Anybody on Three?

Associate
Joined 3 this year.
Speeds are a little slower than O2, but the price is much better.
After topcashback and a discount, I'm paying the equivalent of £2 per month for 12gb and ayce mins/txts

Man of Honour
They really need to sort their website out. It resembles something from 1999 I swear. Half the time the account management options are broken, and if you've forgotten your password then for some reason it takes days to receive it (tried 3x email providers). It looks complete cack.

To top it off their app is no better on Android. I've noticed for a few years (across 2 phones) now that it seems to run as a service for some reason so it is always there as a background process. Uninstalled it right away.

It basically looks like one of those very old mobile sites designed for WAP or whatever it was, very basic html to minimise data usage in the days before 3G with everything separated into little pages with hyperlinks along the side (and some broken links with help pages that don't match the content). I'm pretty sure the account management option is broken n my account. I've given up after setting PIN multiple times.

Soldato
It basically looks like one of those very old mobile sites designed for WAP or whatever it was, very basic html to minimise data usage in the days before 3G with everything separated into little pages with hyperlinks along the side (and some broken links with help pages that don't match the content). I'm pretty sure the account management option is broken n my account. I've given up after setting PIN multiple times.
WAP - now there's a name I haven't heard in a long, long time. If you think your account management is broken, then I'd given them a ring before you have issues in future when you really need to access something important. On my account the International Settings page was totally broken, and I had nothing there at all (tried various browsers). Three custy support eventually restored that as per my earlier message in the thread.

Soldato
I'm with Three and they aren't great in my experience. Signal is poor at home (no signal some of the time) and also flaky whilst commuting (especially between Eastleigh & Winchester). I've also been unable to disable the adult content filter (no sniggering at the back!) despite going through the [very antiquated] website to tweak preferences etc.

Main reason I went with them was a cheap contract offering but I will switch away when it runs out.

Pretty much this for me. I signed up to them three or four years ago on a rolling SIM-only contract because they were doing unlimited data/200 minutes for £17pcm. I use my phone far more for data than for calls, so this was agreeable to me. But I was regularly finding that I couldn't get signal or data both in my home and at my work - which in the latter case is at the top of a hill in range of several repeaters. I found a good deal with O2 and went back to them, and immediately all my signal problems vanished.

Associate
I have been with three for about a year and the service is satisfactory at best here in bournemouth, i get like 20mbps down and 7 mbps up.

I am now moving away from three and towards virgin media mobile, because first off pay go on three for unlimited data is 35 quid every time and virgins offer is 25 quid a month so i will hopefully get a sim card for that for unlimited calls text and data.

38132198_10156591382507375_4377134886570426368_o.jpg

Since i am already a customer for virgin cable broadband and phone, i can get this deal for 25 quid a month, just hope the sim card comes, also i think virgin media mobile uses the ee mobile service.

If you want to know what three is like for you then i recommend you get a pay as you go sim card and do all of that way just to see what the service is like and not getting tied into a contract.

As i know paygo and contract gives you the same speed you see.

Also until virgin changes it like what three did with their one plan, you will have unlimited tethering as well, because i asked if tethering was unlimited and they said yes,

But with unlimited tethering there is a fair use policy though.

Three's one plan > https://jmcomms.com/2014/07/14/thre...-what-it-means-to-new-and-existing-customers/ https://forums.digitalspy.com/discu...ases-out-the-one-plan-and-unlimited-tethering

So yeah folks, Only virgin and giffgaff is allowing unlimited tethering here out of every single mobile provider at full speed but full speed on giffgaff is reduced a lot when you pass 20 gbs of data then it is 384kbps after that.

However regarding unlimited tethering, it will be full speed, unlike giffgaffs policy of 384kbps speed you see.

Read this about virgin media mobile and tethering etc > http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/02/vi...ata-plan-with-zero-limits-even-for-tethering/ http://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...he-uks-first-truly-unlimited-mobile-plan.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Was on three for years, loved to EE as EE is better for me at home

Only issue had with 3 is in major cities 4G speeds were not that great. Good value for money though.

Im much happier on EE now :)

Soldato
6 years here.

Got a dual sim phone with EE in the other slot and more often than not 3 has better signal down here (south coast). When I do lose 3 signal I also tend to have no EE.

Been abroad a few times (Norway and Guernsey) and 3 has been actually pretty good.

EE can be faster speeds in more congested areas but getting unlimited data for £18/month with 3 and nobody else comes close to that.

Associate
I've been with them on SIM only rolling monthly for 5+ years. Coverage is no worse than my previous T-Mobile/EE. It's cheap, data is unlimited and I get 30GB tethered data for peanuts a month. I went SIM only so I could swap around for the best deal, not found anyone that can beat Three so far.

VoLTE works on my iPhone, bought from Apple (not Three). 4G is faster than my Fibre internet...

Apple phones whether bought direct from Three or not will all receive Three's VoLTE (Supervoice) service. Annoyingly Android phones have to be bought direct from Three to have this service enabled.

My only real gripe with them that makes me contemplate changing.

Last edited:
Associate
Been with Three for a long time now. The 'feel at home' is alright but the data speeds are pretty horrendous (and definitely capped) so at times its unusable for anything practical.

I've considered moving to EE, but I get unlimited everything for £21 a month which I can't seem to beat.

