Is my psu on its way out?

Soldato
Hey all,

So my pc up and decided it was going to stop turning on.
So I tried an other psu and it turned on, so psu?
It's a full modular psu so I pulled all the cables out and plugged them back in (admittedly in different slots) and now the pc's all back up and running.
None of the cables were specifically loose, so should I just chalk it up to a dodgy connection or should I prepare for it to go down again in the near future?

Associate
Nothing wrong in removing all cables and reseating them every few months. Worth reseating graphics cards, memory as well for peace of mind.

As you have just removed and reseated all cables keep an eye on the problem you were having and obviously if it happens again then the unit is dodgy.

You should be ok now though :)

Soldato
What's that particular PSU?

And what parts you have in computer?
Instead of biggest marketing number you should get quality PSU.

Soldato
Worth reseating graphics cards, memory as well for peace of mind.
why would you reseat the gpu and memory every few months 'for peace of mind' ?? :confused:

unless you move your pc about a lot or it's in a place where it's prone to bumps and bangs there's absolutely nothing i can think of that would cause them to come out on their own. they all have retention 'locks' in place too. that's a bizarre thing to do and slightly dodgy advice to be hoesnt.

Man of Honour
SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W,
I have an AMD 1600X and a R9 290X

It is 4 years old now, getting on a bit

It's you have swapped it out the it would appear to be a faulty PSU.. You can hot wire the PSU and check the rails using a multi-meter if you have one to hand to make sure.

According to the manufacturers website, it has a 5 year warranty so I'd raise an RMA ASAP.

Personally, I 'd buy a new one then sell the returned version (when it comes) to rever some of the cost or keep as a spare because that process can be quite lengthy.

Associate
why would you reseat the gpu and memory every few months 'for peace of mind' ?? :confused:

unless you move your pc about a lot or it's in a place where it's prone to bumps and bangs there's absolutely nothing i can think of that would cause them to come out on their own. they all have retention 'locks' in place too. that's a bizarre thing to do and slightly dodgy advice to be hoesnt.

No it isnt dodgy at all lol

Back
Top Bottom