it'll make enough of a difference overall, depends how widespread the criticism gets. I think people are right to be annoyed when they get priced out of a hobby because of a company's greed and lack of competition; to say "shut up and get over it" isn't very productive.

Wanting "something for nothing" is a nonsense strawman argument and no-one has said anything of the sort. I'm very glad I didn't wait for Vega in the end but I feel bad for anyone who was assuming that 2 years after the launch of the GTX 10 series we'd have more affordable 1440p or 2160p cards.

Soldato
So why did you want to post the chart then? You didn't really make any points in that post, aside from:

The point is the chart, which shows the high-end card pricing (excluding Halo products) for each generation taking into account inflation based on statistics found on CPI-U for the given time period. The most note worthy thing, however, is as mentioned in the article from which the snippet is taken.

When adjusted for inflation the 1080 Ti almost exactly matches the price of the GeForce 2 Ultra from back in 2000.

Also wanting something for nothing is as far from a strawman argument as is humanly possible. Everybody wants a bargain, some simply can't justify the means without one.

Permabanned
The devs have said they had 2 weeks with turing befire the demo - they've built their own raytracing code using DXRT instead of using RTX sdk, they've serialised the Raytracing instead of parrelising it as per nvidia's recomendation and they've identified an issue with their geometry which they think would represent a 30% improvement, they also say they didn't test 4k beforehand and were surprised it ran at all let alone at 30fps. They also plan on adding a detail slider for raytracing so that you can lessen the impact if you choose to. No I wouldn't go ahead with the purchase of a 2080ti if it can only do 1080p 60fps in the games I want to use it for, but realistically I don't think that is going to be the end result.

Well at least you are buying it while acknowledging that full ray traced scenes at 60+ FPS are not an option. Most people buying it do not understand this.

Associate
The thing in the back of my mind is when Jensen came out to reveal the new series of GPUs is that he said " the rumours have been way off this year " or words to that effect , now other than then the 11** series nomenclature being wrong ( but rtx rumour was out ) he didn't reveal anything else we were wrong about ... So maybe performance is epic ?

Back
Top Bottom