Soldato
Apple phones whether brought direct from Three or not will all receive Three's VoLTE (Supervoice) service. Annoyingly Android phones have to be brought direct from Three to have this service enabled.

My only real gripe with them that makes me contemplate changing.

The beauty of hardware and software that's well integrated from the same vendor. ;)

Back in the late 90s, networks wouldn't allow unapproved devices on their GSM networks and each device went through rigorous testing processes. Given the crap shoot that's the near infinite Android handset market I can't blame Three for only supporting devices with approved hardware/software.

Soldato
Just had a call with 3 sales - they gave me contradictory advice:

I have poor 3g reception, so want to exploit either wi-fi calling or 4g super-voice.(Volte) at home.
  • One lady told me 4G super voice is not available with their PAYG , and that I would need a monthly contract, another guy said it is ?
    [I understand for 4G supervoice there are only a few select iphone models this would work on, if you did not purchase from three]
  • They both confirmed wi-fi calling will work with a PAYG contract .

I wanted to take a payg, so I can potentially continue with my O2 contract.

If you do not use their Volte service, can you install an use an IP softphone like X-lite via 4G, or is the latency bad because the protocol is not prioritized ?

Soldato
Just had a call with 3 sales - they gave me contradictory advice:

I have poor 3g reception, so want to exploit either wi-fi calling or 4g super-voice.(Volte) at home.
  • One lady told me 4G super voice is not available with their PAYG , and that I would need a monthly contract, another guy said it is ?
    [I understand for 4G supervoice there are only a few select iphone models this would work on, if you did not purchase from three]
  • They both confirmed wi-fi calling will work with a PAYG contract .

I wanted to take a payg, so I can potentially continue with my O2 contract.

If you do not use their Volte service, can you install an use an IP softphone like X-lite via 4G, or is the latency bad because the protocol is not prioritized ?

to confirm, my brother has payg on 3 and wifi calling works with his Samsung S7

now, the issue here is, 3 wifi calling only kicks in when there is zero or no reception, this is different to how the the other networks work

We have rubbish 3 network at home so thats probably why we see it come on.

Soldato
now, the issue here is, 3 wifi calling only kicks in when there is zero or no reception, this is different to how the the other networks work

Thanks, I guess I can't just turn off the 3g/4g phone aerial, leaving just the wifi phone connectivity, to trick it into using wifi calling
(reception is so bad you can sometimes start a call and loose it 15s later, unless you run into garden)

can you install an use an IP softphone like X-lite via 4G
These were the two softphones I was considering
https://www.counterpath.com/ios-sip-softphone/ OR
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zoiper.android.app

Soldato
Thanks, I guess I can't just turn off the 3g/4g phone aerial, leaving just the wifi phone connectivity, to trick it into using wifi calling
(reception is so bad you can sometimes start a call and loose it 15s later, unless you run into garden)

These were the two softphones I was considering
https://www.counterpath.com/ios-sip-softphone/ OR
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zoiper.android.app

That’s correct, turn flight mode on, then turn WiFi in and WiFi calling will work, note your phone has to support WiFi calling

Caporegime
Can only really speak for London but after many years I am leaving 3. Their signal is just shocking; large parts of where I live, most major transport hubs in SW London, on the way to work, on the way back home, random parts of central London, inside most buildings, bad weather and God knows what else - all of these have none-crap signal. My signal suddenly drops and then pops back up again, I often get fake signal (bars show, nothing there) and streaming the most basic YouTube content can be a struggle. Using Maps in London? That's about a 50/50 chance of it working properly.

This is across multiple devices and sims. I rang them up to leave the other day and with no surprise, they obviously tried to claim they could sort it out. I told them at the start of the call, I bet they will agree with me it's clearly an issue on their end rather than a single fault but they still tried. The first postcode I gave them......."looks like there may be issues in that area, will be fixed shortly".....fancy that! The next several postcodes I supplied turned out to be "maximum capacity" and the call was over fairly quickly. I hope EE are better.

Permabanned
Yea, there is an all you can eat text/calls + 30gb data for £16/pm here or the £18/pm with £60 cashback on quidco for the same which is about a £35 saving if my maths is any cop.

That link is for additional plans only.

Got a link for the £18/pm deal? I don't see anything on their website about cashback.

Soldato
That link is for additional plans only.

Got a link for the £18/pm deal? I don't see anything on their website about cashback.

https://www.quidco.com/three-sim-only-contracts/

I'm pretty sure the existing members only deal works for anyone, the validation is just a phone number, any phone number, doesn't even have to be Three. Apparently it is/was a glitch.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/th...ny-number-to-get-cheaper-prices-three-3001035

Go to Three mobile existing SIM ONLY page as per the link above.

Select the package you want

When asked enter any mobile number (mine was a BT Sim Only) number, to confirm you are a Three mobile customer (even though you probably arnt)

CONGRATULATIONS! You get any plan much cheaper...

Permabanned
Soldato
I moved to Three a few months ago from Vodafone and for £20/month I get 30GB data and unlimited calls and texts which is saving me nearly a tenner a month and I only got one third the data previously!

One big plus point is there inclusive data allowance in Europe and the US! Vodafone were going to charge me extra to use my data in the US which would suck.

The only slight downside is that roaming on Three is limited to HSDPA no 4G but it's still more than useable.

Back
Top Bottom