Time to switch to console gaming :)

Associate
@FooVanCleef
Replying to @XboxQwik
are there any plans to do anything about people using mouse and keyboard adapters (e.g., XIM) to play shooters on xbox?

Mike Ybarra
@XboxQwik
Developers have the choice to use APIs that detect and not allow these. It’s up to them, but the capability is there.

Six months ago they asked xbox alpha group loads of questions regarding xim. It was wise for me to stop using mine, I think they are collecting information before acting.

Last edited:
Associate
It was wise for me to stop using mine, I think they are collecting information before acting.

Neither MS or Sony have an issues with people using them. Sony even have their own licensed version of m&KB (hori tac pro) and I'm sure I read somewhere that Microsoft were developing a mouse and keyboard for Xbox with Razer.

Man of Honour
Neither MS or Sony have an issues with people using them. Sony even have their own licensed version of m&KB (hori tac pro) and I'm sure I read somewhere that Microsoft were developing a mouse and keyboard for Xbox with Razer.
The official devices tend to be recognised as M&KB and put on their own server or with PC players in online games.

Associate
OP
Ultimately after a lot of youtube watching and playing in stores, I've decided to go with an Xbox One S.
[1] It worked out cheaper and easier to play the titles I want to play (mainly due to EA access).
[2] It worked out cheaper to buy (I could get a new Xbox One S with two games for £210 new with 3 months Xbox Live, a similar package was £70+ for a PS4 slim).
[3] I didn't really like many of the walkthroughs of the PS4 exclusives.
[4] I didn't really prefer one interface over the other.
I didn't realise people where as crazy about playstation vs xbox as they seem to be, both seem like great consoles, surely it's just about the games you want to play and the price at the end of the day?

Soldato
Ultimately after a lot of youtube watching and playing in stores, I've decided to go with an Xbox One S.
[1] It worked out cheaper and easier to play the titles I want to play (mainly due to EA access).
[2] It worked out cheaper to buy (I could get a new Xbox One S with two games for £210 new with 3 months Xbox Live, a similar package was £70+ for a PS4 slim).
I didn't realise people where as crazy about playstation vs xbox as they seem to be, both seem like great consoles, surely it's just about the games you want to play and the price at the end of the day?

Enjoy your XB1S its a decent console, and you'll have plenty to play on it for a while to come. The money you'll save playing EA games on access you can put aside and get a PS4 later in the year and play the exclusives you have missed out on.

Associate

Yea, the console war thing is a bit silly. As you said it really comes down to which games that you prefer.

As you've decided to get an Xbox, the game pass (think its called that) seems like it's worth having a look at as well.

Associate

Can you let us know where you got the xbox one s deal from please? Cant seem to find it.

Caporegime
I like both consoles. The swinger with me though is the pads. I have very small hands and I just find the XB pads uncomfortable. Dual shocks fit my hands much better and I can play for longer without getting any ache in my joints.

Don
I like both consoles. The swinger with me though is the pads. I have very small hands and I just find the XB pads uncomfortable. Dual shocks fit my hands much better and I can play for longer without getting any ache in my joints.

It's strange, ever since the original Xbox I was reluctant to go Sony because of the Pads, despite buying a PS3 and a PS4 I did not like swapping from one pad to another. I was a MS boy all the way through to the One until the the PS4 Pro came out and I made a spontaneous buy not really taking into account the pad. After just using it I instantly got used to it, now it's completely alien holding the Xbox controller!

Soldato
I have all three main consoles and play on them all really I have no favourite there are games on all I like. I don’t get on too well with the PS4 pads I find the Xbox pad much nicer to use. The Xbox interface is a horrid thing that really gets on my nerves at times. The PS4 has a much nicer cleaner interface. The switch is a nice system but the re-release of older games that cost under £10 for over £40-£50 is annoying.

The One X is the most powerful on paper but tbh I see very little difference between it and the PS4 pro in game. Both machines have some stunning looking games tbh.

If buying one I would most likely get the One X but tbh I would get both by looking at second hand deals.

I gave up with PC’s a few years back and tbh will not go back for gaming. The cost vs difference you get is just not worth it if you ask me.

Caporegime
The Xbox interface is a horrid thing that really gets on my nerves at times. The PS4 has a much nicer cleaner interface. .

I agree that the PS4 interface is nice but all that stuff they added on when you scroll down from a game is mostly just useless and adds to the lagginess whilst it tries to load internet video streams, etc. They should allow you to turn all that off.

However, I really like the pop up menu system on the Xbone now. You can pretty do much everything just from that little overlay - launch a new game, capture video, upload it to OneDrive, etc. Works pretty good.

Soldato
Time to switch to console gaming? Eh, No.

The only positive aspect going for consoles is their very few exclusive first party titles. Everything else, and i do mean everything else, is a step backwards.

Want to play consoles games? Wait until the generation is over, pick up the console for less than £100, and the exclusive games for under a tenner a pop. Then sell the lot once your done and make your money back. That's console gaming for me in a nutshell.

You make a very compelling argument. You've hit the nail on the head with all the facts you've stated, backed up by solid evidence and you've convinced me. My useless Xbox One is going right into the bin as soon as I get home! :rolleyes:

On a serious note, I picked up an Xbox One S to use along with my PCs, and there are merits to both. I can play on my PC whilst my little boy plays something on the Xbox, or vice versa. I have Xbox Game Pass which gets me loads of good games to play and I also get a choice of three free games per month on Live. I picked up EA Access because I play Madden and I was interested in trying some of the other sports games, and I don't care if the names are from a year or two ago, it really doesn't matter to me. Aside from that, there are loads of other good games on there like Dragon Age Inquisition which I didn't play, a few BF games and other decent stuff too. I actually only purchased the EA Access sub because I was going to buy Unravel for £15 and paying £19 and getting Unravel included seemed silly to ignore.

Nevermind that I can also play most of my old Xbox 360 games that I've still got. I also quite like the Xbox One interface, especially with how it integrates things like Mixer into your game tabs so that you can watch videos of others playing. It's all a step in the right direction for interactive gaming and I love it.

For people gaming on a budget, consoles absolutely do work for them. You cannot argue this point and you certainly can't disagree that they're a popular option for many.

Associate
OP
So I thought I'd give a little update on how I've found the switch to a console.

Positives:
I massively appreciate getting to game quicker, hold the Xbox symbol on the controller in the living room and I'm gaming within a minute.
I really enjoy that the gaming experience is more normalised, it's in the living room, so you're not off in some side room with your headset on.
I love being able to play games I've missed (especially the sports games)
Some of the games I've played feel better (performance wise) than on my gaming systems. They *should* play better on my gaming setup, but on XBox they feel better (I don't know why or how)

Downsides:
On FPS games I do miss my keyboard and mouse.
The interface frustrates me at times, it's not the 'centre of entertainment' is should be.

Soldato
The XBox interface isn't the best. You do get used to it though once you find your way around.

Two FPS games that are superb with a controller are Destiny and Overwatch. I used to only play with kb+m but now I can't go back to it as I'm all over the place. It's just practice.

Back
Top Bottom